GDT: 2024 NHL Draft - (1st Round - 6/28 at 7PM ET and Remainder of Draft - 6/29 at 11:30AM ET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BritainStix

Oct 20, 2016
I’m as critical of this forum as anyone, but some things are clearly evident at the time. I believe success in hockey is far more random than people tend to acknowledge — this is why I don’t find myself getting outraged like others do — but it also means the name of the game is to maximize your probability to hit over enough events (draft picks, trades, etc). We have years and years of history indicating what kinds of decisions are probability-maximizing vs probability-minimizing.

You don’t have to claim with certainty that “this player will succeed and this player will fail” to make the point that “this was the wrong decision because the odds of it working are lower than the odds of foregone decision”. This is the frustration I have as someone who generally gives managers a lot of rope because I understand that the “best process” can often fail, and the “worst process” may sometimes succeed by no factors related to the skill of the decision makers.
I'm fully on board ripping this dumbass organisation and the idiotic way they go about doing shit, as the same for all the other GMs put there.

It's just interesting that there's been wild posts already about some of the draft picks that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual player. "Luchanko will never amount to more than a 4th liner", "Buium is a surefire top pairing defenseman" kind of level.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
@Appleyard what’s with Latvia and goalies now? Montreal just took one, they seem to be getting some turned out.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I’m as critical of this forum as anyone, but some things are clearly evident at the time. I believe success in hockey is far more random than people tend to acknowledge — this is why I don’t find myself getting outraged like others do — but it also means the name of the game is to maximize your probability to hit over enough events (draft picks, trades, etc). We have years and years of history indicating what kinds of decisions are probability-maximizing vs probability-minimizing.

You don’t have to claim with certainty that “this player will succeed and this player will fail” to make the point that “this was the wrong decision because the odds of it working are lower than the odds of foregone decision”. This is the frustration I have as someone who generally gives managers a lot of rope because I understand that the “best process” can often fail, and the “worst process” may sometimes succeed by no factors related to the skill of the decision makers.

Was drafting Milan Lucic in the top 50 a good decision?

I think it's completely fine to answer either yes or no. But it's on us to understand that if you're talking to someone who disagrees with you on the answer, you're flat out having two different conversations. And that's ok. It can be left at that.

Reactions: Random Forest

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Others can be added to this list-Hextall, Hakstol. It seems to me that it shows an organization that is flailing around to find a successful identity. The Flyers are no worse than half of the franchises in the League with this rotating door for poor management.
They need to find a Zito type who knows what he can do in the game in order to succeed. Relying on old heads who played in an era that is so far removed from today is doomed to failure. I had hopes for Briere but then he was joined by Jones and hired Tortorella and he hung himself.
A full clean out of the Flyers is needed. Then go after the right person to be their lynchpin in the turn over. Go throw all of the money that they need to and hire that guy; say a Jon Cooper. Then give them carte blanche to do what needs to be done to reshape the organization top to bottom. People may laugh but it's what the Red Wings have done with Yzerman and it is slowly bearing fruit. It has to be an outsider. This club has been a loser for so long that they don't know what winning looks like.
The problems with the Flyers run to its core. They greatly overvalue intaginbles in bottom of the line up talent and that leads them into making dumb decisions. They are also way too loyal which also leads them to make dumb decisions.

They hire GMs that believe in these two foundation beliefs who hire coaches that believe in them...hence why it never changes.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We do have a love-affair with bottom 6 types. FA signings, Vet signings, draft, front office positions.

I'm a broken record, but they behave like they think you can have too much talent and that having too much talent is worse than not having enough. And with Michkov coming over they're at their talent limit.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm fully on board ripping this dumbass organisation and the idiotic way they go about doing shit, as the same for all the other GMs put there.

It's just interesting that there's been wild posts already about some of the draft picks that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual player. "Luchanko will never amount to more than a 4th liner", "Buium is a surefire top pairing defenseman" kind of level.

It's all about probability. The probability of Buium being a high end player is a lot higher than the probability for Luchanko to do it. No "surefire" anything is necessary, this is a process that we can see is minimizing chances for success. As always.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
134Montréal Canadiens
11.png
Mikus Vecvanags (G)

Another Latvian, ok, ok. Not bad, interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How many times now have the Flyers traded up? To me outside of maybe like the top 15 area it’s just not worth trading up & granted the league doesn’t really trade top 10 picks at all.

But once you start moving to the back half of the first round & beyond the variance isn’t really that great in terms of odds. So in reality you should be staying put or trading back in those situations. The numbers support this. These are the ranges you absolutely want to volume draft in. But the Flyers are doing to opposite.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How many times now have the Flyers traded up? To me outside of maybe like the top 15 area it’s just not worth trading up & granted the league doesn’t really trade top 10 picks at all.

But once you start moving to the back half of the first round & beyond the variance isn’t really that great in terms of odds. So in reality you should be staying put or trading back in those situations. The numbers support this. These are the ranges you absolutely want to volume draft in. But the Flyers are doing to opposite.

Flarh did this with Fletcher in 2020 & thought they were so smart especially in the early going but now Wisdom probably isn’t an NHL player & Desnoyers if he does reach the NHL it’s probably in a lower lineup capacity. They traded additional draft capital just to target guys in the 4th & 5th rounds.

It’s just dumb process & reeks of arrogance.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I do not hate cashing in on Holtz while he had some value left.

He's heading into his D+5 and we're not even sure if he's an NHLer yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad