GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
No clue. It was the default sort but I'm not sure there is a "standard" ranking criteria that Bader uses. The two primary metrics are star probability and NHLer probability. Can probably weigh those as you see fit to come up with a more combined metric.
Oh come on Twabs!!

If YOU don’t know, then who in the hell can know? We didn’t bring you to these boards for your pants selections, obviously. WE count on YOU for this stuff!!

Get yer shit together man!

• Wow
Reactions: twabby

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would be looking at the Devils #10 pick and offer 17 + one of the goalies or TVR/Jensen. Im not sure they would take it but I can see them being interested

Reactions: wickedwitch

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I feel like TVR and Jensen are really over valued around here. I see them both as dime a dozen third pairing guys who can munch PK minutes effectively. Don't think either (or the goalies) are enough to move up 7 spots (into the top 10) of the NHL draft realistically. You're going to need to move a couple seconds along with #17 or a decent(Chesley-ish) prospect and #17 to get there.

Reactions: um and Rayquaza64

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like TVR and Jensen are really over valued around here. I see them both as dime a dozen third pairing guys who can munch PK minutes effectively. Don't think either (or the goalies) are enough to move up 7 spots (into the top 10) of the NHL draft realistically. You're going to need to move a couple seconds along with #17 or a decent(Chesley-ish) prospect and #17 to get there.
Agree…

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I agree with that’s probably the value to move up to 10. There is another rumor floating around Sabres looking to move 11.

And on nobody wanting our bad defenders and goalies, yeah that probably is right but last week I thought NHL GM’s had databases for contracts and didn’t rely on fan sites so what do I know?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

I kind of agree your point. TvR has minimal value, with his salary, as does Jensen, but less so. With Jensen it sucks because he has tanked his value recently. But it's silly to think that we've watched him have a terrible season and just think that other GM's have missed that.

Where i disagree is your valuation of Chesley. If the price to move up from #17 to #10 would be Chesley i'd drive him to the airport myself. He's a fine prospect that might even amount to something but that said, his value isn't any higher than that of Jensen's. And shouldn't really move the needle at all to move up. I'd wish though.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
17. Washington Capitals: Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, RW, Mora (SWEDEN-2) Brandsegg-Nygard doesn’t have as much natural offense as the Capitals’ 2023 first-round pick, Ryan Leonard, but like Leonard, he is a well-rounded winger as a great shooter who forechecks well, shows impressive detail for his age and has a little more size. A defenseman might have been ideal, as Washington hasn’t picked a blueliner in the first round since 2018, but with Solberg and Jiricek snapped up soon before this, the Capitals draft another winger whose game looks very well suited for playoff hockey. — Max Bultman
Several NHL scouts feel Connelly will go much higher than 29th, his placement here. Scouts also believe Eiserman still has a shot to go top 10, though I'd be surprised.

Aside from Eiserman I'm most intrigued by who doesn't go top 10. It seems likely Helenius, Catton & Eiserman won't but who else doesn't? Yakemchuk? Sennecke? Parekh? Very doubtful any of that trio slides within range but the sequencing of picks could be importantly, particularly in perhaps creating a run on defensemen even after the top six are gone. If so it'll push down some quality forward depth.

Reactions: Neil Racki

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Several NHL scouts feel Connelly will go much higher than 29th, his placement here. Scouts also believe Eiserman still has a shot to go top 10, though I'd be surprised.

Aside from Eiserman I'm most intrigued by who doesn't go top 10. It seems likely Helenius, Catton & Eiserman won't but who else doesn't? Yakemchuk? Sennecke? Parekh? Very doubtful any of that trio slides within range but the sequencing of picks could be importantly, particularly in perhaps creating a run on defensemen even after the top six are gone. If so it'll push down some quality forward depth.
Only 16 more days.

Ugh so picking a RW and then seeing three centers go in the next 4 picks?

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Only 16 more days.

Ugh so picking a RW and then seeing three centers go in the next 4 picks?
Such a meh pick I keep seeing mocked to us. I'll be a little disappointed if he's the guy. Don't hate the prospect I just don't like him at 17 for a talent starved organization. He will have a nice future on somebody's 3rd line one day but I'd rather we need to shoot for the moon.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Such a meh pick I keep seeing mocked to us. I'll be a little disappointed if he's the guy. Don't hate the prospect I just don't like him at 17 for a talent starved organization. He will have a nice future on somebody's 3rd line one day but I'd rather we need to shoot for the moon.
MBN? You don’t like him? I see him as a def middle 6W, that can do it all. Especially the 200ft game.

I mean, if we see Leonard and maybe Miro as top line W’s (or top 6), we need more to fill around it. Especially with CMM and Lappy being young. And Strome isn’t old, like at all.

Today is about top 9F’s that have wheels and can be “relentless”. I think MBN fits that in spades.

But what do I know?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

I tend to agree. I feel like he's going to be the 'safe floor' -kind of pick and one propably worth it for a team that's already rich with talent and needs a player like that. For a talent starving team, i don't see it. I wouldn't be shocked at it, but given that the middle-6 positions are propably their biggest strength as of now, i definitely don't see GMBM going for a 'safe floor' -player here.

I think it's unlikely that they go for a winger here, given their recent history. They drafted wingers with their 2 early picks year ago. Miro the year before. Hell even if you look at their 5 last picks in the rounds 1, 2 and 3, they have picked 4 wingers. At some point, you got to start building elsewhere. Even Cristall was propably sort of 'hail mary' -pick that dropped to their laps. But as a prospect he's pretty much the opposite from MBN. Boom-or-bust type that has a small chance to be an elite talent.

I personally think that they are looking at a D here and Jiricek fills what they are usually looking for. Top-10 talent that's dropped for some reason (here it's injury). I don't think they are that high-on Solberg because they aren't really what you'd call ''tournament drafters'' (where player that's gone under the radar suddenly goes on a tear for ~10 games and skyrockets up).

For an idea: Earlier in the season i saw that (i think it was) Canucks -board that had a thread -like: ''So you think you can draft'' -thread where people can post their own picks for the draft. Thinking of doing a thread like that here, it could be a fun one.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
BPA BPA BPA. For me Brandsegg is a more fluid, better two-way prospect than Miro. It doesn't necessarily mean he's BPA but he's no slouch. It seems somewhat like Leonard in that people hear praise of a two-way game and think he's like a Blake Coleman energy guy...but he's got a heavy shot and can snipe. Not as dynamic a skater as Leonard but there's a strong base to work with. Ideally, yes, they'd add more of an impact two-way foundational piece but at 17 there will likely need to be some sacrifices.

Vrana was a tournament-drafter sort of pick off of the U18s and that overachieving Czech team (where they also plucked Vanecek in the following round that year). That's just one example from many drafts but a more obvious example of it having some pull. The Worlds are a lot more significant in comparison but in any case it's also about the overall body of work and hoping a strong close is a sign of what's to come.

Jiricek is definitely a Lapierre-like selection given the season he had but I'm not sure the offensive upside is legit. While they should ideally shoot for pure offensive upside they also should take into consideration work ethic and leadership. Not to the point of reaching on someone more limited that's not super projectable but they also can't afford to lean too heavily into one-dimensional skill and hope it becomes more reliable (at least not in the first round without an elite arsenal). That's a bet I'd make with Eiserman but that's pretty much it.

Ideally I think they'd prefer for the draft to fall where they can move up for Catton or Eiserman for relatively minimal cost. If I had to guess that's the main hope one way or another. Could they get bold in trade talks to move up higher? Possibly but that'll take a lot more creativity and hustle to execute. Short of that they're right on the cusp of where it starts to thin out a bit. Historically they've had little qualms being aggressive to land a target and that may need to be the play. I think they'd much prefer netting something like a bedrock talent than hoping a quantity-based approach pays off. One way or another some picks will be flipped and it's IMO better to use them in the pursuit of an elite prospect than the average readily available NHLer or change of scenery candidate.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wouldn't hate the MBN pick, i think i'd learn to like it over time but as is, i'd propably be a bit disappointed and question why they didn't take the more aggressive approach given the talent that they have now and the talent that they are lacking at the top of the line-up. Safe floor is still not the worst choice, prospects can always bust and a GM that might feel even remotely on the hot-seat (i don't think GMBM does, btw) is always happy to just get something from the draft to show for it. But as opposed to Leonard, you don't really see the elite tools there. There is a fairly rounded prospect that does have a good shot but i wouldn't descrive his shot close to being elite (see: Eiserman). He does a lot of things well and it'd be surprising if he didn't atleast some day show up on NHL roster. Think someone called him the best forechecker in this draft. But i feel like if you are to take a winger, i'd want a guy that has that elite tool in his toolbox. Infact, even if i'm looking at a forward in general, i'd want that. That's why moving up certainly would be the best outcome, but we rarely get to know if that was ever even an possibility.

Catton for example has elite offensive tools. Helenius has his smarts and defensive game. Iginla has his shot and hands. Eiserman has his shot. These players aren't sure-fire NHL'ers but that's a risk i'd be willing to take for the chance to get something special. Apart from Eiserman none of these players will be there at 17 and even Eiserman is a huge long-shot. At 17 i think the boom-or-bust prospect is propably Terik Parascak given i'd put his IQ as one of the best in the draft and would describe it as an elite tool but he does have big shortcomings elsewhere (skating). But he's really young. Jiricek is intriguing for me given he's so young that he barely makes the cut for this draft, but again, playing in defensive role in Czech league makes him hard to evaluate. I really liked his game given he's big, excellent skater and a really good passer. As mentioned above, he's also really young and still really lean, which makes me wonder if there is more once he grows into that body more. He does have those (knee) injury red flags which make me wonder, but Capitals in the past have looked past those.

A+ draft would definitely be one where they manage to get into the ~top-12 or top-13 range and snag one of the fallers. Preferably a D but that's going to be a tough ask.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think Hage is the guy otherwise. Some teams may not believe in his capacity to stick at center but I think that'll get worked out in time at Michigan. He's got all of the puck skill you'd want and potentially a right shot center at that. You wouldn't think a player along those lines should be there at 17 but there may be just enough doubt as to his all-around game currently to where it happens.

Another interesting storyline is that it appears picks 7, 10 and 11 are all in play. They may not move. The Caps may not have the motivation or even the ammo to land them realistically but it does potentially throw a wrench into trying to project what may happen in front of them. Overall there's a top 14 group and then I could go either way between Hage, MBN or Solberg. Hage likely wins on pure offensive upside at a premium position and then the two Norwegians offer a fallback degree of Swedish type reliability.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I'd be glad to have him.

Michael Brandsegg-Nygård is a gamer. Place him anywhere in your lineup, hand him any assignment, and watch him skate through a wall to see it through.

Perhaps more aptly, watch him send another opponent through a wall. Because any discussion about Brandsegg-Nygård has to start with an examination of his physical skills. Let’s just say that it wasn’t a coincidence that he was able to hang in HockeyAllsvenskan for parts of two seasons as a 17- and 18-yearold in his draft-minus-one and draft-year seasons.

Far from just holding his own, Brandsegg-Nygård bullied his opponents most nights. He went into every retrieval seeking out contact and almost always connected. Thunderous hits sent his opponents flying from the puck, and when he couldn’t overwhelm them with brute force, technique would take its place in the form of reverse hits, subtle jabs at the puck through contact to keep it from his opponent’s stick, or a drive up and through their hands to establish inside positioning.

1718294342107.png

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Solberg sounds like he'd be a great second or third round pick.

But at #17 overall? I'd pass. Seems like the upside is extremely limited. If the offensive game isn't even present in the Norwegian league how does that project to the NHL?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It was moreso in the league playoffs and World Championships. The thinking would be that he's just scratching the surface of his potential. I'm not sure he'll ever be a 50+ point guy but teams covet minute-munchers that dictate physically and make efficient, opportunistic decisions with the puck. Anton Silayev is also mostly a projection pick based on his frame and raw tools. He got off to a hot start in the KHL but then definitely cooled off. Whereas with Solberg it was more the opposite (though certainly Solberg doesn't have Silayev's frame).

As much as we'd all like to shoot for offensive upside they need to take the BPA. If that's Solberg in their estimation I'm fine with it. A player that seeks to emulate Seider and Doughty has my attention. It's nonetheless potentially a valuable piece, particularly if one does believe he's just scratching the surface. He's more advanced in terms of physical play than Reinbacher was a year ago. There's no chance he makes it out of the first round with the sort of finish to the season he had. I'm not sure he makes it past Vegas but certainly he won't make it past Toronto. And I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up going in the top half of the first round. GMs love this sort of stabilizing piece even if the offensive game doesn't altogether pop.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Too many low impact safe floor guys being coveted around here at 17. That's is absolutely not what we need. I'd rather swing for the fences (knowing we might miss) and end up with a potential star given the current state of the franchise and the existing prospects in our system. You can develop solid third and fourth liners with later picks if you exhibit patience. They're also a heck of a lot easier to collect at reasonable prices on the UFA market with plenty of years left in their careers. What isn't easy to get in the UFA market are early/mid 20 guys with talent to play in the top half of the lineup for a decade.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Too many low impact safe floor guys being coveted around here at 17. That's is absolutely not what we need. I'd rather swing for the fences (knowing we might miss) and end up with a potential star given the current state of the franchise and the existing prospects in our system. You can develop solid third and fourth liners with later picks if you exhibit patience. They're also a heck of a lot easier to collect at reasonable prices on the UFA market with plenty of years left in their careers. What isn't easy to get in the UFA market are early/mid 20 guys with talent to play in the top half of the lineup for a decade.
We can’t really afford a miss….that’s moving backwards….

Reactions: Calicaps

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think it would be a mistake to unconditionally target offensive upside (certainly to the extent of being naive about downside). It's cartoonish. Not to say they should draft a Nic Dowd at 17 but they do need highly competitive players that can be trusted in any situation. While they've added various younger players recently none rise to the level of being true all-situations tonesetters. The closest thing this team has for that is John Carlson, a 34 year-old workhorse that was used so much it negatively impacted his offense (and theirs overall). Even he has a limited ceiling in truly setting the tone. Otherwise they hope Leonard develops into that but it's not as though all they're missing is a headliner or two. They could stand to upgrade in a lot of different areas that maybe aren't as glaring but nonetheless would put them on firmer ground to at least be a stronger possession team and harder to play against. It's not just skill level that determines that.

While I'm on the record of favoring a slight trade up for Catton or Eiserman if possible some of the takes on secondary options are steaming. Some seem to read certain attributes, glaze over, tune out and pigeonhole the player based off of it. That was certainly present last year re: Leonard. So I, and I think most, should be open to a more comprehensive sense of what makes a player valuable. Come playoff time teams need Hockey Players whose competitiveness sets the tone all over the ice. It's great to get that in a skilled player at the top of the lineup but we certainly see it's not sheer skill level making the difference most of the time. The Caps don't even really have that basic competitiveness tonesetter, as exhibited in the NYR series, and certainly shouldn't expect that Leonard alone will be sufficient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad