NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Parekh 1 goal and 2 primary assists ; 3-0 Saginaw not half way thru the 2nd

Donovan makes it 4-0 ... Moose Jaw has no answer yet, Saginaw's up tempo pressure game has them rattled
Last 2 minutes of the 2nd... Moose Jaw score 3.,.. Junior hockey.. 4-3 after 2 ... Different game now.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Zeev Buium to me is the best Dman in the draft. He has by far the best hockey sense, his skating is elite and he is a creative playmaker. Add in his defensive awareness and intelligence and to me he looks like a solid bet to be a top pairing guy. You wish he was a little bit bigger but he doesnt play soft. He's not a beast physically but I don't think it will hold him back.
His skating is not elite. Many of his biggest advocates wouldn't even make that claim.

Mckeen's hockey gave him a grade of 55 on his skating out of possible 80, which amounts to being a a slightly better than average skater according to the ranking: Buium At bare minimum, there are legitimate questions about his skating. To make a football analogy, Buium is a Wes Welker, Danny Amendola or Julian Edelman. All of them are more quick than fast. But this isn't football and we don't have a Tom Brady........

Watching the Mem Cup, and consistent with all my viewings, I seriously can't believe teams have Parekh in their top 10. He has the distinct ability to avoid playing defense at all costs. He is a slower, less dynamic, less explosive and less passionate Erik Karlsson. I would be upset if we took him at #7.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I meant in points in their draft year.. which we knowwww
but closer than anybody else.

His skating is not elite. Many of his biggest advocates wouldn't even make that claim.

Mckeen's hockey gave him a grade of 55 on his skating out of possible 80, which amounts to being a a slightly better than average skater according to the ranking: Buium At bare minimum, there are legitimate questions about his skating. To make a football analogy, Buium is a Wes Welker, Danny Amendola or Julian Edelman. All of them are more quick than fast. But this isn't football and we don't have a Tom Brady........

Watching the Mem Cup, and consistent with all my viewings, I seriously can't believe teams have Parekh in their top 10. He has the distinct ability to avoid playing defense at all costs. He is a slower, less dynamic, less explosive and less passionate Erik Karlsson. I would be upset if we took him at #7.
I agree on parekh. That guy is lethargic out there

As for buium. His straight ahead speed is a question. But that can be improved. His skating will only get better.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I guess I disagree with you on his skating . I think it’s top notch.

I don’t disagree with you on Parekh. Hes an adventure defensively and worse off has no compete in that area. At least if he tried id say ok you have something here and can teach and mold him, but hes horrendous in that area.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Parekh tonight looks like he thinks about trying in his own zone periodically and starts to, then he changes his mind. It’s kind of entertaining.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Last 2 minutes of the 2nd... Moose Jaw score 3.,.. Junior hockey.. 4-3 after 2 ... Different game now.
Saginaw hangs on to win 5-4

Parekh 1g 2a +2 ; Instrumental on Saginaw's 5th goal.. 3rd assist ; in on 4/5 goals for

Player of the Game

Saginaw plays a very aggressive system where the strong side D pinches to keep pucks in .. they take risks most teams don't take... it can lead to 2 on 1s if the forward doesn't cover. Their Dzone can get them into trouble .. Most of this game they stayed out of it. People need to watch more than part of a game

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He's showed the pros and the cons in this game.

A goal and 3 points but awful defense, lazy uninspired play and a complete lack of attention while not in the offensive zone.

Not hard to believe there are teams that have Parekh in their top 10. Dude just put up 96 points for god's sake.

He unquestionably has one of the highest upsides in the draft, but I'm fully expecting him to fall out of the top 10.

Reactions: DJB

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Zayne Parekh is one of those rare prospects where there is truly no middle ground outcome for him. Either he can translate the offense to the NHL and he becomes a high-end play driver, or he can't and he busts completely.

Average sized offensive defenseman are a high-risk archetype to begin with in the modern game, and in recent years we've seen a lot of these guys fall way short of expectations. Victor Soderstrom, Adam Boqvist, Ty Smith, Erik Brannstrom, Jamie Drysdale. Parekh is more talented than many of those players, but he has some of the same weaknesses as well.

Feels like a guy that you might be more inclined to swing on if you're at ground-zero of a rebuild. Or if you've got a really deep system and can afford a risk, like a Buffalo/New Jersey/Minnesota.

Whether the Sens have the appetite for this sort of risk remains to be seen. Under Dorion/Mann there is no chance he'd be in the mix for them at 7, it just wouldn't happen. It's largely the same scouting staff [for now], but with different direction from above which may change things.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think Dickinson just has the most potential. And can already defend

I think Dickinson is in the conversation for me as my #2 dman in the class. Hes #3 at worst for me. I’m still not quite decided between him and Levshunov and to some degree Carter Yakemchuk.

Plays a similar game to me as Jake Sanderson. Terrific transition player, solid two way guy and you love his skating and size. Makes good decisions with the puck for the most part and defends well. I don’t see high end offensive upside but could play pp #2 with his shot. Hes also confident with the puck and great at gaining the zone. Real solid player that isn’t too flashy but a guarantee to be a top 4 guy with some top pairing potential

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’m not a Silyaev fan really. He would be my #5 or 6 dman in the class. (Haven’t made a decision between him and Parekh yet)

When he doesn’t have the puck I do see a huge guy with great range and defends pretty well. He skates really good for a big guy but still has positioning issues in his zone and in the neutral zone (these can be cleaned up) but this to me is where the positives stop.

He handles the puck like a grenade and makes so many bad decisions. He isn’t calm with the puck and most of the time just gets rid of it instead of making a play with it as he panics. Hes a pure shutdown guy who will play the PK . But I see a similar player to Logan Stanley albeit a better skater and not as mean.

scout20

Jul 21, 2022

After watching the game yesterday I agree with you!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What is this rambling nonsense?

We had a need for RD when we drafted Sanderson and Stutzle too. Why didn't we? We also had a need for a top 6 RW then as well. So should we have drafted Drysdale and Holtz? Best at those positions. Wouldn't want to crowd Chabot and Brannstrom (better pedigree at that point than Kleven now).

The fact if the matter is that when this player approaches his prime Chabot will be leaving his or already gone. We have a 22 year old LD who is part of the future core. That's it and we need at least 2 top 4s.

If anyone is not drafting a LD because of Kleven they should be laughed out of the building. He's going to be interesting to watch and probably has a decent career but he's not even close to a core piece. He hasn't even made the NHL full time yet. When this year's pick is Kleven's age Chabot will 31 and a UFA.

From the 2020 draft only 1 D has played 200 games yet. And I would argue that only one (Sanderson) is a true top 4 yet. Again in 4 years Chabot will be 31 and a UFA.

I don't care what position they pick as long as they get the best player possible. If that's a LD this presents no problem. You pick for needs/roles in the top of the draft and you end up with Tyler Boucher.

but what does best player mean? Best player that helps you win? Best scorer? Best culture player? Best shut down player? Who’d you rather have on your team Guy Carbaneau (best defensive center ever) or Claude Giroux? I’d take Crabaneau because he helps you win more games

The only position this team doesn’t need help at in the next 4 years - like literally the only one this franchise is solid at is LD - does drafting at #7 a guy who’ll play out of position, not on the PP, not in the top 4 make any sense when you could draft a RD who next year could be in your top 4 or a RW or LW who’s playing in your top 6 next year - those players will help you win more then a guy who isn’t using his skill set because we already have 2 PP a guys at LD who play 25+ minutes a night.

LD argument is just so naive, BPA doesn’t mean the one with the best hockey card, it means the one that helps you win the most and Ottawa has a big time need for speed in the top 6 on both wings, top 4 RD and a starting goalie (obviously won’t draft at #7) - but does a RW who can play in your top 6 and be the fastest player on the LW or RW help you win more then a LD who’s in the AHL because our lineup at LD is full - yes. So you got the BPA - because you will win more and that’s what this about not collecting hockey cards

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The sens did pretty well with Alfredsson, Hossa and Havlat all at RW.

So if the Sens had a RW of (you forgot Neil) and your going into the draft with this depth chart

Alfie
Hossa
Havlat
Neil

And Sens drafting #7 and desperate need for D, C and LW all available at #7 you’d be advocating for another RW because you already really like the ones we have?

Makes no sense

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
So if the Sens had a RW of (you forgot Neil) and your going into the draft with this depth chart

Alfie
Hossa
Havlat
Neil

And Sens drafting #7 and desperate need for D, C and LW all available at #7 you’d be advocating for another RW because you already really like the ones we have?

Makes no sense

Hasn’t everyone pretty described every reason, and then specifically the reasoning for us at this point given contract status, uncertainty, timelines etc?
Not sure why you keep putting words in other peoples mouths….
Everyone disagrees with you in our situation - you could just let it go, and be happy with your own superior judgement.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Intros a bit long .. gear and recent pick trade; Getting into Levshunov .. it gets interesting. I happen to agree with this assessment and never got the happenin' vibe.

Draft for the IQ... is good advice. Listening now. Grant does go a little Don Cherry here... should have left that out imo.

Another Solberg + reference. Another leftie. Kid looks like a good underrated prospect.

I think there will be a lot of movement in this class. Sens trading down depending on what can come back could be an option

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Watched Pareck last night as well, just not the guy we should be picking.
Happy to let someone else see if he turns into EK lite.
Looking forward to watching Dickinson now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Don’t think Parekh is going to be high on the Sens list with D, would think he’s probably 6 or 7 on their list.

Boom or bust is a tough route to take with where the Sens are.

I think someone hops on the potential home run/grenade on the top 10, but I don’t think it’s going to be the Sens.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Don’t think Parekh is going to be high on the Sens list with D, would think he’s probably 6 or 7 on their list.

I think someone hops on the potential home run/grenade on the top 10, but I don’t think it’s going to be the Sens.
agree .. I don't see the Sens coveting what he brings... some team will

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Recent picks suggest we'd be more interested in guys like Levshunov, Buium, Dickenson, and Silayev, and while it's possible all four will be off the board by the time we pick I think there will be at least one more forward taken in the top 6 after Demidov and Celebrini.

I could also see us take Iginla or Lindstrom ahead of Parekh, though I'm happy with any of these guys.

The only guys I'm hesitant on are Catton, Helenius, and Yakemchuk, but honestly I haven't followed this year's prospects close enough to have super strong opinions so I'll likely get behind whoever we pick as I learn more about them.

Edit: forgot about Sennecke, he seems like he's got sens pick written all over him, not sure if we'd go to him at 7 but I'm pretty sure he'd be in our top 10

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
People talk like this is the last draft ever for the Sens, there are players available every draft at every position, BPA only means it's who that team happens to have on their list at that time & we know not every team has the same players ranked the same just like every ranking site is different. IMO Yakemchuk brings everything the Sens need right now & although it's likely he goes back to junior for another yr he is an older prospect who already has NHL size, skating, offence & mean streak who could be NHL ready sooner. While they will lose a 1st rder in one of the next two drafts after this one they might also acquire one to make up for it or they get lucky on a late rd prospect who becomes a star like Stone, Batherson & others have done. NHL GMS value big tough RDs who can put up numbers, that's Yakemchuk. Parekh to me is more of the same of what we already have & they need something different, a Tkachuk type on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad