NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Bogosian actually outproduced Doughty in their draft year, despite Doughty being a late birthday.

Led his team in points with 61 in 60 games, while Doughty's production took a step back with only 50 points in 58 games.

And his physical tools were incredible. 6'3 with excellent skating ability. Looked the part of a future #1 D if you ignored the issues between the ears.

Doughty was a smarter hockey player with more skill, which ended up making a world of difference.
Yes was going to say that would be an understandable decision.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Button also relesed his latest rankings yesterday that I never noticed until now, always likes to throw darts on his lists.

Had the exact same 10 in his midseason top 10, just oin a different order

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Helenius
4. Iginla
5. Parekh
6. Buium
7. Levshunov
8. Dickinson
9. Eiserman
10. Lindstrom

Sennecke jumped from 39 to 12, Solberg jumped from 45 to 15. The biggest risers

Oh Craig. :rolleyes:

If we have our choice of Levshunov, DIckinson and Lindstrom available to us at 7 I'll be happy as a clam.

^^^ Just realized that Silayev would be available to us as well.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Bogosian actually outproduced Doughty in their draft year, despite Doughty being a late birthday.

Led his team in points with 61 in 60 games, while Doughty's production took a step back with only 50 points in 58 games.

And his physical tools were incredible. 6'3 with excellent skating ability. Looked the part of a future #1 D if you ignored the issues between the ears.

Doughty was a smarter hockey player with more skill, which ended up making a world of difference.

No disagreement but you could see that both players in their draft year has vastly different hockey IQ’s. Bogo just was a battering ram in juniors and with weak IQ that usually doesn’t translate to the NHL which it clearly didn’t

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Button also relesed his latest rankings yesterday that I never noticed until now, always likes to throw darts on his lists.

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Helenius
4. Iginla
5. Parekh
6. Buium
7. Levshunov
8. Dickinson
9. Eiserman
10. Lindstrom

God I hope he's right and that's where he goes ...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Idk. At this point Craig’s list looks a bit wacky. Guess we’ll see

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Helenius all the way if we are lucky. He is a blue chip. And can play right away.

I don't get why this is such a fixation around here. We're not contending next season, and it's highly unlikely that anyone available at 7OA would be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

I'm perfectly fine waiting a year or two for a prospect, and adding them as a really good rookie on an ELC when we're actually ready to make some noise.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't get why this is such a fixation around here. We're not contending next season, and it's highly unlikely that anyone available at 7OA would be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

I'm perfectly fine waiting a year or two for a prospect, and adding them as a really good rookie on an ELC when we're actually ready to make some noise.
I’m in the same boat.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Helenius
4. Iginla
5. Parekh
6. Buium
7. Levshunov
8. Dickinson
9. Eiserman
10. Lindstrom

It's certainly a different look than most lists.

Don't think anyone else has Lev or Lindstrom outside of the top 5 and on the flip side, I have not seen anyone with Helenius and Iginla in the top 5.

As someone mentioned, great if it goes this way, as Lev seems to fit the mold when it comes to the perfect top-4 RD but seems unlikely to still be there at 7. Same with Lindstrom.

I think we are going to be picking a D and it is going to come down to one of Parekh, Buium, Dickinson and Yakemchuk. With Parekh and Dickinson both in the Mem Cup, makes for a good opportunity to see them playing in a very good mini-tournament style.

All that said, I am still intrigued with the potential of the Forwards that might be available to us, like Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius, Catton, Sennecke & Solberg.

Going to be an interesting draft.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dickinson’s a good player but roster contraction wise it makes no sense. Dorion would pick Dickinson and tell us all our D worries are taken care of.
Roster wise we need help everywhere else and LD is honestly the only stable position we have. Drafting a LD right now would be an organizational mistake, take a RW, LW C or RD with that #7 pick, the only the thing we should not be doing at #7 is taking a LD
Who says chabot is here next year? Or the year after. Maybe we sign an RD for 5 years. Then we have zub and new RD for several years and only Sanderson for the foreseeable future.

Take the best player imo

You could have said the same for Bogosian in 2008. That draft soft of felt like this draft. You've got a C going #1 and then a whole bunch of D along with a skilled Russian winger as the next potential picks.
Yeah you could have. But I mean you can say every prospect ranked in the top 5-10 is a “great prospect”.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
When you say "waiting 3 years", do you mean waiting two years and by year three they're playing?

As others are saying, if the best player on our board is a LHD, take him. If it's a tie, then they can factor in need based on hypothetical future depth charts. In 2021, Dorion and Mann explained the Tyler Boucher pick in part by claiming that the organization had its top of the lineup pieces in places, and what the team needed was elite complimentary players. We all know how that thinking worked out.

So what you are saying is have no vision and just draft the sexiest player without foresight To me drafting a LD is 100% a Dorion move, just no foresight or planning - like signing Tarasenko and you can’t afford Pinto.

Team building is more than just collecting sexy names, all the names talking about now Bennet, Joshua, Zadorov, all massive pieces of winnng teams. Ottawa needs more do that and not more just throw it all the wall and hope it sticks or figure it out later Ottawa got super burned on the fir Gurd it out later with Debrincat and Pinto and now Chychryn Stupid way to manage and it shows

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
So what you are saying is have no vision and just draft the sexiest player without foresight To me drafting a LD is 100% a Dorion move, just no foresight or planning - like signing Tarasenko and you can’t afford Pinto.

Team building is more than just collecting sexy names, all the names talking about now Bennet, Joshua, Zadorov, all massive pieces of winnng teams. Ottawa needs more do that and not more just throw it all the wall and hope it sticks or figure it out later Ottawa got super burned on the fir Gurd it out later with Debrincat and Pinto and now Chychryn Stupid way to manage and it shows
In Round 1, picks 1-20 (roughly), Best available player outweighs need. You only violate that, if need is only 1-2 spots off.

By pick 21 onwards, Best Available becomes murky and players are clumped into groups of 20 to 30. So need can be targeted.

I hear you about a plan, but that is for rounds 2 onwards , or possibly the second pick in the first round. At 7, this team is definitely in the Best available player.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Our need in two years may not be our need right now tho. You seem to just totally disregarding that. If chabot puts up two more poor seasons he will be gone. And LD will no longe the a position of strength. And staios may sign two RDs. And all of a sudden RD is a position of strength.

Also no one is getting the sexy name. We’re going after the best player. Who ever is best at that draft position.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

No, that's not what I'm saying and not what I said.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

This high in the draft you draft the most valuable asset. You get the biggest contributor possible at whatever position and when they are NHL ready you figure out how they slot into the team and how that player changes team needs. If you got the best player at that draft slot the problems that could come from it are generally good problems to have.

As you go deeper in the draft you make more and more certain that you are drafting with some degree of positional balance in mind.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
In Round 1, picks 1-20 (roughly), Best available player outweighs need. You only violate that, if need is only 1-2 spots off.

By pick 21 onwards, Best Available becomes murky and players are clumped into groups of 20 to 30. So need can be targeted.

I hear you about a plan, but that is for rounds 2 onwards , or possibly the second pick in the first round. At 7, this team is definitely in the Best available player.

The truth is teams don’t have 1 list, they have many lists and so if Mendes asked them “did you take the best player available on your list” they can say yes and not be lying,

Teams do raft for need, BPA is the line they give to fans.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's certainly a different look than most lists.

Don't think anyone else has Lev or Lindstrom outside of the top 5 and on the flip side, I have not seen anyone with Helenius and Iginla in the top 5.

As someone mentioned, great if it goes this way, as Lev seems to fit the mold when it comes to the perfect top-4 RD but seems unlikely to still be there at 7. Same with Lindstrom.

I think we are going to be picking a D and it is going to come down to one of Parekh, Buium, Dickinson and Yakemchuk. With Parekh and Dickinson both in the Mem Cup, makes for a good opportunity to see them playing in a very good mini-tournament style.

All that said, I am still intrigued with the potential of the Forwards that might be available to us, like Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius, Catton, Sennecke & Solberg.

Going to be an interesting draft.

God I hope he's right and that's where he goes ...
He's not predicting where they will go in this list

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sure, I guess then I hope the first 6 teams drafting have similar projections for who will be the best player in 4+ years...

I guess what I'm really saying is I want Levshunov...
Gathered that. lol I would not rank him as high as the consensus or you do but .. He has some nice tools.; Good size, and is a work out warrior ... I'd be fine with him being there at 7 but don't expect it. As far as RDs at the top .. I would put him at the top. I like the LDs better.

Reactions: Micklebot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad