2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I wonder how Eiserman does with some of the stuff that the analytics team looks at for draftees...

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I wonder how Eiserman does with some of the stuff that the analytics team looks at for draftees...
Just pass

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

If this happened I’m guessing Iginla would get the most support at 11. So let’s change it up. Pretend Iginla goes at 10 here. Who are you taking at 11?

So it would go

Celebrini
Levshunov
Silayev
Lindstrom
Demidov
Sennecke
Dickinson
Buium
Parekh
Iginla

Then we are on the clock

I’m on Catton

If it got to pick 7 with Dickinson, buium, and iginla on the board and didn't get one I'd be bummed
I said I feel confident Jerry dislikes the same guys I do.
I feel confident he dislikes Eiserman.
Of course I could be wrong, but dang, I hope not.
They seem to have an affinity for guys who have a scoring touch / get a high % of points from goals. Wahlberg, Kulich, Neuchev, Rosen, Quinn, Kisakov, Poltapov, Peterka, all fit this mold. Obviously we drafted guys that don't fit that mold, and I don't think they'd pick someone just because they are a goal scorer if they don't check other boxes, but to me it seems to be a trait that the Sabres value.

Reactions: HOOats

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
giphy.gif
If they can replace Mitts, add grit, or a top 4 physical/experienced D I'm willing to let it go along with a prospect or two.

Andiamo

Apr 24, 2020

Fun story - one time when Eiserman’s brother, Shane, was playing against BU, I had a seat mate who started talking trash about Shane. Come to find out the dad was sitting one row away with the family. The dad proceeded to announce that he was a cop and challenged my seat mate to a fight.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If they can replace Mitts, add grit, or a top 4 physical/experienced D I'm willing to let it go along with a prospect or two.
I didn't really understand what Mitts had to do with it, it was just my reaction to Eiserman's specific choice.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Eliasson has that sort of killer in him that they could use in their d-pipeline to build on the Strbak/McCarthy vein though at that pick, maybe early. I like the later round stuff a lot. Kol is another big, rangy, 2-way d-man. Avramov has some interesting scouting stuff in the public space and good size, Marques that far down seems like a solid gamble boom-or-bust guy. Heh, a mock I don't totally hate.

Catton, while obviously talented, would be tough for me to get excited about at 11 with what we already have in the pipeline, though. Too much of the same kind of player.

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Catton, while obviously talented, would be tough for me to get excited about at 11 with what we already have in the pipeline, though. Too much of the same kind of player.
We could trade one of them, and Adams from what I've seen usually goes for the guy with the highest ceiling, and I think Catton seems like that guy. I wouldn't mind if it was Helenius or MBN though. I'll be fine with any of them.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think this depends on whether you see Catton as a creative winger in the NHL, or as a high IQ center that can both play with pace and create space and distribute the puck.

If he projects out as a winger, I agree, but if you see him as a center, then I think he absolutely fills a hole in the prospect pool. "Is he a center or a wing?" really is the question.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think this depends on whether you see Catton as a creative winger in the NHL, or as a high IQ center that can both play with pace and create space and distribute the puck.

If he projects out as a winger, I agree, but if you see him as a center, then I think he absolutely fills a hole in the prospect pool. "Is he a center or a wing?" really is the question.
Even if he’s a winger…his game isn’t like Benson. Or Kulich. Or Rosen. Ostlund is a center.

But he’s small. And that’s all anyone ever means when they say too many players of the same type.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
He probably rates insanely well in their models that consider age and production. Like top 5.
If it got to pick 7 with Dickinson, buium, and iginla on the board and didn't get one I'd be bummed

They seem to have an affinity for guys who have a scoring touch / get a high % of points from goals. Wahlberg, Kulich, Neuchev, Rosen, Quinn, Kisakov, Poltapov, Peterka, all fit this mold. Obviously we drafted guys that don't fit that mold, and I don't think they'd pick someone just because they are a goal scorer if they don't check other boxes, but to me it seems to be a trait that the Sabres value.
Goals are very valuable indeed, some would say the most valuable. I hope goals continue to be a trait that our FO chases.
Fun story - one time when Eiserman’s brother, Shane, was playing against BU, I had a seat mate who started talking trash about Shane. Come to find out the dad was sitting one row away with the family. The dad proceeded to announce that he was a cop and challenged my seat mate to a fight.
Fun story. Makes me more intrigued to draft him.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Even if he’s a winger…his game isn’t like Benson. Or Kulich. Or Rosen. Ostlund is a center.

But he’s small. And that’s all anyone ever means when they say too many players of the same type.
No it isn't. Some posters may think that, but that's not what ALL ANYONE thinks when they say that. None of our prospects play a north-south heavy game, or have the ability (or yes, size) to be a heavy forechecker and command the puck around the boards (except maybe Wahlberg, but he's not on the list when most here are discussing the "top prospects").

Catton falls into the "same category" as a non-big, physical, forechecking puck hound on the boards. The same category that successful playoff teams have enough of, and Buffalo doesn't. Catton may well end up being the BPA when Buffalo picks, but you're wrong when trying to lump everyone else's skeptical thoughts about Catton into just "size".

Last edited:
Reactions: Irie and Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He probably rates insanely well in their models that consider age and production. Like top 5.
In the article, they talk about stats like puck battles, as well. That was one area that had them really high on Benson.

They seem to have evolved beyond just age and production.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
In the article, they talk about stats like puck battles, as well. That was one area that had them really high on Benson.

They seem to have evolved beyond just age and production.
Also those things really determine translatably

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I understand but do we have any true centers in the "pipeline" ? I mean they have been trying to play guys at center, whether or not that's going to work long term is of high debate.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Watching the Scouching community mock draft and Catton was taken at 7.

He then put into words exactly what happened with Benson in regards to Catton.

“He won’t go this high IRL…but he should. Everyone loves Catton but everyone finds a reason not to take him”.

Jerry Forton watching teams find reasons to not take the BPA:

IMG_0951.png

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
What do you think ONG of the opinion that Savoie's stock isn't as high around the league as some would think ?
Undersized, injury history, questions whether he's a C or W means no one would flip a top 10 pick for him. He'd be the top prospect in half the team's pools so he has value, just not enough to have GMs salivating over him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad