NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I’m not a Silyaev fan really. He would be my #5 or 6 dman in the class. (Haven’t made a decision between him and Parekh yet)

When he doesn’t have the puck I do see a huge guy with great range and defends pretty well. He skates really good for a big guy but still has positioning issues in his zone and in the neutral zone (these can be cleaned up) but this to me is where the positives stop.

He handles the puck like a grenade and makes so many bad decisions. He isn’t calm with the puck and most of the time just gets rid of it instead of making a play with it as he panics. Hes a pure shutdown guy who will play the PK . But I see a similar player to Logan Stanley albeit a better skater and not as mean.
The last two paragraphs sound a lot like a description of Tyler Kleven, both pre-draft and a bit now too. Of course Kleven was chosen in the middle of the second round.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
People talk like this is the last draft ever for the Sens, there are players available every draft at every position, BPA only means it's who that team happens to have on their list at that time & we know not every team has the same players ranked the same just like every ranking site is different. IMO Yakemchuk brings everything the Sens need right now & although it's likely he goes back to junior for another yr he is an older prospect who already has NHL size, skating, offence & mean streak who could be NHL ready sooner. While they will lose a 1st rder in one of the next two drafts after this one they might also acquire one to make up for it or they get lucky on a late rd prospect who becomes a star like Stone, Batherson & others have done. NHL GMS value big tough RDs who can put up numbers, that's Yakemchuk. Parekh to me is more of the same of what we already have & they need something different, a Tkachuk type on D.
Well, he doesn't bring defensive responsibility, so no, not everything.

He's the kind of guy that's known for putting offense before his defensive responsibility and that's exactly what we spent the last 3/4 of the season trying to coach out of this team.

Honestly, to me Yakemchuk is a more physical Chychrun (with a penchant for bad penalties). That's not a bad player, but at 7oa and the guys likely to be on the board, there are other options I think I'd target ahead of him.

My hope is for one of Levshunov, Silayev, Buium or Dickenson. Dickenson is the most likely to be available but I'd be thrilled with any of them over Parekh or Yakemchuk.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

He's the kind of guy that's known for putting offense before his defensive responsibility and that's exactly what we spent the last 3/4 of the season trying to coach out of this team.

Honestly, to me Yakemchuk is a more physical Chychrun (with a penchant for bad penalties). That's not a bad player, but at 7oa and the guys likely to be on the board, there are other options I think I'd target ahead of him.

My hope is for one of Levshunov, Silayev, Buium or Dickenson. Dickenson is the most likely to be available but I'd be thrilled with any of them over Parekh or Yakemchuk.
He's known for that because the Calgary Hitman were offensively challenged & IMO defensive awareness & ability can be learned while offensive ability is much rarer & tougher to get good at. I don't disagree with that assessment, but IMO Dickison is not as physical or tough & that's an element the Sens are missing on their blueline. Silayev would be interesting, but does he have the offence? I don't think we need Buium, he is more of the same as is Parekh & we already have Sanderson & Chabot who will be here for a number of yrs yet. There will be other drafts to fill that cupboard, I think it will come down to Dickinson, Parekh or Yakemchuk & the need is RD. Let's not forget that Ottawa also has Jorian Donovan LD in their prospect pool who will likely join Belleville for next season & he is another decent PMLD.

Should be interesting who the Sens pick & how the fan base reacts.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Recent picks suggest we'd be more interested in guys like Levshunov, Buium, Dickenson, and Silayev, and while it's possible all four will be off the board by the time we pick I think there will be at least one more forward taken in the top 6 after Demidov and Celebrini.

I could also see us take Iginla or Lindstrom ahead of Parekh, though I'm happy with any of these guys.

The only guys I'm hesitant on are Catton, Helenius, and Yakemchuk, but honestly I haven't followed this year's prospects close enough to have super strong opinions so I'll likely get behind whoever we pick as I learn more about them.

Edit: forgot about Sennecke, he seems like he's got sens pick written all over him, not sure if we'd go to him at 7 but I'm pretty sure he'd be in our top 10
Sennecke would be a great RW replacement for Giroux when he eventually ages out.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Buium non ideal size and lack of dynamic speed are giving me pause the more i watch of him. But he seems to have a sixth sense out there

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Hitmen were a bad team this year, so that influences his defending.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Zayne Parekh is one of those rare prospects where there is truly no middle ground outcome for him. Either he can translate the offense to the NHL and he becomes a high-end play driver, or he can't and he busts completely.

Average sized offensive defenseman are a high-risk archetype to begin with in the modern game, and in recent years we've seen a lot of these guys fall way short of expectations. Victor Soderstrom, Adam Boqvist, Ty Smith, Erik Brannstrom, Jamie Drysdale. Parekh is more talented than many of those players, but he has some of the same weaknesses as well.

Feels like a guy that you might be more inclined to swing on if you're at ground-zero of a rebuild. Or if you've got a really deep system and can afford a risk, like a Buffalo/New Jersey/Minnesota.

Whether the Sens have the appetite for this sort of risk remains to be seen. Under Dorion/Mann there is no chance he'd be in the mix for them at 7, it just wouldn't happen. It's largely the same scouting staff [for now], but with different direction from above which may change things.
Can he skate?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
but what does best player mean? Best player that helps you win? Best scorer? Best culture player? Best shut down player? Who’d you rather have on your team Guy Carbaneau (best defensive center ever) or Claude Giroux? I’d take Crabaneau because he helps you win more games

The only position this team doesn’t need help at in the next 4 years - like literally the only one this franchise is solid at is LD - does drafting at #7 a guy who’ll play out of position, not on the PP, not in the top 4 make any sense when you could draft a RD who next year could be in your top 4 or a RW or LW who’s playing in your top 6 next year - those players will help you win more then a guy who isn’t using his skill set because we already have 2 PP a guys at LD who play 25+ minutes a night.

LD argument is just so naive, BPA doesn’t mean the one with the best hockey card, it means the one that helps you win the most and Ottawa has a big time need for speed in the top 6 on both wings, top 4 RD and a starting goalie (obviously won’t draft at #7) - but does a RW who can play in your top 6 and be the fastest player on the LW or RW help you win more then a LD who’s in the AHL because our lineup at LD is full - yes. So you got the BPA - because you will win more and that’s what this about not collecting hockey cards

So we take Zayne Parekh (RD) who turns into Adam Boqvist and we pass on Dickinson who turns into Jake Sanderson 2.0 but hey we got our RD so all is good.

If it's a dead heat in picking BPA then obviously go with the more coveted position. It's never a dead heat in the top half of the 1st round.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dickinson with a good 1st period... 1 nice assist for London's 1st goal and showing off his fantastic skating and ability to transition the puck in a hurry... went coast to coast on the tail end of a pp but was stopped.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
So we take Zayne Parekh (RD) who turns into Adam Boqvist and we pass on Dickinson who turns into Jake Sanderson 2.0 but hey we got our RD so all is good.

If it's a dead heat in picking BPA then obviously go with the more coveted position. It's never a dead heat in the top half of the 1st round.
Just open the barn door and let him out. He can go run around until he stops acting like Dorion. Then he can home.

• Haha
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think has some potential but not a shoe in. I think some time in Belleville ... will help . He has good physical tools
I thought he looked good at the development camp but was still somewhat raw, he has made some improvements this yr & he's another potential good LD in their prospect pool. Thanks.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Buium non ideal size and lack of dynamic speed are giving me pause the more i watch of him. But he seems to have a sixth sense out there

I’m not understanding those that are questioning his skating. His edge work is outstanding one of the best in class including the forwards. He may not have elite straight line speed but to me it’s excellent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad