GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah something significant needs to happen on D. The group we've got with NHL sweaters right now is maybe one of the worst in the NHL. As for Stevenson I'm all aboard the train to plug him in behind Chucky this season. Shepherd is a cool story and I'm a huge Bears fan but he's just not an NHL goalie. He's a poor man's Lindgren...a battler, scrambler and work ethic guy. Stevenson is a legit NHL prospect with the size, technique and athleticism to actually play at the top level. He's got two seasons as a starter in pro hockey now and at 25, it's go time. Goalies have short windows and very few play deep into their 30s(with success). So it's soon approaching the now or never window with him.
I don’t think their D core is one of the worst, simply bc Carlson and depth.

Carlson is woefully underrated in these parts. The guy basically carried us to the playoffs this year. It wasn’t anyone else (save Lindgren). Ovy helped, but it was JC74.

Dude is the man. And while he’s older….he’s got another 2-3 really good years in him.

The rest is meh to meh. Nothing really good, and nothing really bad. But overall?

Not one of the worst. How could it be? Lowest scoring team in NHL, and they made the playoffs? Their D is UNDERRATED, IMO.

But they have peaked, more or less. We need a young stud to add to it, as we’ve discussed.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I don’t think their D core is one of the worst, simply bc Carlson and depth.

Carlson is woefully underrated in these parts. The guy basically carried us to the playoffs this year. It wasn’t anyone else (save Lindgren). Ovy helped, but it was JC74.

Dude is the man. And while he’s older….he’s got another 2-3 really good years in him.

The rest is meh to meh. Nothing really good, and nothing really bad. But overall?

Not one of the worst. How could it be? Lowest scoring team in NHL, and they made the playoffs? Their D is UNDERRATED, IMO.

But they have peaked, more or less. We need a young stud to add to it, as we’ve discussed.
Hes been top 5 or better in Norris voting multiple times. Thats hard to do.
Also our team tanked last season when he got hurt and that wasnt by choice.

Getting both Mike Green and Carlson at the end of the 1st round was some nice drafting. I hope we find that magic again.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'm a fan of Mews myself. I don't think he's the guy to pick at 17 but I think he has the puck skills and offensive IQ that the Caps' blueline cupboard is missing. I will second Smith is another guy I like as a possible second round target. And in the middle rounds, Marcus Kearsey. The Caps have plenty of potential shutdown defenders in their pipeline but I believe they could use a little more offensive ability back there too. Would be nice to see them finesse their way into another late 1st or an extra 2nd

I will say, when I do my mock drafts with the Caps on the tool I posted above, I never take Finns to keep it realistic :laugh: . I'm not sure what your scouts have against them, but my Flyers were the same way for 15 years until very recently. Who was the last Finn the Caps drafted? Lepisto? Osala?

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
17. Washington Capitals: Adam Jiricek, RHD, HC Plzen. The Capitals have used six of their last eight picks in the draft’s first two rounds on forwards and haven’t taken a D in the first round since 2018. There’s a belief among those I’ve talked to that they’re going to target a D this year after taking Ryan Leonard and Andrew Cristall last year and Ivan Miroshnichenko the year prior. Because Leonard, Cristall and Miroshnichenko are all wingers, I’d also expect centers such as Hage and Jett Luchanko to be in the conversation here. But I think if a Solberg or Jiricek is here they’re more likely to go D than center....

52. Washington Capitals (via Vegas Golden Knights): Cole Hutson, LHD, U.S. NTDP. The Caps double down on D and follow up the Jiricek pick by being the team that steps to the plate on Hutson. They didn’t shy away from Cristall a year ago and Hutson would give their pool something on D that it has absolutely nothing of
That would be fine I think, as they do need quality blueliners in the system. I would not expect Hutson to slide that far after his brother paved the way for him but we'll see. Artamanov, Kiviharju, Shuravin and Yegorov were all still available.

Jiricek over Hage wouldn't be my pick regardless of the impact of adding PLD but I wouldn't be surprised if they bullishly bought into what Jiricek could have been last season if healthy. Still don't think he would have gone top ten but perhaps, perhaps he could have battled Yakemchuk as a steadier, more mobile alternative. I prefer Solberg to Jiricek due to physical play mostly but don't expect him to be available at 17. Barring a surprise or a trade up I don't doubt it does come down to a decision between Jiricek and Hage.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm a fan of Mews myself. I don't think he's the guy to pick at 17 but I think he has the puck skills and offensive IQ that the Caps' blueline cupboard is missing. I will second Smith is another guy I like as a possible second round target. And in the middle rounds, Marcus Kearsey. The Caps have plenty of potential shutdown defenders in their pipeline but I believe they could use a little more offensive ability back there too. Would be nice to see them finesse their way into another late 1st or an extra 2nd

I will say, when I do my mock drafts with the Caps on the tool I posted above, I never take Finns to keep it realistic :laugh: . I'm not sure what your scouts have against them, but my Flyers were the same way for 15 years until very recently. Who was the last Finn the Caps drafted? Lepisto? Osala?
I love Mews, I wouldn't be pissed if he went at 17. Somebody will have him graded as a late first and gobble him up before the second round. His rankings are all over the board. From early 20s to third round grades. If he somehow remains for round two I'd aggressively look to move up for him.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I don’t really see enough out of Jiricek that makes me want to select him over the crop of guys likely to be available in the 2nd. Grab one of the many 2nd rd grade defenders available with pick 52.

I’m more intrigued by Hage, Luchanko, or maybe even another winger like MBN or Greentree.

Should be able to select at least one of these guys in round 2: Smith, Shuravin, Mews, Hutson, Pulkkinen, Danford, Brunicke. Probably a few more… maybe even got some decent ones in the 3rd

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
By Mike Morreale. None of the names he lists are names I've heard regularly for the Caps. No idea if he's "good" at draft prognostication.

Washington Capitals

Top priority: Best available
First pick: No. 17
The situation: The Capitals lost to the Rangers in four games in the first round of the playoffs, marking the first time they were swept in a first-round series in their 49-season history. Coach Spencer Carbery did a nice job rallying his players to the second wild card in the East in his first season after Washington missed the playoffs in 2022-23 for the first time in nine seasons. The Capitals made 28 picks the past five years, and this season saw forward prospects Hendrix Lapierre (2020, No. 22) and Ivan Miroshnichenko (2022, No. 20) earn valuable NHL experience. Forwards Andrew Cristall (No. 40, 2023) and Ryan Leonard (No. 8, 2023), and defensemen Ryan Chesley (2022, No. 37) and Vincent Iorio (2021, No. 55), are considered the best prospects in the pipeline. The Capitals have eight picks, including three in the third round.

Possible fits:
Sacha Boisvert, C, Muskegon (USHL); Liam Greentree, RW, Windsor (OHL); Ryder Ritchie, RW Prince Albert (WHL)

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Greentree is an interesting candidate. Only thing is his skating is meh.
Based on what I just read about him, I like him. The Caps have shown an ability recently to help players improve their skating - Cristall as a recent obvious example - so I'd hope their lessons could help Greentree too. (Also based on what I read, I'd be surprised if he's available at 17.)

It sounds like with the quality of his current team he almost has to do and be everything himself. I'm assuming he can break any bad habits that develop as a result of that.

(Fwiw, I know next to nothing about draft prospects this year. Haven't watched them, and no longer have subscriptions to various news outlets that would break them down in detail.)

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I’ve seen the Greentree >> Jason Robertson comps and i think it holds up. Skating ugly but creates offense in ways that should translate

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Wasn't Wilson criticized about his skating his draft year? But yeah skating is the one thing that generally can be improved. Most the players at 17 are going to have some gremlins.

To go a step further, I believe this is a part of their organizational drafting strategy. Caps seem to think they can add .5 step to a player other teams can't.

Cristall seems to be a good case to watch - I haven't watched him much, but I've read he looks a bit more fleet.

(Also can't pass up mentioning ColdRush Hockey)

Reactions: DWGie26

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
To go a step further, I believe this is a part of their organizational drafting strategy. Caps seem to think they can add .5 step to a player other teams can't.

Cristall seems to be a good case to watch - I haven't watched him much, but I've read he looks a bit more fleet.

(Also can't pass up mentioning ColdRush Hockey)
That’s not what @Ridley Simon said after watching him live late in the season….

Any links to articles or mentions you can post? Seems like the kid’s biggest hurdle to overcome….

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That’s not what @Ridley Simon said after watching him live late in the season….

Any links to articles or mentions you can post? Seems like the kid’s biggest hurdle to overcome….
He didn’t look fast at all. As compared to other players on the ice (game against Everett Silvertips).

He also lost a bunch of puck battles.

He had a terrible game. As I said earlier — maybe it was just one?

But he wasn’t fast. Like at all.

He’s already wearing a Caps jersey, for the most part. So….it is the way

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He didn’t look fast at all. As compared to other players on the ice (game against Everett Silvertips).

He also lost a bunch of puck battles.

He had a terrible game. As I said earlier — maybe it was just one?

But he wasn’t fast. Like at all.

He’s already wearing a Caps jersey, for the most part. So….it is the way
Hah I was kinda wondering if their pattern was based on the Caps jersey watching the highlights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad