GDT: 2024 NHL Draft - (1st Round - 6/28 at 7PM ET and Remainder of Draft - 6/29 at 11:30AM ET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I always enjoy the absolute certainty in people's convictions about 17 year old kids. You would swear that the draft is dead easy and you just follow the consensus.
TBF, it’s not like the Flyers have been a team that has fantastically drafted well. Like I mean, they are probably in the bottom of the league with it

Reactions: Curufinwe

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I understand the philosophy here completely. What I don't personally know is how the NHL sets up their departments. I can speak to the NFL.

Generally, A prospects are those given a Grade of Round 1-3. At least five people do indpendent evaluations -- the local area Scout (Southeast, etc), the regional Scout (East), a national Scout, the head of College Scouting, and then the AGM or whoever is ultimately in charge of the amateur wing. That's 4 independent instances of cross-checking designed to filter out outliers.

Then of course it's up to the decision makers to synthesize the info well.

The NHL would probably shudder at the MLB’s set up when it comes to drafting process. :laugh:

Do they really even send scouts on the road for live viewings as much anymore?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
@Appleyard You would probably know. Is there a similar level of cross-checking in the NHL? That’s often 100+ players per class with that kind of independent detail down to the studs.
Yeh. Though the scouting departments I am more tapped into on a smaller level (either directly or through other guys who talk about them) are... well... some of the better drafting teams recently.

Though maybe not 5 points of cross-checking. Maybe 3-4.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I always enjoy the absolute certainty in people's convictions about 17 year old kids. You would swear that the draft is dead easy and you just follow the consensus.
I don’t think the draft is “easy” but I think it’s obvious that teams suffer greatly from overthinking their evaluations. You could match the output of half these teams with no scouting department at all. A decent algorithm using publicly available information would do better than teams with full scouting departments sitting around talking about players “playing the right way” or “putting it all together” and other classic hockey tropes.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I don’t think the draft is “easy” but I think it’s obvious that teams suffer greatly from overthinking their evaluations. You could match the output of half these teams with no scouting department at all. A decent algorithm using publicly available information would do better than teams with full scouting departments sitting around talking about players “playing the right way” or “putting it all together” and other classic hockey tropes.

There are NFL projects that compare consensus public boards to what teams do. We have meaningful evidence this holds true.

Where they tend to fail are in the medicals, which makes perfect sense.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
There are NFL projects that compare consensus public boards to what teams do. We have meaningful evidence this holds true.

Where they tend to fail are in the medicals, which makes perfect sense.
Exactly. And at least in the NFL, you have the benefit of knowing exactly what your needs are with players who will step in immediately. Lots more randomness & uncertainty in the NHL draft means less edge from squawking about scouting reports and more edge from finding and arbitraging mis-pricings.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild #cutterwasright #AlexeiAWOL
May 26, 2012
In the history of rebuilds, has a team ever waited nearly 100 picks in the heart of the draft?

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
TBF, it’s not like the Flyers have been a team that has fantastically drafted well. Like I mean, they are probably in the bottom of the league with it

They usually do well in the first, so Jett will probably be an NHLer, but it’s more than likely Buium will be better.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
@FLYguy3911 I’m sitting here remembering the time your post got me to look into just how bad of an idea it is to move up late in the draft. Yeah. Here we are again.

(This is not an evaluation of the player. I have no idea who he is.)
Yeah I'm biting my tongue at the moment. Howie Roseman without the track record of getting surplus value in most trades.

What was the trade exactly? Edit: nvm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad