GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Talk - Picked 2nd, 18th, 27th, 67th, 72nd, 92nd, 138th, & 163rd Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think the trade up to #27 was probably poor value. But if it came down to that Carolina won't do the trade without an overpay, and they really wanted Vanacker...then screw it, just do it.

That's a benefit of acquiring all these picks, both this year and the other surrounding years.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Looking at 4 of the rankings (Button/Ellis/Wheeler/Pronman) here.

Boisvert was in the 24-27 range on all of them. Vanacker mid 30's.

KD probably gambled away the later picks on maybe a 5-10% chance that those guys could be gone. I don't think moving those picks is a big loss but we also likely didn't gain much.

Really wish he got the Demidov deal done though.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Probably would've drafted:

2. Demidov
20. Solberg/Surin/Hage (in that order)
34. Miettinen/Badinka
54. Linus Eriksson/Stiga
61. Battaglia

I would much prefer the above. I'm fine with the 3rd round picks as is.

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68 and Darkstar

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Its poor asset management.
It honestly felt to me like trading up just to trade up. The one occurred before draft day with no idea how the board was gonna shake out and the other seems like an overpay to draft someone that wasn’t a faller or anything like that. Hate to be overly cynical but it felt like the hawks were just feeling overburdened with picks and felt like they wanted to offload rather than manage through a crowded group in a couple years. It’s not that late seconds are the end all be all, but still feels like two were thrown away without a bigger purpose in mind.

Reactions: ndgt10 and pvr

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Just curious. If the Hawks are sitting at 3rd oa for the 2025 draft and Martone/Hagens are gone, do we have to pick a forward even if they arent the best player? Like what if Hensler, Boudimienne, and another defenseman just crush their draft year and project as #1 defensemen. Would you still force yourself to trade down?

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Just curious. If the Hawks are sitting at 3rd oa for the 2025 draft and Martone/Hagens are gone, do we have to pick a forward even if they arent the best player? Like what if Hensler, Boudimienne, and another defenseman just crush their draft year and project as #1 defensemen. Would you still force yourself to trade down?
I think the current management has consistently shown that they’ll just take “their guy” somewhat regardless of where they are at. They seem to really like certain players and then do everything in their power to get them.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

Chicago Blackhawks

After making a lot of picks over the last couple of drafts, the Blackhawks now clearly have moved from a quantity to quality approach and I think it paid off on Day 1. I thought they got the best defensive prospect in the draft at No. 2 with Artyom Levshunov, and they were the only team to make three first-round picks, trading up twice to grab Sacha Boisvert and Marek Vanacker, two players I’m high on and who fit in within the identity they covet — while also looking different than Frank Nazaror Oliver Moore.

They like speed, too, eh? It came as no surprise to me, or anyone who has been paying attention to the players they’ve drafted over the years, when they took John Mustard, AJ Spellacy and Jack Pridham, three of the best skaters and fastest players in the class, all in the third round. Mustard gets after it and puts defensemen on their heels, and I think he’s got a chance to become an up-tempo NHLer who can play up and down a lineup in time. Spellacy is a physical, imposing, big, strong, athletic kid who is very raw but who could make an excellent fourth-liner someday. And Pridham is another great athlete.

The Blackhawks don’t have the fastest team in the NHL right now, but they have the fastest prospect pool in hockey by a wide margin. Another strong draft for that group.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Not the picks I would have made but a good draft still.

We obviously don't know how things would have played out but it seems like they could have kept their original picks and probably got their guys + a Stiga and someone else. So even though it's a good draft, it feels like they left a lot of value on the table.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What could've been...
PyEDKGm.png

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
What could've been...
PyEDKGm.png
I prefer who they took at 18 to YOUR choice. Evidently most hockey insiders do as well.
Taking your player evaluation history into account I like the draft more now than I did yesterday.
You and BWC not liking him is a major plus.

you can keep telling yourself that was me if you like. doesn’t bother me to be associated with a good post. just speaks to your dual arrogance and ignorance that you cannot grasp that you are so unpopular someone would make an account just to call you stupid.
He lives large … in his small mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad