GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
“He can play on my college team anytime but I have no interest in him for the NHL”

Seth Jarvis leads the Hurricanes in hits by forwards.

I was always high on Jarvis personally (4th on my 2020 list :D) but it is still a concern that he might have a shorter career.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I was always high on Jarvis personally (4th on my 2020 list :D) but it is still a concern that he might have a shorter career.
Moral of the story, Brindley is what I’d label as a ”winner/gamer” just like Jarvis.

I’ll build my team with as many of those guys as I can take.

Whereas someone like Dumais IMO is “just” a “scorer.”

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So in terms of this draft and where we sit there are some pretty big players available and also in positions of need. Im curious to see what direction the team goes. Do they look at a Lindstrom to find that huge potential 2C behind Fantilli for the forseeable future or do they look to add more defense. Fantilli-Lindstrom-Sillinger would be a far cry from what we had not long ago. Also having Sillinger at 3C is not a slight to him, it would be a depth benefit in a position we've been missing for basically our existence

Id have to guess Lindstrom, Silayev and Dickinson are some prospects of interest based on our current position in the standings

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
So in terms of this draft and where we sit there are some pretty big players available and also in positions of need. Im curious to see what direction the team goes. Do they look at a Lindstrom to find that huge potential 2C behind Fantilli for the forseeable future or do they look to add more defense. Fantilli-Lindstrom-Sillinger would be a far cry from what we had not long ago. Also having Sillinger at 3C is not a slight to him, it would be a depth benefit in a position we've been missing for basically our existence

Id have to guess Lindstrom, Silayev and Dickinson are some prospects of interest based on our current position in the standings
I’d prefer D to a F. Assuming we are picking 3OA or later.

Otherwise give me Celebrini or Demidov.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023

I'd like Catton as the 2C option. I'm not convinced with Lindstrom but he clearly has some great tools.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

If Sillinger could be a Cirelli type, that would be incredible for the team's future.

I think they go D.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
How many players in the 2024 draft look to make the jump to the NHL next season?

-----Celebrini seems like a no-brainer to jump if he wants it.
-----Assuming Silayev is locked in a couple more years in the KHL
-----Its less common for a defenseman to make the jump in their draft year which the top of this draft is heavy on
-----No elite Canadian Juniors players
-----Not many Euros at the top of the list who have been playing with men either

I realize its hard to predict because we don't even know who will be running the next draft for the CBJ but without any immediate help does anyone see the team moving off a #4 - #6 overall pick for something tantalizing?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
How many players in the 2024 draft look to make the jump to the NHL next season?

-----Celebrini seems like a no-brainer to jump if he wants it.
-----Assuming Silayev is locked in a couple more years in the KHL
-----Its less common for a defenseman to make the jump in their draft year which the top of this draft is heavy on
-----No elite Canadian Juniors players
-----Not many Euros at the top of the list who have been playing with men either

I realize its hard to predict because we don't even know who will be running the next draft for the CBJ but without any immediate help does anyone see the team moving off a #4 - #6 overall pick for something tantalizing?
I hope that they do not trade a pick that low in the draft.

I’d say 3 or less play NHL games next year.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I hope that they do not trade a pick that low in the draft.

I’d say 3 or less play NHL games next year.

And a good bet that the 2nd and 3rd (or possibly all 3) provide negligible value to their NHL teams next year.

Like Adam Fantilli is one of the most valuable assets in the NHL but he's also -21 for a reason this year. We aren't good with him on the ice. He's a kid. If you really want immediate help, the NHL draft isn't where you go.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
And a good bet that the 2nd and 3rd (or possibly all 3) provide negligible value to their NHL teams next year.

Like Adam Fantilli is one of the most valuable assets in the NHL but he's also -21 for a reason this year. We aren't good with him on the ice. He's a kid. If you really want immediate help, the NHL draft isn't where you go.
Agreed - on everything but Fantilli.

FWIW I think 1 guy could help his team next season. I said 3 because there will be 2 other teams that rush whoever they select.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I thought we liked to draft Russians more than your typical NHL team, but look at Carolina’s last 2 drafts. 17 picks and 9 are Russians.

1707402520270.png

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Haven't seen a lot of talk about this guy, I guess he isn't projected to go very early in the draft. Leading scorer for OHL's bottom-dweller Niagara (26-18-44 in 51gp), based on quick highlight scouting I've started thinking could He become a Hagel/Coleman type middle-6 winger?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Haven't seen a lot of talk about this guy, I guess he isn't projected to go very early in the draft. Leading scorer for OHL's bottom-dweller Niagara (26-18-44 in 51gp), based on quick highlight scouting I've started thinking could He become a Hagel/Coleman type middle-6 winger?

Are you saying he is “him”?
Seems like a day 2 type of selection, yep.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
IF YOU WANT NOTHING TO DO WOTH TANKING, SKIP THIS POST

Losses in the main four point games coming up (Sens, Ducks and Sabres) mean a lot w.r.t. draft positioning. I know I’d personally feel a bit better about it.

Reactions: EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Great tank loss last night. Now entering the CBJ need to win as many as possible to ensure future success phase of the season. How's that working so far? I guess about as well as CBJ should lose as many as possible to ensure a top draft pick.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
15-10-5 in their next 30 would put them at a 77 points and a 0.469 Pts%. Let’s assume a 15% regression from other teams current Pts% due to their TDL moves: in this scenario the CBJ should be picking at 8OA (true 10OA worst case) or better. The “best” they can probably pick is 3OA (5OA worst case). If you assume other teams regress 10% instead, the CBJ move to picking 6OA (8OA) or better even going 15-10-5.

Last year the CBJ went 9-16-5 (0.383 Pts%) in their last 30. 16-32-4 (0.346 Pts%) in their first 52. About an 11% improvement for the last 30 GP.

If the CBJ’s last 30 games replicate last year (improving 11%) I don’t see any way where they aren’t picking 4OA (6OA).

Long story short, if you are a CBJ fan looking for draft prospects to check up on, a safe bet even with a win streak seems like 5OA - 9OA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic and Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad