2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't want another two-defenseman. We have so many of those and that seems to be Minnesota's bread and butter since they were brought into existence. I'd love to have Buium and to some extent Yak.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I don't trust the Wild scouts at all when it comes to d-men. It's been over a decade since they drafted a d-man that has played more than few games. Only 2 Wild drafted d-men (Hunt 12 games, and Belpedio 16 games) have seen any NHL action since the 2013 (Soucy/Olofsson) draft class.

Long gone are the Scandella, Leddy, Brodin, Dumba, Soucy, etc. draft guys that evaluated d-men.
That's crazy to think about when its spelled out like that

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I don't trust the Wild scouts at all when it comes to d-men. It's been over a decade since they drafted a d-man that has played more than few games. Only 2 Wild drafted d-men (Hunt 12 games, and Belpedio 16 games) have seen any NHL action since the 2013 (Soucy/Olofsson) draft class.

Long gone are the Scandella, Leddy, Brodin, Dumba, Soucy, etc. draft guys that evaluated d-men.

Could be poor scouting, could also be changing drafting priorities.

In the drafts ranging from 2013 to 2019, they only picked one dman (guess who) in the first two rounds. If you extend it to first three rounds, then you also get Belpedio.

Now compare that to the list of your guys and you'll notice they are mostly from the first two rounds. Soucy is the exception, but it also took him 6 years to play his first full season. I imagine if you looked at the 2013 draft 3-4 years after it happened, Soucy probably wouldn't stand out as a future NHLer.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't think Minnesota has really picked a pure goal scorer like Eiserman since ...?

I guess Boldy, but Boldy over Caufield was a huge debate and still is. Then you have Stramel. And before that passing on Firgus. Passing on Snuggs for Ohgren. Like I'd like them to pick Eiserman just because it goes against their traditional picks. I expect someone like MBN or Helenius.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think Minnesota has really picked a pure goal scorer like Eiserman since ...?

I guess Boldy, but Boldy over Caufield was a huge debate and still is. Then you have Stramel. And before that passing on Firgus. Passing on Snuggs for Ohgren. Like I'd like them to pick Eiserman just because it goes against their traditional picks. I expect someone like MBN or Helenius.
Not to me. It's Boldy, all day long. Ohgren was a more highly regarded prospect than Snuggerud, and after a great first year with the Gophers on a loaded line, Snuggerud has come back to earth a little bit, while Ohgren has already gotten in a few NHL games. it is hardly written in stone who is better. I also noticed that you failed to mention Yurov, who was taken after both of them, and had a better year in a better league than both of them. Would you trade Snuggerud for Yurov right now? Would you be happier with Boeser than JEE?

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Helenius is a better skater, bigger, and stronger than MiG was during his draft year. Better two way player. Not nearly the puck handler or passer. Probably a better shooter, but that's not saying much, as MiG's shot was pretty bad early on. Main thing i like about Helenius is his smarts. Thing I don't like is that i think he is sort of maxed out physically, but i could be wrong on that. He could end up with a fire hydrant body like fiala and Kap, weighing over 200 lbs.

Bottom line is that I don't think that Helenius and Granlund's game have much in common. You hope that his floor is as a guy like Haula, and(keeping it Finnish here)his ceiling, Aho. Pretty wide spread, i know.

Parekh freaks me out. You?
A little, but he’s so so talented

As a 5'11" 190lbs. Finnish C/W who has a well rounded game, is said to be very intelligent, is stronger and more physically engaged than his size would make one think, and is ranked by scouting services around #9, he sure does sound like another player the Wild have drafted. Then again, Helenius has skating often listed as a strength and not a weakness, so it's not 1:1.

Personally, I'd be fine with another Granlund at 13th overall. Others probably feel we've been there before, so they want something different, and that's fine too.
I just have not liked helenius much in my viewings. He’s a good skater, which is good because ehe’s not big. But, the skill isn’t anything special, and he’s not an overly creative player. He competes hard but again he’s not big or strong so it’s more of an “A for effort”.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
A little, but he’s so so talented

I just have not liked helenius much in my viewings. He’s a good skater, which is good because ehe’s not big. But, the skill isn’t anything special, and he’s not an overly creative player. He competes hard but again he’s not big or strong so it’s more of an “A for effort”.
Good to know, I haven't been able to watch much of him so I'm going off of scouting reports (and what you guys are telling me). I will say, a smart player who plays hard, skates fast, and keeps things simple may not be flashy, but is definitely useful. I really don't care what a player plays like as long as they're effective. There are other players I'd prefer (and actually have watched) but his selection wouldn't upset me either.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
That's crazy to think about when its spelled out like that
Historically our drafting is just plain suspect. No one from 2013-2014, 2016-2018 are on the roster. Only one is gonna make it from 2019. Dumba is gone. How can you have a competitive roster drafting like that… We thin.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Historically our drafting is just plain suspect. No one from 2013-2014, 2016-2018 are on the roster. Only one is gonna make it from 2019. Dumba is gone. How can you have a competitive roster drafting like that… We thin.
That's partially because Fletcher kept trading our picks, but JEE was a great pick, Tuch was good, Boldy was great, Kap was insane, remains to be seen with Rossi, but he at least seems to be decent. I mean, if we are going to be fair, we have to applaud the Haula, Kaprizov, Soucy, picks, too, don't we?

We just either haven't had a lot of picks, or when we've had them, they've haven't been high, even though that isn't a guarantee. We were so jealous of NYR getting the #1 and #2 oa picks two years in a row. I wouldn't trade both for Boldy right now.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I think it’s very normal to have gaps like that with your on the roster criteria, you are talking about drafts over a decade ago in your sample. The amount of picks per draft that even play for 11 years post draft is low, let alone for the drafting team.

Not to mention that MN was a top 10 (5?) regular season record team from then until now so we weren’t exactly getting high picks.

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Drafting and retaining players are different things to me.

These are the Wild draft players that are in the NHL just for different teams due to trades.
2013: Soucy
2014: Tuch and Kahk
2015: Greenway
2016: Kunin and Duhaime
2018: Dewar and McBain (wouldn't sign)

If no trades had happened, everyone signed, no expansion drafts, and they resigned the UFAs.

Kap/JEE/Tuch
Ohgren?/Rossi/Yurov? (projecting this line a bit)
Greenway/McBain/Kunin
Shaw/Dewar/Duhaime

Brodin/Dumba
Soucy/
Seeler

Kahk
Wallstedt

There really isn't a lot of holes that would need to be filled via FA. 2nd line FWDs and RD are about it. There could be a couple of upgrades in other spots, for sure, but the lineup isn't terrible.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Drafting and retaining players are different things to me.

These are the Wild draft players that are in the NHL just for different teams due to trades.
2013: Soucy
2014: Tuch and Kahk
2015: Greenway
2016: Kunin and Duhaime
2018: Dewar and McBain (wouldn't sign)

If no trades had happened, everyone signed, no expansion drafts, and they resigned the UFAs.

Kap/JEE/Tuch
Ohgren?/Rossi/Yurov? (projecting this line a bit)
Greenway/McBain/Kunin
Shaw/Dewar/Duhaime

Brodin/Dumba
Soucy/
Seeler

Kahk
Wallstedt

There really isn't a lot of holes that would need to be filled via FA. 2nd line FWDs and RD are about it. There could be a couple of upgrades in other spots, for sure, but the lineup isn't terrible.
Where did Boldy go?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
buium at 13 would be my 1st choice! (not happening). assuming all stud D gone eiserman at 13 2nd choice (upside potential). we should trade back for these but next solberg / greentree / chernyshov / yakemchuk tied for 3rd imo. & charlie elick

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not to me. It's Boldy, all day long. Ohgren was a more highly regarded prospect than Snuggerud, and after a great first year with the Gophers on a loaded line, Snuggerud has come back to earth a little bit, while Ohgren has already gotten in a few NHL games. it is hardly written in stone who is better. I also noticed that you failed to mention Yurov, who was taken after both of them, and had a better year in a better league than both of them. Would you trade Snuggerud for Yurov right now? Would you be happier with Boeser than JEE?

Yurov is a weird case since he was Russian. Snuggerud was gone by the time Yurov was picked. Boeser for JEE, probably not since JEE plays center and Boeser doesn't.

But Lambos over Stankoven? At least try to move up again.

Kulich over Yurov is a hard choice. Firkus for Yurov, probably not.

Stramel was such a bad pick as well, because he didn't fill any real need for the team. Perrault was there. Musty was there.

Just imagine if Minnesota had grabbed a guy like Perrault or Musty. We'd probably be good at getting a defense this year.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yurov is a weird case since he was Russian. Snuggerud was gone by the time Yurov was picked. Boeser for JEE, probably not since JEE plays center and Boeser doesn't.

Stramel was such a bad pick as well, because he didn't fill any real need for the team. Perrault was there. Musty was there.

Just imagine if Minnesota had grabbed a guy like Perrault or Musty. We'd probably be good at getting a defense this year.

I disagree about Stramel not filling a need for the team as a big center. Going into the draft Rossi wasn't looking all that great and Yurov was still considered a winger. McBain not signing in MN left a big hole in the bottom-6 center spot for MN.

I do agree it wasn't a good pick. If it was Ritchie (similar size and position) picked instead everyone would be over the moon to have that big center that drives play and puts up points; like he was last year in the CHL. He'd probably be penciled in a a middle-6 C for next season on the boards.

Reactions: 57special

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I disagree about Stramel not filling a need for the team as a big center. Going into the draft Rossi wasn't looking all that great and Yurov was still considered a winger. McBain not signing in MN left a big hole in the bottom-6 center spot for MN.

They had Khusnutdinov and Ohgren at center. You also had Bankier, Lorenz, and Haight. I know Khusnutdinov, Haight and Ohgren are smaller than Stramel, but they all pretty much line up as middle 6 guys. Like there are a ton of centers right now for Minnesota, which isn't a bad thing. They also doubled down by picking Kumps and then Heidt.

I do agree it wasn't a good pick. If it was Ritchie (similar size and position) picked instead everyone would be over the moon to have that big center that drives play and puts up points; like he was last year in the CHL. He'd probably be penciled in a a middle-6 C for next season on the boards.

Ritchie would have been a good pick.

I think the biggest weakness right now for Minnesota is right wing. They have very little in terms of right handed shots.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Right idea, wrong player, basically. What's annoying is that there were big C's available who look to be decent such as Edstron, Ritchie, Wahlberg, and one or two others. I did like the Kumpulainen and Heidt picks in the 2nd, though. Credit where credit is due.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Right idea, wrong player, basically. What's annoying is that there were big C's available who look to be decent such as Edstron, Ritchie, Wahlberg, and one or two others. I did like the Kumpulainen and Heidt picks in the 2nd, though. Credit where credit is due.
On that, I think that was Brackett's influence. When hired, Brackett was known to heavily favor NCAA kids.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Prove they didn't.

I mean, sure, if we would've picked somebody that didn't have a wildly disappointing D+1 year, I agree that there would be more excitement/optimism about the pick. I feel like that's pretty non-controversial.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They had Khusnutdinov and Ohgren at center. You also had Bankier, Lorenz, and Haight. I know Khusnutdinov, Haight and Ohgren are smaller than Stramel, but they all pretty much line up as middle 6 guys. Like there are a ton of centers right now for Minnesota, which isn't a bad thing. They also doubled down by picking Kumps and then Heidt.
I don't think Ohgren and Lorenz were centers when picked, or since.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Prove they didn't.

Because they already moved up? Because they didn't try to move up in the 2nd round pick. Nothing has come out that said Minnesota tried to move up in the 2nd or again in the first that season.

I don't think Ohgren and Lorenz were centers when picked, or since.

Lorenz seems like a great third-line center

Position: Centre

He can play center, he can play wing. Just depends on where the Wild want to play him.

He’s a versatile player who can play center but is better off at wing.

I honestly thought that Ohgren played sometime at center, but no worries. They still had Lorenz (if they wanted), Haight, Bankier, and Khusnutdinov.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Because they already moved up? Because they didn't try to move up in the 2nd round pick. Nothing has come out that said Minnesota tried to move up in the 2nd or again in the first that season.
Absence of information isn't proof.

Maybe they felt that a 5'8" CHLer that played 6 games in his draft year might just fall to them in the 2nd? Remember that 2021 was set to be a crazy draft due to lack of information/ability to scout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad