2024 NHL All-Star Game selections

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Seems like nobody cares but:

Cale Makar and Alexandar Georgiev will join Colorado Avalanche teammate Nathan MacKinnon at the 2024 NHL All-Star Weekend in Toronto.

Makar, a defenseman, and Georgiev, a goalie, were two of five winners of the 2024 NHL All-Star Fan Vote presented by MassMutual announced by the NHL on Saturday.

Edmonton Oilers forward Leon Draisaitl, and goalies Sergei Bobrovsky of the Florida Panthers and Jeremy Swayman, were also winners of the fan vote.

It will be the fifth All-Star Game appearance for Draisaitl and the third for Makar. Bobrovsky will be making his second appearance, and Georgiev and Swayman each their first.

The final seven fan vote winners will be announced Saturday on Sportsnet and NHL Network around 6:45 p.m. ET, before the start of the game between the Avalanche and Toronto Maple Leafs.
----------------
So with Makar we are now up to 3 defensemen

Also the fact they named 3 goalies and 2 other tells me Marner must have finished 3rd in voting for forwards/defense because they rather announce that before the Leafs Game.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
yeah I'm clearly being skeptical he was actually one of the highest fan votes

Not defending the pick but he does lead the league in wins, although his save percentage leaves a bit to be desired. With 5 goalies already picked that means one of Demko or Hellebuyck will get screwed, and with more Canuck fans voting than Jet's fans Hellebuyck will be the one who royally gets screwed most likely

ETA: looks like my mistake Hellebuyck was already picked, for some reason I thought there was 6 goalies that would be picked, looks like their is 8(Oettinger, Shesterkin and Talbot were also picked, for whatever reason I just thought it was the first 2 guys mentioned)

Last edited:

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Georgiev?! He's got a lot of wins but a sub .900 SV% shouldn't get you into the all star game. Get rid of fan voting!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree, but I also think he's a player no one wants to see in the All Star game.

On the surface, sure.

But I recall watching the decathlon at the Olympics, and the coverage had a channel dedicated entirely to the decathlon, which was great.

Not every decathlete was good at every event, unlike the individual event sports.

So you see quite the discrepancy in results, and it gives you a bit of a better appreciation for the difference between great, and good, and average.

Let's see Boone Jenner out there as the pace runner.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am still trying to figure out how this game will be played. As of now we have 3 defensemen, 7 goalies and 27 forwards with 6 more forwards/defense to be picked and 1 more goalie. If We go by recent results for the all star votes which may have changed a bit(I believe Reilly(TOR) was the 2nd highest defenseman after Makar and he was like spot 11), no more defense will be picked which basically leaves us with injury replacements used to fill more defense spots.

It's going to be like 3 forwards on 3 forward many times

Here is the voting by the way as of Tuesday

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am still trying to figure out how this game will be played. As of now we have 3 defensemen, 7 goalies and 27 forwards with 6 more forwards/defense to be picked and 1 more goalie. If We go by recent results for the all star votes which may have changed a bit(I believe Reilly(TOR) was the 2nd highest defenseman after Makar and he was like spot 11), no more defense will be picked which basically leaves us with injury replacements used to fill more defense spots.

Hopefully the coaches are working really hard on their systems.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Here is the voting by the way as of Tuesday

2 goalies
3 Defenders
6 forwards per team

3 lines of 1 D and 2 forwards like it’s been for a few years, I’m assuming.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
2 goalies
3 Defenders
6 forwards per team

3 lines of 1 D and 2 forwards like it’s been for a few years, I’m assuming.

Problem is as of right now we have 3 defensemen total(Quinn Hughes, Makar, and Dahlen). Now we may get 1 or 2 more added when we get the remaining 6 forwards/defensemen named tonight or as injury replace(say like Seth Jones for Connor Bedard), but even if they can find a way to get 3 more defensemen(for a total of 6) those have to be split amongst 4 teams.

My guess is we will only have 4 defensemen playing when all is said and done and they make a rule that each team can only draft 1 defenseman. Personally I would love to see no rules made in the draft other then you need to draft 2 goalies and see if Team 1 picks either Connor McDavid or a Defenseman first(Makar or Hughes) given how much a premium is on defense

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Problem is as of right now we have 3 defensemen total(Quinn Hughes, Makar, and Dahlen). Now we may get 1 or 2 more added when we get the remaining 6 forwards/defensemen named tonight or as injury replace(say like Seth Jones for Connor Bedard), but even if they can find a way to get 3 more defensemen(for a total of 6) those have to be split amongst 4 teams.

My guess is we will only have 4 defensemen playing when all is said and done and they make a rule that each team can only draft 1 defenseman. Personally I would love to see no rules made in the draft other then you need to draft 2 goalies and see if Team 1 picks either Connor McDavid or a Defenseman first(Makar or Hughes) given how much a premium is on defense
Thanks, ya you’re probably right, they won’t get to 12 D total, maybe going for more forwards this year with the changes to skill competition.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Thanks, ya you’re probably right, they won’t get to 12 D total, maybe going for more forwards this year with the changes to skill competition.

I am guessing they will find a way to get 4 defensemen and only allow teams to pick 1 defenseman which sucks because I would love to force a team1(even 2 and 3) to choose between McDavid or guaranteeing themselves to have a defenseman.

As I said above if their is no rules I am drafting as many defensemen as I can till their is none left, then let other teams play with 1 or no defensemen

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
Well, I guess it's just a testament to the Jets and our "team game" that we only have our one guaranteed player going despite the standings. Oh well. Fan voting is dumb. Glad the draft is back, though.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
All star numbers!

IMG_9769.jpg

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
One way they could make sure to spread the d-men around a little bit would be to name 2 of the defensemen as the other two captains (McDavid and Matthews already named as captains).

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5