GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Talk - Picked 2nd, 18th, 27th, 67th, 72nd, 92nd, 138th, & 163rd Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not close to the same situation. Trubisky was a huge reach and had many questions about his actual talent level.

Lev is a consensus top 5 pick among scouts and for good reason. Despite what Disgruntled keeps claiming, Lev is absolutely a safe pick for a top 4 guy, Buium is not.

I also don’t for a second believe that this love for Demidov from you is more because of your weird ass infatuation for Russians.
Isn't a lot of the argument hinging on the fact that he's NOT actually that?

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Not close to the same situation. Trubisky was a huge reach and had many questions about his actual talent level.

Lev is a consensus top 5 pick among scouts and for good reason. Despite what Disgruntled keeps claiming, Lev is absolutely a safe pick for a top 4 guy, Buium is not.

I also don’t for a second believe that this love for Demidov from you is more because of your weird ass infatuation for Russians.
Did you watch Buium and Levshunov this year?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Part of it comes from the fact that (and this is just my zero research feeling) that scoring is WAY up in leagues. Like comparing the season that Quinn had to Levshunov and saying Lev outscored him and someone using that to project offense at the pro level just doesn't add up to me.

I watched a large portion of the top 50 players and I felt like this draft was underwhelming, yet when you hear people that love NHLe and stats and production they can't believe how "high end" this draft is.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I only watched Buium in the tourney but his IQ and impact are quite noticeable. I still like Lev and there's potential in there. I don't get the idea of calling a guy you're banking on boosting up his play because he has a lot of potential and shakey development, a safe pick. Lev makes no sense to call a safe pick.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
You know. I just can’t get over this “Get Bedard Help” narrative now espoused on this board and in the media. Lazarus new column compels me to say:

Nothing will help Bedard more than getting the effing puck out of our effing zone. No one in this ending draft gets the effing puck out of their effing zone better than Levshunov. Bedard is not some wounded fawn. Get him out of his zone and let him cook. Korchinski and Lev when they are fully cooked NHLers will be elite zone exiters.

How many times this year did Bedard play a full 45 seconds in our zone. Then try to make shit happen staying out there gassed for more than a minute just because they finally got the puck out.

If you like Demidov, fine. I love Demidov. But Bedard needs 0 help. Absolutely 0. He needs the puck in their zone with two plugs on his wings. Kurashev proved that this year.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
One thing about Buium is the "good team" argument.

In the Denver games I watched he looked like the best player on the team by a decent margin. It's one thing to pad stats by being on a good team...that happens, but those guys never look like the best/better player and carry the ice.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
lets hope levshunov is doughty and rinzel and kk pan out because that could be a special top 4...then you got a lot of cap space and future draft capital to surround the best forward prospect on the planet with talent

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I did yes. I don’t see what you’re seeing in Buium at all to call him a safe pick whatsoever.
Buium improved more than anyone during the year for me. He dominated the NCAA tournament. He's got the great combination of bulldog mentality with amazing hockey sense. He'll smile while you punch him in the face. He's a lunatic and a winner.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
You know. I just can’t get over this “Get Bedard Help” narrative now espoused on this board and in the media. Lazarus new column compels me to say:

Nothing will help Bedard more than getting the effing puck out of our effing zone. No one in this ending draft gets the effing puck out of their effing zone better than Levshunov. Bedard is not some wounded fawn. Get him out of his zone and let him cook. Korchinski and Lev when they are fully cooked NHLers will be elite zone exiters.

How many times this year did Bedard play a full 45 seconds in our zone. Then try to make shit happen staying out there gassed for more than a minute just because they finally got the puck out.

If you like Demidov, fine. I love Demidov. But Bedard needs 0 help. Absolutely 0. He needs the puck in their zone with two plugs on his wings. Kurashev proved that this year.
Can’t say I agree with this, at least fully. Sure moving the puck out of the zone should be improved.

The bigger problem is that all these forward plugs handled the puck like a grenade. They’d lose the puck immediately in transition, or if they managed to get in the offensive zone, they’d lose it immediately.

That’s simply a talent issue at forward, which is why I want to draft forwards first and foremost.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
One thing about Buium is the "good team" argument.

In the Denver games I watched he looked like the best player on the team by a decent margin. It's one thing to pad stats by being on a good team...that happens, but those guys never look like the best/better player and carry the ice.
Hopefully he drops to 13-15 and we are able to trade up for him.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Then we'll never agree on prospects. He lacks physical gifts but outperforms guys more talented because of how rock solid smart he is. That's the single most translatable NHL skill.
there are two undesirable extremes i can see in this thinking and its inverse. you can end up with all tools no toolbox, i.e. athanasiou, or all toolbox no tools, i.e. dylan strome. granted, these two examples are forwards so it doesn’t exactly track onto what we are discussing, but you see my point.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
there are two undesirable extremes i can see in this thinking and its inverse. you can end up with all tools no toolbox, i.e. athanasiou, or all toolbox no tools, i.e. dylan strome. granted, these two examples are forwards so it doesn’t exactly track onto what we are discussing, but you see my point.
Strome has a toolbox and a ton of tools.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
I absolutely f***ing love Buium (if it were up to me this would be down to him and Iginla)

I can see why they’d want Levshunov though. Mostly because of the skating

Reactions: TLEH

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $27,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia