2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
My only issue with Brandsegg-Nygard is his skating. He takes a couple steps to get going, and his agility when he needs to change direction in a hurry is extremely lacking from what I've seen. Straight line speed, once he's already moving, is fine. I love the rest of his game, too - it's just an honest, straightforward game, he plays hard in all three zones, moves the puck around without fanfare, and has a blistering shot. If he can work on his edges and acceleration he's going to be very good. His ability to keep things both simple and effective at the same time will play well in the NHL.

I like this draft, actually. There really aren't any safe players, but I think multiple players available at 13 will have some seriously intriguing skills to go along with their flaws. It's going to make some of them miss completely, but the ones that hit might be REALLY good.
But we have the Ness’

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My only issue with Brandsegg-Nygard is his skating. He takes a couple steps to get going, and his agility when he needs to change direction in a hurry is extremely lacking from what I've seen. Straight line speed, once he's already moving, is fine. I love the rest of his game, too - it's just an honest, straightforward game, he plays hard in all three zones, moves the puck around without fanfare, and has a blistering shot. If he can work on his edges and acceleration he's going to be very good. His ability to keep things both simple and effective at the same time will play well in the NHL.

I like this draft, actually. There really aren't any safe players, but I think multiple players available at 13 will have some seriously intriguing skills to go along with their flaws. It's going to make some of them miss completely, but the ones that hit might be REALLY good.
I think MBN's skating will be fine once he adds some muscle. Remember, Tuch was considered a bit heavy footed when he was young, then blossomed into one of the faster players in the league once he matured.

100%. I wonder if we will regret passing on Eiserman/Sennecke at 13%. Both might be great, for different reasons. i guess you can add jiricek to the list, but there's not much you can do about a prospect who is injured all year

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

It definitely does feel like a hit or miss draft. Which isn't my cup of tea but it does make it interesting

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

From Pronman and Wheeler:

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Dickinson
5. Demidov
6. Lindstrom
7. Buium
8. Parekh
9. Iginla
10. Sennecke
11. Yakemchuk
12. Catton
13. Eiserman
14. Solberg
15. Helenius

Pick 13:
13. Minnesota Wild (Pick by Wheeler): Cole Eiserman, LW, U.S. NTDP

The Wild would likely strongly consider the natural center in Konsta Helenius here, but they already have a similar player in Marco Rossi and elect to swing on Eiserman’s one-shot scoring talent instead.

Pick 45:
45. Minnesota Wild (Pick by Wheeler): Andrew Basha, LW, Medicine Hat

The Wild went to the WHL in the second round when they drafted Riley Heidt last year and they go back there to grab the competitive and skilled Basha.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

From Pronman and Wheeler:

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Dickinson
5. Demidov
6. Lindstrom
7. Buium
8. Parekh
9. Iginla
10. Sennecke
11. Yakemchuk
12. Catton
13. Eiserman
14. Solberg
15. Helenius

Pick 13:

Pick 45:
Catton going 12 stings (for me), but I'd consider that a fine first 2 rounds.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Catton going 12 stings (for me), but I'd consider that a fine first 2 rounds.
I can't remember if it was Locked On NHL Prospects or someone else, but I heard that Catton plays a ridiculous amount of minutes and that's why his stats are so high. Curious if anyone can corroborate that or not.

I'm nitpicking a little bit, but I would like at least one of our picks to be right handed (wing or defense).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I can't remember if it was Locked On NHL Prospects or someone else, but I heard that Catton plays a ridiculous amount of minutes and that's why his stats are so high. Curious if anyone can corroborate that or not.

I'm nitpicking a little bit, but I would like at least one of our picks to be right handed (wing or defense).
Yeah, looking at that list again, I'd definitely go Helenius over Eiserman.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

For me, ideally, we'd have one RHD, and one forward in our first two picks. Having said that, I want BPA, wherever we pick. If they pick two LH wings, but are the BPA at that spot, then i'm good with it.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah, looking at that list again, I'd definitely go Helenius over Eiserman.
I think I'm good with that too. Lower ceiling, but higher floor for Helenius. Plus this team could use some Finnish players on it :D
For me, ideally, we'd have one RHD, and one forward in our first two picks. Having said that, I want BPA, wherever we pick. If they pick two LH wings, but are the BPA at that spot, then i'm good with it.
I've seen Basha as a pick in the 20s of the 1st round. Getting him at 45 would be a steal. Similar to Heidt last year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The more I see of Parekh, the more I wonder how his game will transfer to the pros. It's not that he is bad at D, just that he plays more like a rover. He is by no means strong, and has an upright skating style that needs work. I know he has scored a freaky amount of points for a Dman, but it's partly because the team uses him in a unique way, having forwards cover for him when he jumps into the play. I wonder if a NHL team would be willing to do that... probably not.

Seems like a poor man's Quinn Hughes, at this point.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
The more I see of Parekh, the more I wonder how his game will transfer to the pros. It's not that he is bad at D, just that he plays more like a rover. He is by no means strong, and has an upright skating style that needs work. I know he has scored a freaky amount of points for a Dman, but it's partly because the team uses him in a unique way, having forwards cover for him when he jumps into the play. I wonder if a NHL team would be willing to do that... probably not.

Seems like a poor man's Quinn Hughes, at this point.
I’d let some other team take that risk.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
nvm, BG, i am starting to really like Sam O'Reilly as our 2nd pick. Just was named 1st star of the game in the Memorial Cup with a goal and assist. Decent size at 6'1", tough, skates well, is more of a PK than PP guy, but definitely has some skill. Reminds me of a Hartman a bit. Maybe not as much of a hothead, but he plays with an edge.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Do tell.

Good size, late birthday, good numbers, right-shot, natural center. I'm not deep-diving tape any of these guys so what's the deal on the hate?
Sorry for just now getting back to this. I can’t say I’ve seen him outside of highlights and scouting reports. No question he’s a good skater with good skill and size. I think the compete is a big question mark and the consistency in all areas of the game make it seem like he’s actually more likely a winger. Pronman has likened him to Jordan Kyrou and Richard Rakell. Not saying that would be a bad pick, but just disputing the natural center thing. Just from what I’ve seen I think he’s more of a 20s kinda guy.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think MBN's skating will be fine once he adds some muscle. Remember, Tuch was considered a bit heavy footed when he was young, then blossomed into one of the faster players in the league once he matured.

100%. I wonder if we will regret passing on Eiserman/Sennecke at 13%. Both might be great, for different reasons. i guess you can add jiricek to the list, but there's not much you can do about a prospect who is injured all year
Tuch did completely change his skating stride though. Not saying MBN can’t become an excellent skater but Tuch’s progression is pretty anamalous. Most players don’t improve their skating that significantly.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Another name to throw out there, not sure if its been discussed already - Stian Solberg.

He is rising fast, ranked #15 by Button, #12 by Pronman, and likely in top 20s for a few other rankings that haven't yet posted their final rankings after his WC performance.

I really wanted to like Jiricek but he's just too raw - Solberg seems to be a slight worse skating but barely and looks to be a more complete package, better defensive coverage, mobile, physical, moves puck well and will be 6-3 210 in 3 years. He just looks to be a very balanced prospect with skill vs. the high risk options in Parekh or Jiricek, and that might appeal to some teams. He might jump like Simashev did last year (who jump from average rank of #22 to being picked #6.

And teams love a fast riser. He might over take Jiricek for me by the time I finish my rankings putting him in the #15-ish range. Just food for thought, haven't made my own mind yet.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Was a report out of the Worlds that Guerin called both MBN and Solberg. Does it mean anything or do they call every prospect they're interested in?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
1717122477931.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad