GDT: 2024 NHL Draft - (1st Round - 6/28 at 7PM ET and Remainder of Draft - 6/29 at 11:30AM ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You seem to be missing the rather obvious point that the Flyers need a massive infusion of talent if they hope to be a contender sometime this decade, so having a top 5 pick in addition to some extra late 1sts is a much better position than using those two late 1sts to move up from 12 to 4.
Is it though? Let's assume that the players they get at 12 and the extra late firsts are what most of those picks are when they are considered "hits" for that spot (e.g., not getting a steal that turns out better than expected but rather are what you would expect from those selections).

At 12 you're getting most likely a second line guy that can play top line minutes and the PP or a #2 defender that can kill penalties and play PP. At the end of the draft you're getting a middle six guy and a second pair guy.

At 4 you're getting a top liner or a top pair guy. Those guys are infinitely harder to get than the guys you will get at 12 or the end of the draft. I agree 100% they need to get as many good players as possible, but at the same time as we have seen with the teams that are actually being successful, one thing they all have in common are top of the draft talents (read: top five picks).

Yes I know that they should have sucked this year and they wouldn't be in this position, but it's a little late for that and that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to move up. It sucks and isn't ideal, but you don't just throw your hands up and say "f*** it let's pick here and hope for the best." If years down the road Demidov is a superstar and our pick #12 busts all we'll here about is how stupid the Flyers were for not trading up.

Reactions: Tarpongg

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
Also you’re seeing just how hard it is to move up in the draft if 3 1sts couldn’t get this done. It’s gotten harder over the years.

Clarkie once said a 1st rounder is just a 5th rounder you need to pay more money to. Teams used to sit around the draft table smoking Marlboro reds and handing out first rd picks like breath mints. Ahh the good ol days…

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Maybe they are using Necas to get Farabee included on the Flyers end.
They can Take him. Or Foerster. Or subtract a pick and take both. Neither is a stallion. Both will be/are good, but elite seems unrealistic. Lower pedigree young assets to get potentially elite talent. That seems fair to me. Only if it is for Demidov though. I personally wouldn't spend assets like this for anyone else in this draft, but Michkov+Demidov would set the foundation of a contender for a long time. I still think Demidov is a center in the NHL too. His game is suited for it, not sure why SKA only has him on the wing

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Please, Briere, keep striking out if you’re spending a metric ton of capital on Lindstrom. I have mixed feelings on the player and his realistic 1C upside. I thought his linemate, Basha, actually drove the line offensively. He was a tough scout, borderline project, not a gimme. It feels like a basic bitch move that won’t age well. It also feels like a “need center” move, that desperation historically working out.

The rumored ask of the Flyers is 2024 #12, #32, and Colorado's 2025 1st. What would be the equivalent ask of the Hurricanes? Necas, 2024 #27, and #60?

I can’t imagine it doesn’t also involve a good prospect, which Carolina has in abundance. Necas and #27 won’t get to #4.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I assume this is their final mock for 2024

Flyers take Esierman at 12, and a 6'7" center at 32.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Please, Briere, keep striking out if you’re spending a metric ton of capital on Lindstrom. I have mixed feelings on the player and his realistic 1C upside. I thought his linemate, Basha, actually drove the line offensively. He was a tough scout, borderline project, not a gimme. It feels like a basic bitch move that won’t age well. It also feels like a “need center” move, that desperation historically working out.

I can’t imagine it doesn’t also involve a good prospect, which Carolina has in abundance. Necas and #27 won’t get to #4.
And, re Lindstrom, he’s already missed time with back issues.

Hmm, injured and big, born to be a f***ing Flyer!

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
please just take catton please just take catton please just take catton
No guarantee he’s there…. He’s definitely not going top 5. Utah has similar players in Cooley/Keller, Sens will go Iginla or a defenseman at 7 and Sharks will go Eiserman or a defenseman at 11. Not sure if he makes it past the 8-10 range though. Calgary scares me the most.

Reactions: BiggE

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012

I was ready to give Danny the benefit of the doubt, but then I saw that pic of that ham sandwich Flahr looking like he’s doing long division, I’m petrified

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We have to figure out who Chicago is taking. Seems like Demidov might make it past Montreal and even Utah with the leaks. Wonder if he’s there at 7 the flyers pounce on moving up

Reactions: TheKingPin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad