Post-Game Talk: 2024 NHL Draft -- Rate it, Love it or Hate it

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Give your ranking

• A+

Votes: 183 51.4%
  • A

Votes: 136 38.2%
  • B+

Votes: 27 7.6%
  • B

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • C+

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Difficult to rate the later picks.

However, I find the first round was excellent value. Both Demidov and Have likely should have went earlier. Demidov is a top 2OA caliber talent and Hage was picked later due to circumstances (injury, personal tragedy), however he has every tool on top of a second half where he tore it up. What happens if he went 2ppg the whole year ? I can easily understand why Hughes and Lapointe were all smiles. So, A.

Hage has all the makings of a mid/late 1st round steal, IMO.

I think this kid has a legitimate chance to develop into a 70+pt player. The character, the skills, the size, he has it all.

Demidov? Yeah nothing needs to be said there. 90+pt upside. We likely just nabbed our Kucherov/Kaprizov.

I could not be happier with how this turned out

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
We do like our Q players, don't we?

They couldn't fail because of Demidov but I'll give them a C for the rest of the draft. Ridiculous picks made, we lost a 2nd rounder for nothing, refused to move up to grab clear fallers that would've been a) good PR and B) good value.

The good: Demidov and Koivu
The bad: moving up for no reason
The ugly: Two quebecois born players on 40 picks for this management.

Moved up for Hage. You think he would have been here at 26?

As for the quebecois, is it more on the Habs or on the extreme incompetence of quebec hockey?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Hage has all the makings of a mid/late 1st round steal, IMO.

I think this kid has a legitimate chance to develop into a 70+pt player. The character, the skills, the size, he has it all.

Demidov? Yeah nothing needs to be said there. 90+pt upside. We likely just nabbed our Kucherov/Kaprizov.

I could not be happier with how this turned out

Hage is something I've been wanting this organization to do for years upon years.

Firstly, get multiple first round picks.

Then, target a player your scouting staff considers undervalued and do everything to move up and get him.

Gorton did it with Schneider and tried to do it with Elias Pettersson, but they ended up with Andersson.

But, with them drafting high skilled players like Slafkovsky, Mesar, Hage, Hutson and Demidov in the top rounds, Im starting to wonder if getting rid of Timmins/Bergevin might not have unshackled Lapointe. He seemed real happy getting these high skilled players, which I've never seen from Berg/Timmins.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

As for the quebecois, is it more on the Habs or on the extreme incompetence of quebec hockey?
Justin Poirier exists, he's an amazing prospect. Raoul Boilard is also great. Stop making stupid excuses.

Doesn't matter Vanacker, Greentree, Basha, and others were there and were at least as good as Hage. It was a failure. I know people drink the kool-aid around here but will someone take the bet that Hage is gonna be better than any of those? That means we overpaid.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
2022 : Slaf, Beck, Hutson and Engstrom all have NHL potential, two of them with superstars ceiling.

2023 : Reinbacher, Newhook, Fowler, Xhekaj and Konyushkov could all play in the NhL.

2024 : Demidov, Hage are basically sure things as contributors.

What’s not to like? Can I remind you where we come from in terms of drafting over 30 years ?

Well, you're right.

We have a decent enough scouting staff. I'm too harsh on them.

Though, not in the ball park of minny or Dallas IMO.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Justin Poirier exists, he's an amazing prospect. Raoul Boilard is also great. Stop making stupid excuses.

Doesn't matter Vanacker, Greentree, Basha, and others were there and were at least as good as Hage. It was a failure. I know people drink the kool-aid around here but will someone take the bet that Hage is gonna be better than any of those? That means we overpaid.

Well i certainly prefer Hage to Vanacker, Greentree or Basha.

Poirier and Boilard exist but like you previously and correctly stated, like Koivu, they would have been favourite pick for politics reason and not upside reason.

The Q is unfortunately trending to the BCHL level.

No wonder the majority of top Canadian prospect are drafted out of the USHL/NCAA. Even the likes of Hage and Boisvert.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I will take that bet. I think Hage will be better than Greentree, Vanacker and Basha, and I've loved Basha all year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would. Hage is, to me, significantly better than the guys you listed. Maybe he’s not significantly better than Greentree, but he’s definitely better.
I hope so. At the end of the day even while being optimistic you raise a point against moving the 2nd. "Maybe not significantly" how significant does the difference between two players have to be to be worth a 2nd rounder?
Well i certainly prefer Hage to Vanacker, Greentree or Basha.

Poirier and Boilard exist but like you previously and correctly stated, like Koivu, they would have been favourite pick for politics reason and not upside reason.

The Q is unfortunately trending to the BCHL level.

No wonder the majority of top Canadian prospect are drafted out of the USHL/NCAA. Even the likes of Hage and Boisvert.
Both Poirier and Boilard would've been PR picks AND upside picks. I'm positive both make the NHL. We're gonna see the same story we see every year with Q/small players.
I will take that bet. I think Hage will be better than Greentree, Vanacker and Basha, and I've loved Basha all year.
Well see. I don't like his chances, and it seems like the scouts thought the same thing on Bobby Mack's list.

Reactions: Jaynki

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
You're big on skating, I've seen you mention it a lot. Have you any thoughts on Demidov?
Skating is to hockey what swimming is to water polo.

I have been around the game for 60 years: as a player, coach, manager, league convener, consultant, father and grandfather. And for the last decade plus, an executive director of a provincial sport organization that selects and enters teams at a national U18 hockey championship. In my long years of following this great game I can confidently state that the main separation between all levels of players is their comparative skating ability.

Over the years, I have been to hundreds of tryouts. They all generally start the same. Kids are lined up at one redline and race length of the ice towards the other redline. Then they do it again. Then the kids do it backwards. Then again, up the ice and then back. Then the kids are asked to skate the five circles, first forward then backwards. Then these exercises are all repeated with pucks being introduced. At the end of these basic skating and skill exercises, which takes about 20 minutes, I always tell my staff, if they aren't available to identify the top 10 players and the weakest 10 players, they are in the wrong business.

So yes, skating ability (speed, agility, balance and explosiveness) is a prime consideration in my assessment of any player, at any level. As I have often stated, I follow the old Russian adage: If you can skate anything is possible. If you can't nothing is.

As for Demidov, I must confess that I fall within the group of observers who are somewhat uneasy about the level of competition this fine young player has been facing. For obvious political reasons, we have not had an opportunity to assess Demidov's comparative skills playing against elite competition such as the U18. That would have provided a much more accurate barometer of this player's comparative skills and upside potential. I wish I could have seen him play just once against elite competition. That missed opportunity may work as a blessing because a dominant Demidov would probably not have dropped to 5 OA.

What I have seen of Demidov on video indicates a player possessing an elite level of skill, who, if he can replicate that performance against superior competition, has a chance of becoming the most impactful player to come out of this draft and the best offensive player on Montreal since Richer.

After wandering in the wilderness of irrelevancy for over 3 decades when you get an opportunity to draft a player of such immense potential, you have to take the chance.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

Says who as good as hage, as obviously the habs had hage way higher in their list .
For a veteran poster you surprise me doubling down on a such a bad take .
Heck Hughes even said he was trading out of the 21st if hage was gone .
In a few years we can revisit the opinion , but not one can say those are at least better then him

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Says who as good as hage, as obviously the habs had hage way higher in their list .
For a veteran poster you surprise me doubling down on a such a bad take .
Heck Hughes even said he was trading out of the 21st if hage was gone .
In a few years we can revisit the opinion , but not one can say those are at least better then him
But you can say that it's a bad take to say the difference between Hage and Vanacker, Greentree and Basha is not a 2nd rounder.

The irony.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
As for Demidov, I must confess that I fall within the group of observers who are somewhat uneasy about the level of competition this fine young player has been facing. For obvious political reasons, we have not had an opportunity to assess Demidov's comparative skills playing against elite competition such as the U18. That would have provided a much more accurate barometer of this player's comparative skills and upside potential. I wish I could have seen him play just once against elite competition. That missed opportunity may work as a blessing because a dominant Demidov would probably not have dropped to 5 OA.

What I have seen of Demidov on video indicates a player possessing an elite level of skill, who, if he can replicate that performance against superior competition, has a chance of becoming the most impactful player to come out of this draft and the best offensive player on Montreal since Richer.

After wandering in the wilderness of irrelevancy for over 3 decades when you get an opportunity to draft a player of such immense potential, you have to take the chance.
My question is about Demidov's skating in particular, the notorious 10-2. Once you see it, you can't unsee it in his highlights. Can it be optimised?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
My question is about Demidov's skating in particular, the notorious 10-2. Once you see it, you can't unsee it in his highlights. Can it be optimised?
I'm not troubled by it.

I have seen 'awkward' skaters over the years who still had the ability to create the speed and separation needed to perform and excel at the NHL level. The most classic example was Guy Lafleur. I was at his first NHL pre-season game and saw what could only be described as a clunky style/form of skating. I couldn't understand the hype around this kid particularly when Marcel Dionne (who went second in the 1971 draft) had a fluid explosive style of skating that was breathtaking. How could we have passed on that skating ability?

I was wrong. It happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I share the majority's excitement for rounds 1+3 and unwarranted questions on the following rounds given my lack of credentials.

I would love to know why some players that this board loved ended up falling so much, but I guess we'll never know. We've had good to great surprises with our unknown picks in the HuGo era.
Some players that intrigued me that were available and "fell": Wetsch, Pridham, Jecho, Boilard, Roberts, Misa, Poirier, Avramov, Satan Jr.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I've heard a small minority associate the 10-2 with knocked-kneed. Knocked-kneed skating is bad. 10-2 is different and depends how you use it. Demidov is not knocked-kneed and optimizes the 10-2 to have an incredible wingspan protecting the puck. Like no one else.

The association between 10-2 and knocked-kneed is because of players like Martin Pospisil. Compare Pospisil and Demidov's skating and we have apples and oranges.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I hope so. At the end of the day even while being optimistic you raise a point against moving the 2nd. "Maybe not significantly" how significant does the difference between two players have to be to be worth a 2nd rounder?
I never thought Greentree would be available at 26, so I would’ve traded a 2nd to trade up for him as well.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006

We came away with two bonafides, and have the essential assets still in the cupboard to do more sooner (off-season) or later, 2025.

Round 2 had some players I liked, but I anticipate more moves are coming, and it’s great to add Demidov and Hage and still have 7 picks next year in the first 3 rounds.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If Emil Andrea is a reason for not picking a D in Philly, I give up on their rebuild ASAP.

Briere had a bad day. Even though I liked Luchanko a lot, it’s inexcusable.

Remind me of Timmins when he said he was not interested in Quinn Hughes because we had Victor Mete

• Wow
Reactions: Gustave

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

There's no way he was there at 26. I think Toronto wanted him, and 3 of the next 4 picks were players who might be centers - any one of those teams may have had Hage ahead of the guy they took (Surin, Beaudoin, Letourneau).

And there's no way that the lack of Quebec hockey picks is on the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad