NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At first I was thinking, damn, we need RD prospects really bad and we should load up on them. But then I checked and our top prospects are bottom 6/pairing guys at best lol.

Forwards or D, we need good prospects in our empty pool, but I hope there's a balance at the draft.
bottom 6 at best according to who?

If you go by Pronman and Wheeler ... they have little appreciation for defensive D men that don't show enough offense according to them.. Nothing wrong with a defense first D man playing with a pmd that needs help in that area.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Yeah, going to assume Sennecke will be o/u 13.5-14.5 and Solberg o/u ~30.5 give or take

Think both will be going earlier than where they are ranked
After 10 minutes of Soldberg viewing.....yeah I want him...with BOS 1st.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If I remember Bruce's article correctly, it was that there was a lot of interest in Zub at the trade deadline. For me, that doesn't translate to his being on the block unless they're offered something they can't pass up on. For me, that would have to be a good goalie or a physical RD.
or a top 5-10 first round pick. But we are trying to add skill rather than start a new rebuild at this time.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
After 10 minutes of Soldberg viewing.....yeah I want him...with BOS 1st.
I'd really like him as well, but I'd be pleasantly surprised to see him get to the Bruins pick.

1 NHL scout has him above Buium, an outlier of course, but there are some who view him very, very highly

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m warming up to Parekh. I’m curious to see the Mem Cup now.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dickinson looks like the most full package d man in the draft. Might be too much to pass up.
I think this draft with the huge variety in Rankings comes down to what Montreal admitted to last year with the #5 pick that if you have players ranked very close and your scouts have 2-3 different names for the top pick and it’s essentially a tie amongst 2-3 prospects within your group you go with the prospect that plays the hardest to find positions and the Habs went RD.

I know Dickinson might be ranked 1-2 spots above where the Sens pick but in that case I say they drop back and let a team looking for LD pick Dickinson or you just draft for need and hardest to find player and be happy with the pick.

Staois might want some more picks to add players for the now and trading back he could get some picks that help him fill out the depth D and depth forward pieces they need. If they take a D at #7 it’s a minimum 3 years before that player plays full time on Ottawa and I think dropping back to 10-17 doesn’t really change - ie they draft RD Jiriceck at #15 vs Yakumchuk at #7 they will both take 3 years to play full time.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think this draft with the huge variety in Rankings comes down to what Montreal admitted to last year with the #5 pick that if you have players ranked very close and your scouts have 2-3 different names for the top pick and it’s essentially a tie amongst 2-3 prospects within your group you go with the prospect that plays the hardest to find positions and the Habs went RD.

I know Dickinson might be ranked 1-2 spots above where the Sens pick but in that case I say they drop back and let a team looking for LD pick Dickinson or you just draft for need and hardest to find player and be happy with the pick.

Staois might want some more picks to add players for the now and trading back he could get some picks that help him fill out the depth D and depth forward pieces they need. If they take a D at #7 it’s a minimum 3 years before that player plays full time on Ottawa and I think dropping back to 10-17 doesn’t really change - ie they draft RD Jiriceck at #15 vs Yakumchuk at #7 they will both take 3 years to play full time.
Are you saying you don’t like Dickinson or you don’t want to draft LD

I'd really like him as well, but I'd be pleasantly surprised to see him get to the Bruins pick.

1 NHL scout has him above Buium, an outlier of course, but there are some who view him very, very highly
Skate, hands, and likes to blow players up. Certainly looks like a fun player

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Depends on who the pick is and what the depth chart looks like. Kevin Korchinski went 7th overall and took one year. Jamie Drysdale went sixth and took one year. Sanderson went fifth and took two. Seider took two. Really high end prospects take less time these days.

If it's Parekh at seven, you could be waiting three years. If it's someone like Levshunov, Dickinson or Buium, I think they could all play sooner.

Reactions: Big Muddy

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Wow. I don't get why he was rated as low as he has been. Seems to have all the tools.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Really hope we don't use the pick on Dickinson or Buium. Nothing about their game screams elite to me. It seems like a safe pick, but on top of the depth we have at LD, I hope we can snag an RD that has super star potential. Unless of course management thinks Dickinson, Buium, etc., can have an impact sooner than a Parekh

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Really hope we don't use the pick on Dickinson or Buium. Nothing about their game screams elite to me. It seems like a safe pick, but on top of the depth we have at LD, I hope we can snag an RD that has super star potential

I'm ok with either. Both appear to be ice-eating, minute crunching top 4 defensemen that will tilt the ice, albeit, in different ways. There are arguments for them to be BPA at 7.

After trading firsts, and striking out with Brown and Boucher, we could use a safe-ish sure-thing.

As far as need, with Chabot and Chychrun probably not being part, or key part, of the core in 2-3 years, we will have a need for this kind of player, LD or RD.

Reactions: bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Really hope we don't use the pick on Dickinson or Buium. Nothing about their game screams elite to me. It seems like a safe pick, but on top of the depth we have at LD, I hope we can snag an RD that has super star potential. Unless of course management thinks Dickinson, Buium, etc., can have an impact sooner than a Parekh
What did you think about Sanderson in his draft year? Were you among those who preferred Drysdale? I kind of feel like we have a similar choice leading into this draft.

I figure whoever we pick is 2+ years away (though some suggest Dickenson could be ready sooner), so I'm less concerned about which side of the ice they play on since that need may or our depth at LD no longer be true in 2026-27 and beyond.

Reactions: Icelevel

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
What did you think about Sanderson in his draft year? Were you among those who preferred Drysdale? I kind of feel like we have a similar choice leading into this draft.

I figure whoever we pick is 2+ years away (though some suggest Dickenson could be ready sooner), so I'm less concerned about which side of the ice they play on since that need may or our depth at LD no longer be true in 2026-27 and beyond.
Oh yeah, I was so hyped for Drysdale and Byfield. I was so bummed when LA picked Byfield and then when we didn't pick Drysdale, I had to go for a long walk with the dog.

Happily eating humble pie in hindsight, but I haven't been as high on a prospect as I've been on Parekh in a long time.

Reactions: Bileur

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Depends on who the pick is and what the depth chart looks like. Kevin Korchinski went 7th overall and took one year. Jamie Drysdale went sixth and took one year. Sanderson went fifth and took two. Seider took two. Really high end prospects take less time these days.

If it's Parekh at seven, you could be waiting three years. If it's someone like Levshunov, Dickinson or Buium, I think they could all play sooner.

I don’t see Korchiski and Drysdale making an impact at the NHL level, they have NHL spots but they aren’t impacting games and Ottawa should not be looking to draft a D at #7 to develop until 2030 when they are finally good and coming off their entry level deal. We have to be honest about our window right now.
(And Sanderson took 3 years he was 2 years in college)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Are you saying you don’t like Dickinson or you don’t want to draft LD

Skate, hands, and likes to blow players up. Certainly looks like a fun player

Dickinson’s a good player but roster contraction wise it makes no sense. Dorion would pick Dickinson and tell us all our D worries are taken care of.
Roster wise we need help everywhere else and LD is honestly the only stable position we have. Drafting a LD right now would be an organizational mistake, take a RW, LW C or RD with that #7 pick, the only the thing we should not be doing at #7 is taking a LD

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Dickinson’s a good player but roster contraction wise it makes no sense. Dorion would pick Dickinson and tell us all our D worries are taken care of.
Roster wise we need help everywhere else and LD is honestly the only stable position we have. Drafting a LD right now would be an organizational mistake, take a RW, LW C or RD with that #7 pick, the only the thing we should not be doing at #7 is taking a LD
Three years ago:

- We thought Stützle was a LW, now he’s our 1C
- Norris had two less shoulder surgeries than he has today and looked like a lock to be our 1C or 2C. Now were talking about putting him on the wing
- Chabot was our #1 dman, now he’s a bad contract that can’t be moved

Etc

No one can really project what’s going to happen three years from now. Doubly so because we’ll have a lot of our core players becoming UFAs.

You can always trade good players to fill other needs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oh yeah, I was so hyped for Drysdale and Byfield. I was so bummed when LA picked Byfield and then when we didn't pick Drysdale, I had to go for a long walk with the dog.

Happily eating humble pie in hindsight, but I haven't been as high on a prospect as I've been on Parekh in a long time.
Ya, I'm not trying to take away from Parekh as a prospect, I'll be more than happy with him, I just think that both Buium and Dickenson both look like very complete players that while not as flashy have the potential to be elite.

Honestly, aside from Levshunov, I don't have one D that I want above all else, I like Silayev but will be happy with any of Parekh, Buium, Dickenson, or Silayev. I'm a bit skeptical of Yakemchuk, though it would be funny to have a roster with Tkachuk, Ostapchuk, Yakemchuk, and maybe Katchouk.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Ya, I'm not trying to take away from Parekh as a prospect, I'll be more than happy with him, I just think that both Buium and Dickenson both look like very complete players that while not as flashy have the potential to be elite.

Honestly, aside from Levshunov, I don't have one D that I want above all else, I like Silayev but will be happy with any of Parekh, Buium, Dickenson, or Silayev. I'm a bit skeptical of Yakemchuk, though it would be funny to have a roster with Tkachuk, Ostapchuk, Yakemchuk, and maybe Katchouk.
My main concern with Yakemchuk is how much we'd be that he'll play with grit, but end up taking too many penalties. I don't know if he can skate his way out of difficult situations that he'll put himself in. He does seem like a high risk high bust type player as well

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yakemchuk seemed like he was taking 2 seconds to make a 1 second decision when I watched him in Moncton in January and he’d just try and stick handle and spin his way out of problems he was getting himself into making delayed decisions,and I saw a lot of that at the U18’a last year and Calgary this year. Think that’s going to be highlighted much more in the pro game and create more problems than it is in the CHL.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Three years ago:

- We thought Stützle was a LW, now he’s our 1C
- Norris had two less shoulder surgeries than he has today and looked like a lock to be our 1C or 2C. Now were talking about putting him on the wing
- Chabot was our #1 dman, now he’s a bad contract that can’t be moved

Etc

No one can really project what’s going to happen three years from now. Doubly so because we’ll have a lot of our core players becoming UFAs.

You can always trade good players to fill other needs.

Yeah but if injuries is an excuse or nobody knows what’s going to happen then draft a LW because Tkachuk might get injured and draft a C because Norris is always injured, I don’t understand how your philosophy leads to drafting a LD? and they should be drafting to fill needs not in case of emergency and to develop players and trade them away - if that’s what they want to do the. trade the #7 pick now instead of drafting Dickinson with the intend to trade him in 1-2 years and then he gets injured or has a bad WJC and his value plummets.

And you said Chabot is untradeble and then Said you can always trade good players - doesn’t make sense

Anyways, drafting a LD is a very stupid idea and I put the odds so Staois taking a LD at #7 at 0.5%

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don’t see Korchiski and Drysdale making an impact at the NHL level, they have NHL spots but they aren’t impacting games and Ottawa should not be looking to draft a D at #7 to develop until 2030 when they are finally good and coming off their entry level deal. We have to be honest about our window right now.
(And Sanderson took 3 years he was 2 years in college)

When you say "waiting 3 years", do you mean waiting two years and by year three they're playing?

As others are saying, if the best player on our board is a LHD, take him. If it's a tie, then they can factor in need based on hypothetical future depth charts. In 2021, Dorion and Mann explained the Tyler Boucher pick in part by claiming that the organization had its top of the lineup pieces in places, and what the team needed was elite complimentary players. We all know how that thinking worked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Dickinson looks like the most full package d man in the draft. Might be too much to pass up.

You could have said the same for Bogosian in 2008. That draft soft of felt like this draft. You've got a C going #1 and then a whole bunch of D along with a skilled Russian winger as the next potential picks.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Button also relesed his latest rankings yesterday that I never noticed until now, always likes to throw darts on his lists.

Had the exact same 10 in his midseason top 10, just oin a different order

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Helenius
4. Iginla
5. Parekh
6. Buium
7. Levshunov
8. Dickinson
9. Eiserman
10. Lindstrom

Sennecke jumped from 39 to 12, Solberg jumped from 45 to 15. The biggest risers

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
You could have said the same for Bogosian in 2008. That draft soft of felt like this draft. You've got a C going #1 and then a whole bunch of D along with a skilled Russian winger as the next potential picks.

I can’t remember if it was on here, I read it or was told but I think the Sens in the 08 draft had Bogosian ranked above Doughty.

Thank goodness we weren’t in a spot to make that mistake

Reactions: Bileur

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I can’t remember if it was on here, I read it or was told but I think the Sens in the 08 draft had Bogosian ranked above Doughty.

Thank goodness we weren’t in a spot to make that mistake

Bogosian actually outproduced Doughty in their draft year, despite Doughty being a late birthday.

Led his team in points with 61 in 60 games, while Doughty's production took a step back with only 50 points in 58 games.

And his physical tools were incredible. 6'3 with excellent skating ability. Looked the part of a future #1 D if you ignored the issues between the ears.

Doughty was a smarter hockey player with more skill, which ended up making a world of difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad