2024 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Looking back on all the lists through the years, it's wild how few Russians actually thrive in the NHL.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Who do you think is better between Nabakov and Moysevich? I know Moysevich is Belorussian, but he's been playing in Russia for a number of years.
If we look at who is better currently then the answer is clear: Nabokov, as he has been named the second best KHL goalie this year and the playoffs MVP there. However I think you probably also meant going forward and here it is not that obvious, as to me Moysevich seems to have a higher ceiling: his size, body type and agility look perfect for a potential NHL goalie. He is further from being considered a finished product, as he is a late-bloomer, not to mention that it really takes time for the big goalies to reach the prime, but I think in the end of the day he might become better.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Looking back on all the lists through the years, it's wild how few Russians actually thrive in the NHL.
Has the number of successful Russian players during those draft years been that lower than lets say the number of Swedish players?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Have you noticed an uptick in Belorussian prospects in Russia and the quality of Belorussian players?
There has been higher demand for Belorussian prospects due to them not being considered as foreigners in the KHL, but as for the overall talent production it depends on which point we take for the reference. I mean, like comparing to 10 years ago - sure, but in the recent 5 years the talent production has been consistently good there, just maybe it was less noticeable, as most of them rather quickly disappeared somewhere in NA leagues and didn't get even to the draft.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Has the number of successful Russian players during those draft years been that lower than lets say the number of Swedish players?
Don't know, but I randomly took one year, 2017, and found out 27 Swedish players were drafted while only 18 Russians, the highest being EP40 at 5, then players at 7 (Lias Anderson), 15 (Brannstrom) and 17 (Liljgren) before the first Russian was taken (Kostin at 31). Other Swedes that year that made it to the Show include Jesper Boqvist, Gustav Lindstrom, Fabian Zetterlund, Emil Benstrom, Jacob Peterson and Sebastian Aho (D). So basically a little more than a 3rd Swedes drafted. Pretty good ratio.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Don't know, but I randomly took one year, 2017, and found out 27 Swedish players were drafted while only 18 Russians, the highest being EP40 at 5, then players at 7 (Lias Anderson), 15 (Brannstrom) and 17 (Liljgren) before the first Russian was taken (Kostin at 31). Other Swedes that year that made it to the Show include Jesper Boqvist, Gustav Lindstrom, Fabian Zetterlund, Emil Benstrom, Jacob Peterson and Sebastian Aho (D). So basically a little more than a 3rd Swedes drafted. Pretty good ratio.
The Russian factor has always been there, more or less - depending on the year. As for the 2017, it wasn't a particularly strong year for the Russian players, but still 6 guys from my list (both drafted and undrafted) can be considered as full-time NHL players at this point. Not sure about the number of Swedish players, but just from the drafted Swedish guys there are 8 if I counted it correctly.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Russian factor has always been there, more or less - depending on the year. As for the 2017, it wasn't a particularly strong year for the Russian players, but still 6 guys from my list (both drafted and undrafted) can be considered as full-time NHL players at this point. Not sure about the number of Swedish players, but just from the drafted Swedish guys there are 8 if I counted it correctly.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not for a lack of talent though. I also wonder if we're soon gonna see more Russians in the NHL or other NA leagues. Don't wanna get into politics too much but in the past, Russians didn't have the same desire to play in the NHL as prospects from other countries. Why do AHL bus rides if you, for similar or better money, can play at home instead? Without a clear path to the NHL, 9 out of 10 Russian prospects were never gonna leave the KHL or at least return home at the first chance if things didn't go their way. Wouldn't surprise me to see the NHL, or just the opportunity to live in North America, become more and more popular for Russians now.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Pettersson, Brannstrom, Liljegren, Boqvist, Lindstrom, Zetterlund, Bemstrom, Aho - that's 8 drafted NHLers to me. If adding Soderblom and Holmberg, who were also eligible for drafting back then it is 10 indeed.
Jacob Peterson and Lias Andersson

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
They were AHLers though last time I checked.
They are, but they've both played in the NHL. Andersson's got over 100 games under his belt and Jacob's played a handful if not more. I expect both will be in the show again at some point.

There are actually three other drafted Swedes that season who have played in an NHL game, but I chose to omit them.

By contrast, Russia had 6 drafted that year who have seen time in an NHL game.

In 2018, 6 out of 17 Russians drafted played a game in the NHL. Swedes had 14 out of 25.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
They are, but they've both played in the NHL. Andersson's got over 100 games under his belt and Jacob's played a handful if not more. I expect both will be in the show again at some point.

There are actually three other drafted Swedes that season who have played in an NHL game, but I chose to omit them.

By contrast, Russia had 6 drafted that year who have seen time in an NHL game.

In 2018, 6 out of 17 Russians drafted played a game in the NHL. Swedes had 14 out of 25.
As I already mentioned for the draft there is such a thing as Russian factor, don't think there is such a thing as Swedish factor, as a consequence there are almost no undrafted NHL players from Sweden, yet plenty from Russia.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Corey Pronman's new article with quotes from the NHL executives (NHL Draft Confidential: What scouts and executives think of Celebrini, Demidov and more) is amazing, a lot of the Russian factor out there. Some best quotes:

Executive 3: Give me a break where all the lists have Demidov. He’s lighting up the MHL, but that league is so bad. Michkov was great versus men over there and went seventh.
Looks like someone needs a lecture about the current state of the MHL and the difference between the Gold and Silver divisions there.

Scout 7: Silayev looks great but we never saw him live so it’s tough to feel confident in putting a guy that high on your list.
I'm sure if we somehow could send this quote to Tim Robinson, he could make a funny sketch out of it.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
That Dan Milstein's "Russian Combine" camp might be getting more hype than the NHL Combine lol. Anyway, we have some measurements for the future reference:

Igor Chernyshov: 6'2.75" 204 lbs
Ivan Demidov: 6'0.5" 192 lbs
Matvei Gridin: 6'1.5" 189 lbs
Timur Kol: 6'3.5" 204 lbs
Artyom Kudashov: 5'10.75" 184 lbs
Ivan Okunev: 5'10.5 177 lbs
Matvei Shuravin: 6'3.75" 218 lbs
Yegor Surin: 6'0.75" 197 lbs
Maxim Venskel: 6'3.25" 198 lbs

There's also Mario Patalakha in that camp (6'0.75" 208 lbs), who was the last cut from my list due to that I didn't think I saw him enough to understand his progress (he was fine, but rather meh in the MHL and getting extremely limited minutes in the KHL), would be fun if he actually gets drafted this year.

Also from the NHL Combine we know that Mikhail Yegorov is 6'5" 188 lbs.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Bit off topic, but how do you think long in the tooth prospect grigori dronov has looked the past year or two? Any chance he could still come over and be an NHL dman? A zub or gavrikov etc. @Caser

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Appreciate the work you put into these Cesar!

I think Artomonov is going to be a steal for whoever gets him. Hearing a lot of good things recently from a few analysts, but he seems to be flying under the radar still.

Love the links to previous years too!

Reactions: Caser and SI90
Nov 9, 2022
Fyodor Avramov is said to be flying under all the radars. Any insight on his game? He has a great NHL type frame and a good shot from what I read. Believe it was 2021/2022 season he didnt play, due to injury I assume?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Bit off topic, but how do you think long in the tooth prospect grigori dronov has looked the past year or two? Any chance he could still come over and be an NHL dman? A zub or gavrikov etc. @Caser
Unfortunately this season he not only didn't make enough progress, but has even regressed, so I guess the closest he got to the NHL was rejecting the Canes contract offer two years ago.

Fyodor Avramov is said to be flying under all the radars. Any insight on his game? He has a great NHL type frame and a good shot from what I read. Believe it was 2021/2022 season he didnt play, due to injury I assume?
He has that, but, as I mentioned in the OP, he isn't my cup of tea like at all. He played in 2021/22, just was too young to play in the MHL and eliteprospects isn't good with Russian regional midget leagues' stats.

goaliescout

Jun 22, 2024
Did you have a chance at seeing Semyon Konopsky in his very limited showings behind the 2 older Loko studs? His games and the Loko goalie camp video I have make him a very intriguing prospect. Big, athletic, fast on his skates amazing lateral quickness. He looks like Bobrovsky. Watch him go undrafted then be 2nd rounder next year. Never mentioned on twitter hfboards either

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Did you have a chance at seeing Semyon Konopsky in his very limited showings behind the 2 older Loko studs? His games and the Loko goalie camp video I have make him a very intriguing prospect. Big, athletic, fast on his skates amazing lateral quickness. He looks like Bobrovsky. Watch him go undrafted then be 2nd rounder next year. Never mentioned on twitter hfboards either
I don't think I have seen him, as he played only six games and 5 out of them were against the Silver division's teams. He might become good, but in general the fact that at this point he couldn't be at least a backup on the Loko-76 team isn't a great sign to say it mildly.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
@Caser great work! Thank you!

Question on Surin:
Rankings on him are all over the place. So are predictions of who he will be. Some see a top 6 forward. Others more of a top 9 grinder.

What do you think his nhl upside is? Top 6 or top 9? And why?

Thanks!

Reactions: Caser

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
@Caser great work! Thank you!

Question on Surin:
Rankings on him are all over the place. So are predictions of who he will be. Some see a top 6 forward. Others more of a top 9 grinder.

What do you think his nhl upside is? Top 6 or top 9? And why?

Thanks!
The upside is Top 6 for sure, I mean, as I already mentioned in the OP, he got the right talent and I seriously think if he would work a bit harder then he could've had a MHL performance maybe not the same, but comparable to Demidov's dominance.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Interesting you still
The upside is Top 6 for sure, I mean, as I already mentioned in the OP, he got the right talent and I seriously think if he would work a bit harder then he could've had a MHL performance maybe not the same, but comparable to Demidov's dominance.
Interesting you only put him #6 with said nhl top6 upside. General media dont seem scared, even praise, his on ice effort. Good russian class ? Thanks !

Reactions: Caser

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Interesting you still

Interesting you only put him #6 with said nhl top6 upside. General media dont seem scared, even praise, his on ice effort. Good russian class ? Thanks !
In terms of the high-end guys this class is indeed quite something as aside from the surefire first-rounders (Silayev, Demidov, Chernyshov) already as much as the next four guys - Artamonov, Shuravin, Surin and Gridin - can be considered as first-round candidates and it shouldn't be any shock if they actually go there (will be a shock if they all will get selected there though). So placing him 6th here isn't actually "only", although I must admit it is a bit lower than his upside suggests. As about the effort, they probably mean the MHL playoffs, where Surin indeed looked very motivated and performed as he should, it wasn't exactly like that if we look at the full course of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad