2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watching the Scouching community mock draft and Catton was taken at 7.

He then put into words exactly what happened with Benson in regards to Catton.

“He won’t go this high IRL…but he should. Everyone loves Catton but everyone finds a reason not to take him”.

Jerry Forton watching teams find reasons to not take the BPA:

View attachment 885824

Not thrilled with Yakemchuk and Kiviharju as the picks but whatever.

Reactions: Fjordy

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not thrilled with Yakemchuk and Kiviharju as the picks but whatever.
Whats the negative part of Tij's game? I know he was a bit of a riser on boards, but the bit I've seen of him he's been just about the best player on the ice.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Yakemchuk is on the lower end of people I want at 11. But I’m fine with it. Eiserman is the only person in the range I strongly wouldn’t be….but not the only one I’d kind of just…well…I’d be one of the people saying you should have traded the pick if I hear a couple other names I’ll just leave it at that.

If Iginla or Sennecke are there despite where they’re being slotted now? Awesome.

If Catton falls from where he should? Awesome.

People don’t seem overly excited about Helenius but I’m all for it. Compete and Hockey IQ all day every draft please.

Would be fine with Luchanko too tbh

MBN - absolutely

All those above Yakemchuk but I’m fine if they take him. After that it’s guys I’m less into

Not nearly as interested in Greentree. Really don’t want Eiserman. Don’t want to be in the Jiricek business. I find Chernyshov more interesting than all three of those…picking him would be a real wow moment for me though.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Yakemchuk is on the lower end of people I want at 11. But I’m fine with it. Eiserman is the only person in the range I strongly wouldn’t be….but not the only one I’d kind of just…well…I’d be one of the people saying you should have traded the pick if I hear a couple other names I’ll just leave it at that.

If Iginla or Sennecke are there despite where they’re being slotted now? Awesome.

If Catton falls from where he should? Awesome.

People don’t seem overly excited about Helenius but I’m all for it. Compete and Hockey IQ all day every draft please.

Would be fine with Luchanko too tbh

MBN - absolutely

All those above Yakemchuk but I’m fine if they take him. After that it’s guys I’m less into

Not nearly as interested in Greentree. Really don’t want Eiserman. Don’t want to be in the Jiricek business. I find Chernyshov more interesting than all three of those…picking him would be a real wow moment for me though.
Solberg.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If we walk out of the draft with another highly picked left d it will be because someone unexpected fell a very long way. I can not see any scenario where they take the 4th highest rated left d at pick 11 to put behind two first overall picks and a guy they just made a big trade for…all of whom are incredibly young.

There’s no scenario where he is arguably the BPA in my opinion. Unless they trade down and he’s all that’s left. But at 11? You will never convince me to take him over MBN or Helenius or Luchanko…never mind whichever of Catton/Senneke/Iginla almost has to fall. If none do…a better LHD did.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If we walk out of the draft with another highly picked left d it will be because someone unexpected fell a very long way. I can not see any scenario where they take the 4th highest rated left d at pick 11 to put behind two first overall picks and a guy they just made a big trade for…all of whom are incredibly young.

There’s no scenario where he is arguably the BPA in my opinion. Unless they trade down and he’s all that’s left. But at 11? You will never convince me to take him over MBN or Helenius or Luchanko…never mind whichever of Catton/Senneke/Iginla almost has to fall. If none do…a better LHD did.
#1) I think he’s the third best LHD. Better than Dickinson. I know I’m on an island, but that’s were I’m at.
#2) I don’t take him over Catton or Iginla. I like him better than everyone else you mentioned, although MBN, Senneke, and Helenius are all in the same bucket for me with Solberg. As is Dickinson. I don’t see a lot of separation here. They are all B+ prospects, none of these guys are super high end, can’t miss prospects. So for me, I take the guy with the greatest concentration of attributes that the org is low on. That’s easily Solberg for me.
#3) I don’t expect Bryram to be here in 3-4 years. So the logjam at LHD is behind one who plays better on his right side, a legit top pairing LHD, and a 3rd pairing D who can’t stay healthy.
#4) The roster has a wealth of high end D. The prospect pool does not. With the possible exception of MBN, all of these guys are 3 years away.
#5) Nearly every player who is most notable for making lots of big hits does so at the expense of playing actual defense. Solberg is rare in that despite being known for putting guys on their ass, he almost never takes himself out of the play to do so. Of all the players in this tier, he has the highest ceiling to me. With a solid floor.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'd rather take Yak over Catton. At worse with Yak you have a 4/5 offensive D that enjoys taking runs at opposing players, if he smooths out his skating ie improves pivots etc than he has a legit shot at being that 2/3 20+ minute a night D.
How many D does one organization need to draft that don’t know how to play defense? It’s an epidemic.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
How many D does one organization need to draft that don’t know how to play defense? It’s an epidemic.
This is where I'm at. The processor and skating concerns raise make me a little too nervous. There's plenty of big boy RD candidates that can be found in later rounds: Emery, Elick, Kleber, Roberts.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We all agree that Yakemchuk isn’t on the top of the list but in no way could I ever be more angry with it than Eiserman. Eiserman has one tool in his bag. If it doesn’t work because he’s deficient everywhere else…you have nothing. Yakemchuk can fail and he’s still a 6’3 RHD. Half the league will overpay for him no matter what happens. They literally had to tell teams that a first rounder below 14 OA wasn’t going to be enough to Ristolainen. There’s less risk baked in to Yakemchuk as an asset. And if he does pan out…our best RHD is a guy no one believes will even be on this roster sooner or later.

I’d rather take bangers and defense first guys later too. But if they take Yakemchuk I’d get it and be fine with it

Reactions: Faceboner

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
We all agree that Yakemchuk isn’t on the top of the list but in no way could I ever be more angry with it than Eiserman. Eiserman has one tool in his bag. If it doesn’t work because he’s deficient everywhere else…you have nothing. Yakemchuk can fail and he’s still a 6’3 RHD. Half the league will overpay for him no matter what happens. They literally had to tell teams that a first rounder below 14 OA wasn’t going to be enough to Ristolainen. There’s less risk baked in to Yakemchuk as an asset. And if he does pan out…our best RHD is a guy no one believes will even be on this roster sooner or later.

I’d rather take bangers and defense first guys later too. But if they take Yakemchuk I’d get it and be fine with it
This should really be a universal sentiment for us.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I don't see that at all. He makes errors of commission, attacking because Calgary is shit. He tracks and positions well, his issue is defending against the rush as he's too stiff in his pivots and back skating which a good skating coach can help with.

Conversely, how many undersized offense first wingers ala Catton does this team need?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Fun story - one time when Eiserman’s brother, Shane, was playing against BU, I had a seat mate who started talking trash about Shane. Come to find out the dad was sitting one row away with the family. The dad proceeded to announce that he was a cop and challenged my seat mate to a fight.
that was me and I regret nothing..

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don't see that at all. He makes errors of commission, attacking because Calgary is shit. He tracks and positions well, his issue is defending against the rush as he's too stiff in his pivots and back skating which a good skating coach can help with.

Conversely, how many undersized offense first wingers ala Catton does this team need?
It’s a fair point. But I get Bode Wilde vibes from Yak. On the other hand, we don’t have many undersized offense first wingers actually on the team. People complaining we keep drafting the same players are overestimating their likelihood of making the team.

I also want some jam, but until the TEAM literally has too many top six forwards, I’m not against looking for more in the draft. There’s a plausible scenario where none of Ostlund, Rosen, Kulich or Savoie ever become even 2nd line forwards. I think Catton is better than all 4 of them.

But I do see the problem in drafting yet another player that can’t fail to the 4th line. I just don’t like how much Yak forces the play. I know he’s trying to carry the team, but is that style of play fixable? I don’t know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad