2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
It’s a fair point. But I get Bode Wilde vibes from Yak. On the other hand, we don’t have many undersized offense first wingers actually on the team. People complaining we keep drafting the same players are overestimating their likelihood of making the team.

I also want some jam, but until the TEAM literally has too many top six forwards, I’m not against looking for more in the draft. There’s a plausible scenario where none of Ostlund, Rosen, Kulich or Savoie ever become even 2nd line forwards. I think Catton is better than all 4 of them.

But I do see the problem in drafting yet another player that can’t fail to the 4th line. I just don’t like how much Yak forces the play. I know he’s trying to carry the team, but is that style of play fixable? I don’t know.
That's why Yakemchuk might be available at 11, otherwise a mean, good sized RHD, that scores like he does wouldn't ever fall past 5. It would be been great to have sat in on the meetings with him, as I'm sure they'd breakdown his reasoning and how he can improve

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I haven't even looked at the prospects once this year. I don't want a selection. Jettison it to the highest bidder and move on.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I might get cold taked in a few years but I think someone is going to take him right before buium and whatever team that is will be memed with screenshots of the draft order for quite some time.

Possibly. Or he EK's all over everyone, making people in the future wonder why he fell.

His offensive toolset is amazing. I'm still not sold on his ability to defend. He's not QHughes, even if people do the "plays like" comp with him. I don't see the same defensive detail right now. *shrug*

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Possibly as it should always be who's going to be the best player in 5yrs not right now
That's the type of thing that's very difficult to assess from home. You need to talk to coaches and do research on family, stuff like that. That's why I always put so much weight on the opinions of scouts who are at the rinks watching in-person and talking to people around the game, as opposed to the Will Scoutch's of the world.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
That's the type of thing that's very difficult to assess from home. You need to talk to coaches and do research on family, stuff like that. That's why I always put so much weight on the opinions of scouts who are at the rinks watching in-person and talking to people around the game, as opposed to the Will Scoutch's of the world.
That's why good scouts are worth their weight in gold. It's also why I like Fortran's approach in taking guys trending up with room to grow vice a finished product.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
I don't know. I think you can find plenty of misses from both sides of the scouting world. What matters to me is what arguments they are making and what kind of data they are using to back it up.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I don't know. I think you can find plenty of misses from both sides of the scouting world. What matters to me is what arguments they are making and what kind of data they are using to back it up.
I wonder to what extent the analytics and traditional stuff overlap now. I imagine it's not much. and I don't mean seeing if they align, but if there are quantitative methods to find trends in the qualitative data. Like maybe scout 1 routinely undervalues smaller players, or scout 2's read on hockey IQ isn't matching up what the prospect is showing down the road.

Does anyone know how NHL scouts are evaluated within organizations? For example, are they evaluating guys' feedback from 5 years ago or something on a routine basis, or what? Its such a critical piece of the puzzle, that seems to just fall under the GM's victories or failures. Watching some behind the scenes draft videos, the discussion sounds like typical HF members haha.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We're likely going to end up with Catton. That's my gut feeling.
If he is there…he is most likely going to be their highest ranked player on the board. If there isn’t a massive tier drop behind him though…I could see them not taking the best player on their board this time.

Of course…Adams knows the most important piece of information that we don’t about it. How close is he on a deal that moves out prospects? Harder to listen to complaints about drafting smaller players if one or two move out for different types of players that help now.

But I have a hard time believing say…Yakemchuk is above Catton on their list if they’re both there and they take Yakemchuk. I can believe it about some others. But those others would be the reason Catton fell in the first place.

Reactions: Fjordy

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Picks updated.

9sm0xt8il3sb1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad