NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This high in the draft you draft the most valuable asset. You get the biggest contributor possible at whatever position and when they are NHL ready you figure out how they slot into the team and how that player changes team needs. If you got the best player at that draft slot the problems that could come from it are generally good problems to have.

As you go deeper in the draft you make more and more certain that you are drafting with some degree of positional balance in mind.

So if the Sens had 4 Allstar LW each making $7 million you’d draft another LW at #7?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So if the Sens had 4 Allstar LW each making $7 million you’d draft another LW at #7?
If he's their top player, definitely.

7th isn't going to be a difference maker for 3 years at best for the most part. Drafting for need is never wise at the top of the draft, it's how you end up with Kotkoniemi and Hayton

Reactions: GCK and Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If he's their top player, definitely.

7th isn't going to be a difference maker for 3 years at best for the most part. Drafting for need is never wise at the top of the draft, it's how you end up with Kotkoniemi and Hayton

perfect so we have drafted #7 LW in the AHL or playing his off wing out of position and not being at his best. You have the most talented player but not the one helping your team win every night,

Didn’t we just do this with Chychryn? So we draft a LW and that player is upset they arent getting minutes while the RD and RW positions have Jo depth and we have 5 alls star L eft wingers - never win this way. Building team is as much about the Mike Fisher, Anton Volchenkovs and Chris Neil’s as it is acquiring All stars

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
perfect so we have drafted #7 LW in the AHL or playing iOS off won’t and not being at his best.

Didn’t we just do this with Chychryn? So we draft a LW and that player is upset they arent getting minutes while the RD and RW positions have Jo depth and we have 5 alls star L eft wingers - never win this way. Building team is as much about the Mike Fisher, Anton Volchenkovs and Chris Neil’s as it is acquiring All stars
You don't address needs in the draft. This is what trades and free agency are for. Trying to fill needs at the draft table is how you end up passing on franchise level talent for potential bust players.

If you have an abudance of centers are you passing on Kopitar and drafting Brian Lee to shore up your RD?

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I don't get why this is such a fixation around here. We're not contending next season, and it's highly unlikely that anyone available at 7OA would be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

I'm perfectly fine waiting a year or two for a prospect, and adding them as a really good rookie on an ELC when we're actually ready to make some noise.

You never draft for needs at the top of the draft. It is just a simple rule. KH is ready to play is just a coincidence. He is top three talent in the draft. And KH is better already then Anton Lundell, who played right away as well. You are getting a defensive minded center with a huge offensive upside. Those are a rare breed, much more then good RD. You can slot Pinto and Norris as his wingers.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Pinto-KH-Norris
Joseph-Greig-Batherson

Trade Chychrun for a steady RD

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
perfect so we have drafted #7 LW in the AHL or playing his off wing out of position and not being at his best. You have the most talented player but not the one helping your team win every night,

No, we traded for a player we were inserting in the lineup immediately, not a prospect you "hope" makes the jump in 3 years

Team needs change every single year.

A strength in 2022 could be a weakness in 2023.

Justv take the player that you have ranked highest at the top of the draft.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
No, we traded for a player we were inserting in the lineup immediately, not a prospect you "hope" makes the jump in 3 years

The issue with taking a player the organization ranks as the highest is how you end up with guys like Boucher. I'd like to believe that was an anomaly, but am super scared of the team just going off the board and getting someone that isn't a 'consensus' top 10 pick based on scout reports that fans can see from analysts. It's one thing if the Sens pick an LD they really want or Iggy jr/Helenius. It's another if they pick Andrew Bascha just because they internally think he'll be the best pick at #7

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The issue with taking a player the organization ranks as the highest is how you end up with guys like Boucher. I'd like to believe that was an anomaly, but am super scared of the team just going off the board and getting someone that isn't a 'consensus' top 10 pick based on scout reports that fans can see from analysts. It's one thing if the Sens pick an LD they really want or Iggy jr/Helenius. It's another if they pick Andrew Bascha just because they internally think he'll be the best pick at #7
That's the opposite, they drafted Boucher for need, essentially said by Mann himself. He's the posterboy for what happens when drafting for need.

They drafted Boucher, from Mann's words, because his player profile is hard to get and teams trade a alot to get them.

They were enticed by their need/want for a player profile like Boucher.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
huh? terrible example. Boucher was all about "type of player" they saw as something they needed and going off the board to fill that need.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That's the opposite, they drafted Boucher for need, essentially said by Mann himself. He's the posterboy for what happens when drafting for need.

They drafted Boucher, from Mann's words, because his player profile is hard to get and teams trade a alot to get them.

They were enticed by their need/want for a player profile like Boucher.
But did they not consider Boucher as their 'top choice'? I'd love to know who the team thought was ranked the highest who was available at #10

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

But where is this massive logjam at LD?

Brannstrom and Chychrun are done this year. So that leaves us with Sanderson, Chabot and Kleven. Chabot has injury issues and he’ll be 30 when this player is ready. We could very well actually need a middle pairing LD in a few years. It’s not like we’ve got three Jake Sanderson’s back there. We have an injury-prone Chabot who is in trade talk all the time and 17 games of NHL experience Tyler Kleven.

The “worst” that can happen is Chabot returns to form, Kleven becomes a top 4 and this prospect is ready to play. Are we really mad that at that point we have our choice of a dman to trade for whatever else we might need?

Reactions: Emerica

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

In my post I mentioned that extra LWers success being a good problem to have. So you take one of your established LW (who was relegated to 3rd line in your scenario) and sell high and let the young kid you drafted come in and fill his spot. You just maximized the value of that draft pick.

Let's say Norris was healthy and our C depth was as good as we all hoped. If the BPA at #7 is a C you take that player regardless of your C depth and it gives you the option in 2 years to flip Norris or Pinto for the exact player you need (RD?).

By doing it that way you increase the chances of tooling exactly how you want. You got the better player in the draft who was more of a sure thing and in doing so you created capital that allows you to go out and get instant, guaranteed help where you need it.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

These are very good videos and Simon St-Laurent does an excellent job analyzing prospects.

With his 2023 draft rankings, provided with breakdowns and video, St-Laurent had Simashev at #7, well above Mckenzie's anonymous survey of 10 scouts, which had him at 19 in the final rankings. His tools were so intriguing that Arizona "reached" for him at 6.

Similarly, Yakemchuk has a set of tools the Sens won't be able to pass up. No defensemen in this draft class compares to his size/skill combination, and all the defensemen in the target range have their question marks. For Yakemchuk, it is his short area quickness and hockey sense. Short area quickness will be easily fixed as he grows into his body(less than 200 lbs). The dude is powerful and his straight-line speed -forwards and backwards - is explosive once he gets going. The hockey sense question is a non-issue. It is easily a plus- he makes beautiful reads all the time, including cross seam passes that he creates on his own with his high-end stick-handling.

And if you watched his games, it becomes readily apparent that he was the driving offensive force on his team and his mistakes were simply him trying be the savior, because he had to be for that team to have any success. Parekh played with 9 and Dickinson played with 10 players already drafted by NHL organizations this season. Yakemchuk played the grand total of zero. He was playing with a bunch of nobodies in relative terms. Imagine if Stutzle played on a similar kind of team in junior? He would be forcing stuff all game long - making risky plays that don't work( he does that now! ), but most time they would work - just as they did for Yak. And yes if you watch the games, the announcer calls him Yak.

Yakemchuk has elite tools and really good hockey sense to be impactful on offense and defense. If the criticisms of hockey sense are overblown, which I, as many others believe, he will be an absolute stud - a star. As St-Laurent says, he has the most upside of any D in this draft.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

So no team planning or vision or long term depth chart.

If the Sens had goalies ranked at each of draft spots for the last 10 years in the 1st and 2nd round tihe Sens would have draft 22 goalies and nothing else and we just fix the roster the the TDL and FA.

This is nonsense, of course teams draft for need and for positions even in tje 1st round and at the top of the draft - Mkntreal admitted to it last year and they said in a rebound you need key positions so they went RD. It happens, and for good reaso.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So no team planning or vision or long term depth chart.

If the Sens had goalies ranked at each of draft spots for the last 10 years in the 1st and 2nd round tihe Sens would have draft 22 goalies and nothing else and we just fix the roster the the TDL and FA.

This is nonsense, of course teams draft for need and for positions even in tje 1st round and at the top of the draft - Mkntreal admitted to it last year and they said in a rebound you need key positions so they went RD. It happens, and for good reaso.
This isn't nonsense, this is just you creating unrealistic scenarios to further your point while ignoring the extremely, extremely easy to understand premise of BPA.

Montreal did, just like they did with KK, and they are now looking at doing the same thing this year, which is really shitty for them. That's what we don't want to be doing

Team planning and long term depth is great, picking for need at the top of the draft is going to hurt you very much in the long term

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Last edited:

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
(Almost) Everyone can agree that BPA is the way to go with the pick, but there’s no objective way to say who that is at 7, especially in this draft.

Makes my head spin trying to compare these players who will likely be there for the pick. Tough job. I hope the scouting team gets it right because it seems like a toss up to me at this point.

Reactions: Sens in Process

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
(Almost) Everyone can agree that BPA is the way to go with the pick, but there’s no objective way to say who that is at 7, especially in this draft.

Makes my head spin trying to compare these players who will likely be there for the pick. Tough job. I hope the scouting team gets it right because it seems like a toss up to me at this point.

Yeah. That's the tricky part. There's tons to like about just about all these players but I feel like they, pretty much, all have some things that scare me.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The player drafted this year is going to be 9 years younger than Thomas Chabot. If we draft a LD we aren't drafting someone to compete with Chabot, we're drafting the next generation of LD to replace Chabot.

okay so we are drafting at the top of the draft a LD to replace the 27 and two x 22 year olds who are the future of the franchise and considered parts of the core when 2025 season we have - need for a top 6 RW and top 6 LW, need a top pairing RD, a starting goalie, depth RW for the 3rd and 4th line so we take a guy who will replace players LD players just entering their prime.

Nobody has made any sense on the LD thing because it doesn’t make sense to draft 1 at #7,But I’m guessing you have apocalypse prep or 20 cans of tomatoes in your kitchen and 400 cans of tomatoes in your basement and no beans, rice, other veggies or fruits. But you’ll never run out of tomatoes

Just the optics of SS trading Chych at the draft because it was a bad fit and then in the same sentence saying “yes we drafted a LD who’ll be ready next year so very happy to do this again next summer because I have no foresight or vision For the team”

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
okay so we are drafting at the top of the draft a LD to replace the 27 and two x 22 year olds who are the future of the franchise and considered parts of the core when 2025 season we have - need for a top 6 RW and top 6 LW, need a top pairing RD, a starting goalie, depth RW for the 3rd and 4th line so we take a guy who will replace players LD players just entering their prime.

Nobody has made any sense on the LD thing because it doesn’t make sense to draft 1 at #7,But I’m guessing you have apocalypse prep or 20 cans of tomatoes in your kitchen and 400 cans of tomatoes in your basement and no beans, rice, other veggies or fruits. But you’ll never run out of tomatoes

Just the optics of SS trading Chych at the draft because it was a bad fit and then in the same sentence saying “yes we drafted a LD who’ll be ready next year so very happy to do this again next summer because I have no foresight or vision For the team”

What is this rambling nonsense?

We had a need for RD when we drafted Sanderson and Stutzle too. Why didn't we? We also had a need for a top 6 RW then as well. So should we have drafted Drysdale and Holtz? Best at those positions. Wouldn't want to crowd Chabot and Brannstrom (better pedigree at that point than Kleven now).

The fact if the matter is that when this player approaches his prime Chabot will be leaving his or already gone. We have a 22 year old LD who is part of the future core. That's it and we need at least 2 top 4s.

If anyone is not drafting a LD because of Kleven they should be laughed out of the building. He's going to be interesting to watch and probably has a decent career but he's not even close to a core piece. He hasn't even made the NHL full time yet. When this year's pick is Kleven's age Chabot will 31 and a UFA.

From the 2020 draft only 1 D has played 200 games yet. And I would argue that only one (Sanderson) is a true top 4 yet. Again in 4 years Chabot will be 31 and a UFA.

I don't care what position they pick as long as they get the best player possible. If that's a LD this presents no problem. You pick for needs/roles in the top of the draft and you end up with Tyler Boucher.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

I want the Sens to draft Parekh because he conveniently is a top 7-10 draft pick talent but also happens to be an RD.

Having said that, I do understand the logic of drafting one of the LD prospects that are highly touted. By the time they're ready to contribute/need new deals, Chabot will be more tradeable and Kleven needs to establish himself as a 3rd pairing guy before we call him a part of the core.

So far, it doesn't seem like the gap between Parekh is too big between Buium, Silayeav, or Dickinson, they, just bring different strengths/weaknesses to the table. Having said that, I think given the dire lack of RD talent, and the availability of one (assuming Parekh isn't taken before 7), is the perfect opportunity to give us a high end prospect and address a team need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad