NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Don’t know anything about any of the prospects. Regarding Parrish, is he anything like Chris Wideman or Joe Corvo?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
In a scenario where Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, and Lindstrom have all been selected ahead of Ottawa, who would you pick as GM?
  1. Buium
  2. Parekh
  3. Iginla
  4. Sennecke
  5. Catton
  6. Other

I'm starting to sell myself on the forwards. Not over Silayev/Buium mind you, but I'd be happy to take them none the less.

VERY HAPPY
a. Silayev
b. Buium
---------------
HAPPY
a. Sennecke
b. Catton
c. Iginla
d. Parekh
-----------------
FINE
b. Yakemchuk
c. Helenius
------------------------
LIKE (but not at #7)
a. Brandsegg- Nygard
b. Hage
c. Solberg
-------------------------
DO NOT WANT
a. Eiserman
b. Connelly
c. Jiricek

Not sure where I'd have Dickinson honestly. It feels like he'll be the pick if he's there but he'd probably be between Parekh and Yakemchuk for me. I have no doubt he'll play in the NHL for a long time but I question the upside compared to the top-six guys I listed.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
San Jose trades up to 11 by giving Buffalo picks 14 and 42.

Another potential trade down option for the Sens if the Sharks want to jump ahead of Seattle/Calgary to secure one of the top D (Buium, Dickinson, Parekh, etc...).

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
1. Sennecke
2. Dickinson
3. Iginla
4. Buium
5. Solberg
6. Parekh

Not interested in anybody other than those players at 7.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sharks want to make sure they get Solberg and trading up ensures they get him.

I’d think they’ll be going D for sure with that pick. And the early trade up tells me they aren’t too worried about their guy not being there, or they’re going to continue to try and move up.

Celebrini, Musty, Lund, Smith, Bystadt, Eklund, Holttenen, Borderleau. They’ve used a lot of high picks on forwards in the past 4 drafts, they took one D at 45 two years ago and the rest of the first 2 rounds were all forwards.

Would be quite surprised if they never came out without Solberg/Yakemchuk at 11.

Last edited:
Reactions: scout20

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sharks are definitely trading up for a D.

Question is whether they are fine with someone like Yakemchuk or Solberg at 11 or if they want one of the consensus top 5 D.

If our staff is high on Yakemchuk/Solberg, which I suspect they could be given their history of loving tough gritty players, I could see 7 for 11+33+something small.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Scouting staffs absolutely love having back to back picks early in the draft, getting 42 to pair with their 43 is very valuable for the Sabres draft table.

Grier is off to a fantastic start to a rebuild, both those picks were acquired in the past year and are being used to get the guy they want. And they replaced that pick already by taking on Walman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The Sharks trading up before seeing who is available at 11 likely means that rather than targeting someone specific, they know there are x amount of defensemen available, or y amount of players on a certain tier, and 14 was too far to safely ensure they get one of those.

Best theory I have seen on Buffalo is that they are trading the 1st for Necas or another player, and 11th vs 14 still gets it done, so they got an extra asset out of it before flipping their pick.

Reactions: DrEasy

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Bruce is suggesting we have interest in Dickonson and Iginla.

Did he just read my post on here? 🤔😂
"Another option may be forward Tij Iginla of the Kelowna Rockets. The son of former NHLer Jarome Iginla finished with 47 goals and 84 points last season. Ottawa has never had an issue with taking the sons of former NHL players and the scouting staff here hasn’t changed much."

Wasn't the bloodline thing a Dorion decision?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
"Another option may be forward Tij Iginla of the Kelowna Rockets. The son of former NHLer Jarome Iginla finished with 47 goals and 84 points last season. Ottawa has never had an issue with taking the sons of former NHL players and the scouting staff here hasn’t changed much."

Wasn't the bloodline thing a Dorion decision?

I think most FO’s have that as a plus amongst the group.

Sens have had only a little turnover in the scouting department this far as well .

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
My gut tells me we draft Dickinson if available.

Head scout Boyd lives in London and likely has seen Dickinson play the most probably loves him.
Seems like there is too much smoke for this. Who gets squeezed out of our LHD situation in a couple years? Obviously you draft BPA.

How much stock should we put into the OHL being weak this year?

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In a scenario where Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, and Lindstrom have all been selected ahead of Ottawa, who would you pick as GM?
  1. Buium
  2. Parekh
  3. Iginla
  4. Sennecke
  5. Catton
  6. Other
Any of those guys 1-4. May adjust the order of preference to Buium, Sennecke, Iginla, Parekh. I think Parekh could be phenomenal but the other guys are just a little safer and we absolutely need to hit on the pick. Parekh definitely has the star power -potential to regret passing on but the other 3 are can't miss to me

Silayev falls I'd take him without a 2nd thought.

Reactions: SensFactor

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Seems like there is too much smoke for this. Who gets squeezed out of our LHD situation in a couple years? Obviously you draft BPA.

How much stock should we put into the OHL being weak this year?

Chabot’s contract ends in 4 years. In all likelihood if we draft a LD they will still be on the rookie contract by the time Chabot walks.

I’m not as hung up on drafting a LD as some are. Can never have enough talent and SS will make it work

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Chabot’s contract ends in 4 years. In all likelihood if we draft a LD they will still be on the rookie contract by the time Chabot walks.

I’m not as hung up on drafting a LD as some are. Can never have enough talent and SS will make it work

Ultimately you take the BPA, but I think it makes more sense from an asset management perspective to take the best forward available at 7 right now. Iginla/Sennecke are top talents available that are hard to get. You can still get good dmen in the mid 1st in most years which we'll hopefully be picking next year as a bottom playoff team.

Adding Iginla/Sennecke rounds out our forward core very nicely which is an area that still needs another blue chipper IMO. Trade/UFA to address the defense for now and get a dman next year in the mid 1st is what I would do.

Reactions: DJB

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I guess if there's one thing that worries me about Iginla it's how fast he rose up the charts. The guy wasn't even projected to go in the first round last October. Or maybe that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad