NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I’m not understanding those that are questioning his skating. His edge work is outstanding one of the best in class including the forwards. He may not have elite straight line speed but to me it’s excellent
He’s got some agility no doubt. But when the puck goes to the corner and you got a behemoth chasing you down trying to run you… it’s different.

His skating reminds me of brannstrom honestly.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He’s got some agility no doubt. But when the puck goes to the corner and you got a behemoth chasing you down trying to run you… it’s different.

His skating reminds me of brannstrom honestly.

Buium with the puck is more deceptive and his skating and particularly his edges help that.

Reactions: DJB

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Buium with the puck is more deceptive and his skating and particularly his edges help that.
Branny before the nhl was also ultra deceptive.

Not saying they’re the same. Buium looks like a + defender already

Branny took a while to even become acceptable. Some may say he’s not even that now. (I disagree).

He’s also like 3 inches shorter than Buium. But the skating to me looks the same.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So if the Sens had a RW of (you forgot Neil) and your going into the draft with this depth chart

Alfie
Hossa
Havlat
Neil

And Sens drafting #7 and desperate need for D, C and LW all available at #7 you’d be advocating for another RW because you already really like the ones we have?

Makes no sense

I was responding to the « making 7 million » part. The first three qualify as that level player, Neil doesn’t.

If this were the NFL where players are drafted at 21-24 years old and immediately join the league ready to contribute drafting by need makes perfect sense.

In the NHL you’re usually drafting for at least 2 years out. With injuries and contracts and retirements it’s hard to predict where your team will be when the player is ready to pierce.

On top of that, odds of hitting on a draft pick are lower, particularly since the players are so physically underdeveloped compared to NFL’ers. This also makes it harder to pick the right guy.

With these added challenges it’s important, particularly with high picks, to maximize your chances at elite players. If the sens scouts tell them a forward is the best prospect available they should take him.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
This draft is amazing for debate and options.
I’m getting to the point where I’d be happy with almost any pick outside of Pareck and he had a crazy year…

I’d be happy with in no particular order: (assumes celebrini and Demidov are 1 2'

Lindstrom
Iginla
Leshunov
Buium
Silayev
Dickenson
and after watching a pile of Sennecke highlights maybe even him

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I was responding to the « making 7 million » part. The first three qualify as that level player, Neil doesn’t.

If this were the NFL where players are drafted at 21-24 years old and immediately join the league ready to contribute drafting by need makes perfect sense.

In the NHL you’re usually drafting for at least 2 years out. With injuries and contracts and retirements it’s hard to predict where your team will be when the player is ready to pierce.

On top of that, odds of hitting on a draft pick are lower, particularly since the players are so physically underdeveloped compared to NFL’ers. This also makes it harder to pick the right guy.

With these added challenges it’s important, particularly with high picks, to maximize your chances at elite players. If the sens scouts tell them a forward is the best prospect available they should take him.

But I’m tips case it’s not hard to predict where the SNES LD will be in 3-4 years - it’ll be:

Ssndy
Chanot
Kleven
Hasn’t everyone pretty described every reason, and then specifically the reasoning for us at this point given contract status, uncertainty, timelines etc?
Not sure why you keep putting words in other peoples mouths….
Everyone disagrees with you in our situation - you could just let it go, and be happy with your own superior judgement.
Hasn’t everyone pretty described every reason, and then specifically the reasoning for us at this point given contract status, uncertainty, timelines etc?
Not sure why you keep putting words in other peoples mouths….
Everyone disagrees with you in our situation - you could just let it go, and be happy with your own superior judgement.

Everyone expect Steve Staois - the “eveyone disagrees with you” comment is hilarious BTW - makes me feel like I’m 4 years old again.

If the Sens draft a LD (which they will not) I will get a “Everyone disagrees with me” shirt and buy a ticket behind Travis Green

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
But I’m tips case it’s not hard to predict where the SNES LD will be in 3-4 years - it’ll be:

Ssndy
Chanot
Kleven

Everyone expect Steve Staois - the “eveyone disagrees with you” comment is hilarious BTW - makes me feel like I’m 4 years old again.

If the Sens draft a LD (which they will not) I will get a “Everyone disagrees with me” shirt and buy a ticket behind Travis Green

The point I was making is that everyone has told you why they disagree, and they are all legitimate comments.
You’re the only one who can’t seem to accept that other people have a different and reasonable point of view.

It’s hardly outrageous that they have say Silayev 3 or 4 and take him at 7 if still on the board.
Im kind of getting on the iginla train, but again would be happy with anyone we likely pick at 7 other than Pareck with our pick (and he could up up great).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

And those same scouts should be held accountable for their choices.

I think an NHL team would be served well if it used the consensus picks of reputable amateur scouting services and agents (e.g., Bob McKenzie) to guide them in making its picks (no more reaches or heads will roll).

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Many were down on Dickinson earlier in the thread. Now you see him play and love him again?
Dickinson LD is a good player, he has good size & plays a good defensive game, has some edge to his game & can put up some pts, he would be a good addition to Ottawa's prospect pool, no question about that. However, having said that, it could be argued that Kleven LD is a similar player, maybe less offence, while most here will argue Dickinson will be better, it's possible, we'll see. Ottawa also has Donovan LD who has similar size, a very good skater & can also add some offence. I wish Dickinson was a right shot, he'd be perfect.

What Ottawa needs is a defenceman like that on the right side, they have their left side set for the next 5 yrs IMO & need to fix the deficiencies on the right side. There will be other drafts to add to that position in future drafts, remember we have a very young team. If they were to draft Dickinson I would be fine with that, but he doesn't address the immediate and/or future problem on the right side in their prospect pool. Guennette RD may have an outside chance, but so far in his viewings at the NHL level he's been mostly meh.

I view Dickinson & Yakemchuk as somewhat similar players, one is much better defensively while the other is much better offensively & what Ott needs IMO is a more offensive right shot D who plays with a mean streak & brings some sandpaper to the defence. Zub plays a good defensive style. I value right shot/left shot players in their proper positions more than most though & NHL executives value right shot D highly. The other point to consider is how good a team London is that Dickinson plays for while Yakemchuk plays for a rather poor Calgary Hitman team that was offensively challenged all yr & he still managed as a D to be their second leading scorer. I wonder what Yakemchuk would look like on London's team & speaking of the London Knights it's too bad Ott didn't consider hiring Dale Humter to coach this team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Dickinson LD is a good player, he has good size & plays a good defensive game, has some edge to his game & can put up some pts, he would be a good addition to Ottawa's prospect pool, no question about that. However, having said that, it could be argued that Kleven LD is a similar player, maybe less offence, while most here will argue Dickinson will be better, it's possible, we'll see. Ottawa also has Donovan LD who has similar size, a very good skater & can also add some offence. I wish Dickinson was a right shot, he'd be perfect.

What Ottawa needs is a defenceman like that on the right side, they have their left side set for the next 5 yrs IMO & need to fix the deficiencies on the right side. There will be other drafts to add to that position in future drafts, remember we have a very young team. If they were to draft Dickinson I would be fine with that, but he doesn't address the immediate and/or future problem on the right side in their prospect pool. Guennette RD may have an outside chance, but so far in his viewings at the NHL level he's been mostly meh.

I view Dickinson & Yakemchuk as somewhat similar players, one is much better defensively while the other is much better offensively & what Ott needs IMO is a more offensive right shot D who plays with a mean streak & brings some sandpaper to the defence. Zub plays a good defensive style. I value right shot/left shot players in their proper positions more than most though & NHL executives value right shot D highly. The other point to consider is how good a team London is that Dickinson plays for while Yakemchuk plays for a rather poor Calgary Hitman team that was offensively challenged all yr & he still managed as a D to be their second leading scorer. I wonder what Yakemchuk would look like on London's team & speaking of the London Knights it's too bad Ott didn't consider hiring Dale Humter to coach this team.
Yak isn’t much better offensively, I’m not sure he’s going to be producing more at the pro level.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Dickinson's skating sets him apart from Yakemchuk. Dickinson is still 17 and one of the youngest in the class.

Reactions: Sensators

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Many were down on Dickinson earlier in the thread. Now you see him play and love him again?
Many? Is that the aboriginal many? like 1 or many. Its the draft ... emo runs high on these picks .. people pound the table for their guy not going on very much.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Ssndy
Chanot
Kleven

Kleven as much as I like him, hasn't made the NHL full time yet and In 3-4 years, Chabot will be in the final year of his current contract or a UFA and at the point where we'll have to seriously consider trading him if we haven't already done so.

We should be taking the best player on our board, which is exactly what Staios made clear we would be doing, saying "[there] might be a time in the draft where you look positional, but certainly at the top of the board, we're looking at best player."

Reactions: Bileur

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
The more I mess around with my own rankings, the more I'd be up for trading down a few slots ala NYI. I see a similar tier of player from 2 to about 10.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
The more I mess around with my own rankings, the more I'd be up for trading down a few slots ala NYI. I see a similar tier of player from 2 to about 10.
It's an interesting notion, we could trade with Calgary and get another 2nd just like NYI and Chicago did.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dickinson gets a little bit of that big white boy racism lol.

Then you see he can handle the puck skate like the wind and handle the puck.

The reality is usually that there isn’t a similar tier from 2 to 10.

Ssndy
Chanot
Kleven

I don’t disagree that staios may not pick an LD. But he absolutely may.

Maybe he doesn’t want chabot for 5 more years. Do you?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Our prospect cupboard could use a boost; however, our current team needs a boost too.

Could go either way IMO depending on the needs of the trading partner Staios might be talking to and what Staios is trying to acquire and get rid of.

The sens really don't have many other assets to flip for a goalie aside from whichever of chychrun or Chabot they try to trade.

Can't use their own first, they desperately need that.

This team can not go into next season with the status quo in nets. It's going to take something of value to bring in a decent goalie. Probably Bostons 1st

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Dickinson gets a little bit of that big white boy racism lol.

Then you see he can handle the puck skate like the wind and handle the puck.

The reality is usually that there isn’t a similar tier from 2 to 10.

I don’t disagree that staios may not pick an LD. But he absolutely may.

Maybe he doesn’t want chabot for 5 more years. Do you?
I don't want Chabot next year. Lol.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The sens really don't have many other assets to flip for a goalie aside from whichever of chychrun or Chabot they try to trade.

Can't use their own first, they desperately need that.

This team can not go into next season with the status quo in nets. It's going to take something of value to bring in a decent goalie. Probably Bostons 1st
Goalies usually aren’t going for firsts

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Kleven as much as I like him, hasn't made the NHL full time yet and In 3-4 years, Chabot will be in the final year of his current contract or a UFA and at the point where we'll have to seriously consider trading him if we haven't already done so.

We should be taking the best player on our board, which is exactly what Staios made clear we would be doing, saying "[there] might be a time in the draft where you look positional, but certainly at the top of the board, we're looking at best player."

Yep that’s what he said, but he also said Dorion and DJ were here for the year and he wanted to take the season to evaluate the organization before he started firing everyone a few weeks later he started firing everyone. He said he isn’t shopping Chych and he is. He also said he wouldn’t be the GM, and he is. they’ll draft for need and won’t draft a LD because they don’t need one.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There are 3 LD that are slated to go from ~3-8. The chances that one of them are the BPA for the Sens is quite high.

There is literally zero chance the Sens aren’t looking at the LD because they have Sanderson, Chabot and Kleven. Zero. That would be utterly ridiculous.

Drafting for need at the top of the 1st is insanely dumb.

“Mucks, there’s this giant C that looks to be unreal from a strange country, franchise level guy. Definitely our best player available.”

“We’ve got Spezza, Fisher and Vermette already, we need to take the best PMD available”

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad