GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Impossible to evaluate without exact details. Would need to know what the other picks were.
Not sure if I wanna even know.

Hoping for the best going forward with Lindstrom as a core piece. We've needed big two-way centers with top-6 upside on our pool, and he checks so many boxes with his tools. He's making fans happy for a reason but I personally just can't allow myself to get really excited until I see at least one issue-free season from him in the dub where he continues to dominate on the scoreboard while playing his natural physical power-forward game.

All reported almost-trades around 4OA pick just go to show how highly CBJ brass thinks of Lindstrom, and how big of a gap there must have been between him and players right after on their list, Demidov for example.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Have to say, as someone who usually sticks up for ESPN’s coverage, I didn’t like the draft coverage this year. Buccigross and Weekes are fine by themselves, but together they made everything too relaxed. They kept making jokes or hockey phrases that I understand and us in here understand, but the average non hockey person wouldn’t. I thought Kaplan tried to be the “pro” of the group, but she was outgunned by the other three. Meghan Chayka was fine but she mostly played into the “fun” atmosphere that Weekes and Bucci were doing. Some fun is good but I was looking for legitimate insight into these players and all I got was “he’s sick” “he’s a sniper” and “he’s got silky mits.”

Reactions: Youngguns80

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Dude (Lindstrom) is 18, without knowing any details on his back, I think he'll be fine. Or not. Who knows. I don't think anyone saw Pulju going through hip surgery at 20 and having them replaced at 24-25 or whatever.

What I do know fans have no medical information whatsoever, so who cares what an internet rando thinks about Lindstrom's back :D For anyone worried, I'd say if you really feel like you have to worry about something, there are better things to worry about.

Reactions: LJ7

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Missed most of the thread through the 1st round but I'm thrilled with the pick. Recognizing none of the young players are "sure things", when drafting high the likelihood of the player hitting is much higher. And from what we've seen with the other center depth in the club the thought of some combination of Fantilli, Sillinger, Del bel Belluz, Voronkov, Keskinen and Lindstrom as natural centers, with Jenner, Johnson and Brindley as possible centers... we've never seen any possible future like this up the middle. That is finally some serious depth... now.... please let them hit their mid or ceiling... wow

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Have to say, as someone who usually sticks up for ESPN’s coverage, I didn’t like the draft coverage this year. Buccigross and Weekes are fine by themselves, but together they made everything too relaxed.

I thought the local radio station The Fan was excellent. They had interviews with Lindstrom, Waddell, and people around the league. It was very Jackets focused, but it covered more topics than the draft. They asked people about Waddell and the coaching vacancy. They didn’t announce picks as they happened because they were doing interviews, but there are other avenues to learn about the picks. It also ended earlier than the 1st round did, so they weren’t trying to cover the whole draft.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I wouldn't say I was worried about his back but it will be a concern and apparently is if he's adjusting his skating style. That adjusting is a good thing as it let's us know his camp is being proactive by doing the things he can do to help himself. (Everyone should be back wise) He has youth, fitness and now the finest medical facilities in his favor.

This young man seems to be as friendly and outgoing as Fantilli and I look forward to a more loose, rough, deep and skilled CBJ. A good sign in that he knows and works out with some of the guys so hoping for a tight knit squad!

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Dude (Lindstrom) is 18, without knowing any details on his back, I think he'll be fine. Or not. Who knows. I don't think anyone saw Pulju going through hip surgery at 20 and having them replaced at 24-25 or whatever.

What I do know fans have no medical information whatsoever, so who cares what an internet rando thinks about Lindstrom's back :D For anyone worried, I'd say if you really feel like you have to worry about something, there are better things to worry about.
Fans do have some medical information. They know he missed 2+ months of games starting at age 17 with a herniated disc. They also know that more than 7 months after it happened he was still having issues with it.

Also, while a herniated disc can become asymptomatic again, it seems unlikely that one that still is healing 7 months later is not concerning. Obviously, if by 2026 he hasn't missed any more games with it, then the worst has likely passed.

But the Kings picked Gabriel Vilardi at #11 in 2017 with a history of back problems and his back problems continued.

As fans, we have to hope for the best. But you don't have to be a radiologist or spine surgeon to worry that he will miss time in the future dealing with this condition. I would have taken Demidov and let another team take the risk.

Reactions: MAHJ71

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Some large D men sitting out there.

I like Bashas style but maybe more of the same for us?
Yeah I like Basha, but I’m not really sure where he would fit, even a bit down the line. I really want an actually decent pro goalie prospect like Nabokov. I’d be happy with Chernyshov as well.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Elick is a great shut-down guy, offensive upside just very low. 3rd pair D at NHL level most likely.

Well, could have been worse I guess...

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Wish we would’ve grabbed a potential starting goalie in Nabokov over a guy with 3rd pairing potential, but oh well, he fills a need too.

Edit: or Miettinen, or Pulkkinen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad