2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Thoughts on Chernyshov? RHS PWF. Feels like he would be a good fit if Brackett believes in the talent

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Thoughts on Chernyshov? RHS PWF. Feels like he would be a good fit if Brackett believes in the talent
I would like to pick him in the #20-32 range. I would be a little upset if they picked him at #13. I think there are more than 13 more interesting, if not better, players than Chernyshov. I do need to say this though, watching him skate is something I could do all day.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
chernyshov seems comparable to sharangovich, while we need D i wouldn't mind drafting him. if russo is on to something we could trade down 5-7 spots if & only if we received a 2nd then draft elick or solberg or chernyshov. use both 2nds to add D. works for me if no stud D available at 13.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
chernyshov seems comparable to sharangovich, while we need D i wouldn't mind drafting him. if russo is on to something we could trade down 5-7 spots if & only if we received a 2nd then draft elick or solberg or chernyshov. use both 2nds to add D. works for me if no stud D available at 13.
I like this, though my pecking order would be Solberg>Chernyshov>Elick

Kleber around 45 would be pretty solid. 6’5” 209lbs. Not going to wow you with offense, but really solid otherwise.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We have a pretty deep prospect pool, although we are lacking in high end talent now that Faber, Boldy, and Rossi(?) have graduated into the NHL. I'm not too thrilled about trading back from #13 to #20 or so in order to get another 2nd rounder, but it really depends on who is around at #13.

What if a team like Utah, which has 10 2nd rounders in the next three years, offers us 2 2024 2nds, 1 2025 2nd, and 1 2026 2nd for our 13th? Utah would probably be happy to pay that.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We have a pretty deep prospect pool, although we are lacking in high end talent now that Faber, Boldy, and Rossi(?) have graduated into the NHL. I'm not too thrilled about trading back from #13 to #20 or so in order to get another 2nd rounder, but it really depends on who is around at #13.

What if a team like Utah, which has 10 2nd rounders in the next three years, offers us 2 2024 2nds, 1 2025 2nd, and 1 2026 2nd for our 13th? Utah would probably be happy to pay that.

I would not be interested in that. As you said, we're deep but lacking in high end talent. You don't win anything worth winning without high end talent.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

Agreed that our chances are more likely that you get a difference maker at 13, than the multiple 2nds. Especially with people saying this class is 12-15 deep.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I would also prefer to keep #13 in most scenarios unless the draft breaks funny. I sure would love to trade some late picks for another 2nd or 3rd though, I think there are some interesting shots that will still be around in that range.

I would be curious to see how this draft stacks up in terms of size historically, from my limited view it seems like a significantly larger pool of big guys than we have seen recently. When you consider that this class was among those most harshly affected by Covid shutdowns, and the later development path for most of the bigger players, it feels like this draft could be a sleeper dream.

Reactions: Sweetnut

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
With the rise that Sennecke seems to be getting in the rankings, is this draft now 13 deep? :thumbu:

Levshunov
Silayev
Dickinson
Parekh
Yakemchuk
Buium

Celebrini
Lindstrom
Demidov
Catton
Helenius
Iginla
Sennecke

MBN
Eiserman

Throw in one team at least doing something different, and we have a chance of having at least a forward with top 6 upside, or a Dman with top 3. I can live with that. I can even live with MBN...not sure at all about Eiserman. Is he getting underrated, properly rated, or will he drop even further?

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
With the rise that Sennecke seems to be getting in the rankings, is this draft now 13 deep? :thumbu:

Levshunov
Silayev
Dickinson
Parekh
Yakemchuk
Buium

Celebrini
Lindstrom
Demidov
Catton
Helenius
Iginla
Sennecke

MBN
Eiserman

Throw in one team at least doing something different, and we have a chance of having at least a forward with top 6 upside, or a Dman with top 3. I can live with that. I can even live with MBN...not sure at all about Eiserman. Is he getting underrated, properly rated, or will he drop even further?
I think so. The more I read/watch, the more I like Chernyshov. I think Connelly goes higher than we think too - his skill is going to prove too tempting. I’m a sucker for potential and think his shtick is unlikely to continue in the pros where he will be surrounded by professionals.

I think Catton, Dickinson, Buium & Yakemchuk would be worth moving up for if they slip past 7 or 8 and a team is willing to deal.

This draftclass has been an absolute treat to follow. Razor thin margins after Celebrini and so many intriguing prospects with unique skillsets.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Parekh seems like a high end Addison. Very smart and polished offensively, but pays lip service to defense. Not a guy like Dumba who is very enthusiastic, but makes mistakes because of overagressiveness and flat out bad reads. It's more like he is an actor playing the part of a Defenseman defending, but his heart isn't really in it, unless he thinks he can steal the puck and go on offense.

He's better than Addison offensively, and bigger. Both are agile skaters, who can use their edges to escape, or give them better passing or shooting angles. Addison isn't really very fast in a straight line, and I would say the same for Parekh.

I would rank him last of the top 6 Dmen in this draft, even though there is the possibility that he turns into the next Housley. Would I take him at #13? Over Eiserman, yeah. Helenius? Coin flip. Sennecke? Oof... don't ask me those questions. I would take the other 5 dmen, Cele, Demi, Catton, Lindstrom, and Iginla over him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Parekh seems like a high end Addison. Very smart and polished offensively, but pays lip service to defense. Not a guy like Dumba who is very enthusiastic, but makes mistakes because of overagressiveness and flat out bad reads. It's more like he is an actor playing the part of a Defenseman defending, but his heart isn't really in it, unless he thinks he can steal the puck and go on offense.

He's better than Addison offensively, and bigger. Both are agile skaters, who can use their edges to escape, or give them better passing or shooting angles. Addison isn't really very fast in a straight line, and I would say the same for Parekh.

I would rank him last of the top 6 Dmen in this draft, even though there is the possibility that he turns into the next Housley. Would I take him at #13? Over Eiserman, yeah. Helenius? Coin flip. Sennecke? Oof... don't ask me those questions. I would take the other 5 dmen, Cele, Demi, Catton, Lindstrom, and Iginla over him.

I don't trust the Wild scouts at all when it comes to d-men. It's been over a decade since they drafted a d-man that has played more than few games. Only 2 Wild drafted d-men (Hunt 12 games, and Belpedio 16 games) have seen any NHL action since the 2013 (Soucy/Olofsson) draft class.

Long gone are the Scandella, Leddy, Brodin, Dumba, Soucy, etc. draft guys that evaluated d-men.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Looks like a real smörgåsbord of defenders this year. We can't really go wrong with any of them seems to be the the general idea out there, since all of them have some good qualities and also many flaws. Roll the dice is my advice.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't trust the Wild scouts at all when it comes to d-men. It's been over a decade since they drafted a d-man that has played more than few games. Only 2 Wild drafted d-men (Hunt 12 games, and Belpedio 16 games) have seen any NHL action since the 2013 (Soucy/Olofsson) draft class.

Long gone are the Scandella, Leddy, Brodin, Dumba, Soucy, etc. draft guys that evaluated d-men.
Hard to hit on a dman when you didn’t really pick any in the first two rounds from 2014 through 2019. The one they did pick was a pretty heavy reach in Filip Johansson. That’s six drafts and 8 total selections that were non-defense in the first two rounds.

2014: could have picked DeAngelo instead of Tuch. I think they made the right choice.

2015: Juulsen and J. Larsson were the first two D after Ek. Barf.
Dunn was taken shortly after Greenway. That’s a definite miss.

2016: Chychrun was the guy immediately taken after Kunin. That’s a miss.

2017: No 1st or 2nd round pick

2018: Bernard-Docker, Sandin and Samuelsson all taken shortly after Johansson. That’s a definite miss.

2019. Cam York was the guy right after Boldy. Give me Boldy for sure. Harley was #18. Still prefer Bolds.
Alex Vlasic was the first pick after Firstov. That’s a miss.
No dman immediately after Jones stands out.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hard to hit on a dman when you didn’t really pick any in the first two rounds from 2014 through 2019. The one they did pick was a pretty heavy reach in Filip Johansson. That’s six drafts and 8 total selections that were non-defense.

2014: could have picked DeAngelo instead of Tuch. I think they made the right choice.

2015: Juulsen and J. Larsson were the first two D after Ek.
Dunn was taken shortly after Greenway. That’s a definite miss.

2016: Chychrun was the guy immediately taken after Kunin. That’s a miss.

2017: No 1st or 2nd round pick

2018: Bernard-Docker, Sandin and Samuelsson all taken shortly after Johansson. That’s a definite miss.

2019. Cam York was the guy right after Boldy. Give me Boldy for sure. Harley was #18. Still prefer Bolds.
Alex Vlasic was the first pick after Firstov. That’s a miss.
No dman immediately after Jones stands out.

They also took ROR (and Marat K) over Faber.

Soucy and Seeler were 5th round pick d-men that turned into NHL players pushing 300 games. Falk was a 4th rounder a few years before that. So it's not just they used high draft picks on d-men in years past, they also found some in the later rounds.

They've completely missed on 1st with FJ and Lambos isn't looking much better as another 1st.

Addison turned out to be a nothing burger (on GMBG's, not the scouts).

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
They also took ROR (and Marat K) over Faber.

Soucy and Seeler were 5th round pick d-men that turned into NHL players pushing 300 games. Falk was a 4th rounder a few years before that. So it's not just they used high draft picks on d-men in years past, they also found some in the later rounds.

They've completely missed on 1st with FJ and Lambos isn't looking much better as another 1st.

Addison turned out to be a nothing burger (on GMBG's, not the scouts).
That was the 2020 draft. I didn't include the 2020 to more recent drafts because I think it's unreasonable to expect late 1st round and 2nd round (and beyond) dmen to be top 4 NHL guys in the 18-22 year old age range. There are some exceptions (Faber).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That was the 2020 draft. I didn't include the 2020 to more recent drafts because I think it's unreasonable to expect late 1st round and 2nd round (and beyond) dmen to be top 4 NHL guys in the 18-22 year old age range. There are some exceptions (Faber).

I'd agree a bit if Faber didn't stand out from that; and ROR, Hunt, and Lambos gave me something to look forward to as far as NHL good futures. Lots of wasted recent draft capitol spent on the same d-man.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'd agree a bit if Faber didn't stand out from that; and ROR, Hunt, and Lambos gave me something to look forward to as far as NHL good futures. Lots of wasted recent draft capitol spent on the same d-man.
Faber didn't look like a future top pairing dman until the start of this year. Tough to fault the scouting team on this one.

I think there's potential in a guy like Peart. Maybe the problem is we shouldn't pick junior dmen because they don't learn proper defense at that level and our AHL team has shown zero ability to develop.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Faber didn't look like a future top pairing dman until the start of this year. Tough to fault the scouting team on this one.

I think there's potential in a guy like Peart. Maybe the problem is we shouldn't pick junior dmen because they don't learn proper defense at that level and our AHL team has shown zero ability to develop.

I've said that for years. It's not just d-men though it's FWDs too. They are either NHL ready at the draft, or they waste 2 years being stuck in the (high end) high school quality league that is the CHL. It just ends up stunting their development.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I've said that for years. It's not just d-men though it's FWDs too. They are either NHL ready at the draft, or they waste 2 years being stuck in the (high end) high school quality league that is the CHL. It just ends up stunting their development.
I mean, at the very least, the plurality of talent comes out of the CHL. It would be pretty bad to not draft out of there just because our scouting department hasn't taken many of the good ones. Maybe we need better scouts scouting the CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad