GDT: 2024 NCAA Frozen Four National Title (BC vs DU: Championship game 4/13 @ 6pm ET, ESPN2 & ESPN+)

Who will win the 2024 NCAA Hockey Title?

• Boston College Eagles

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Michigan Tech Huskies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wisconsin Badgers

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Quinnipiac Bobcats

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Michigan State Spartans

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Western Michigan Broncos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Dakota Fighting Sioux

• Michigan Wolverines

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Denver Pioneers

Votes: 24 11.2%
  • Cornell Big Red

• Boston University Terriers

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • Minnesota Golden Gophers

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
By the old school of thought, I agree he wouldn't have earned the Hobey, when it was a bit more of a career type of trophy. But the modern interpretation of best player in a season version does make Celebrini the obvious winner in my eyes. I did not see any other player in the NCAA have the same kind of impact each shift as Celebrini had this season, it was very, very special.

Reactions: JMCx4

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
By the old school of thought, I agree he wouldn't have earned the Hobey, when it was a bit more of a career type of trophy. But the modern interpretation of best player in a season version does make Celebrini the obvious winner in my eyes. I did not see any other player in the NCAA have the same kind of impact each shift as Celebrini had this season, it was very, very special.

I would have given it to Gauthier. Outscored Celebrini and was far more impactful defensively.

Reactions: HanSolo

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Couldn’t Leonard and Smith participate in the WJC even if they turn pro?

Yes. Believe Kreider did that. As did others.

I would have given it to Gauthier. Outscored Celebrini and was far more impactful defensively.

Disagree. Yes Cutter had big numbers. But BC also had the freshman line. Don't think the supporting cast at BU was nearly as dominant.

Reactions: CaptainShark

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Ya I thought he should’ve won it but I’m not really surprised. I get the whole thing about BC with the freshman line but that should’ve really only been taken into consideration with the PP because Cutter didn’t really play with them outside of a couple games when Perrault was out 5v5. Cutter had more goals 5v5 than Celebrini. He shut him down 3 out of 4 times they played against each other and Was the better player on the ice against each other the majority of the time head to head. Defensively I don’t think it’s close, Cutter was BC’s go to shut down center against other teams top lines plus was killing penalties all year and was really good at both of them

Also the idea Celebrini was playing with nobodies is a question mark for me. He played on lines with Shane LaChance, Jack Harvey, Jack Hughes, Dylan Peterson, Luke Tuch and Quinn Hutson this year. The only one not drafted is Hutson and the rest are either equal to or better prospects than Jellvik and Gasseau

I think the idea of having a 17 year old freshman win the Hobey and go #1 overall was very appealing to a lot of the committee

Whatever though, as the great Nathan Gerbe said after losing the Hobey in ‘08 but winning the natty, “I don't need a Hobey Baker, I got the national championship in 2008 and that's all I came to get.” Let’s hope Cutter can repeat the same speech tonight

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Ya I thought he should’ve won it but I’m not really surprised. I get the whole thing about BC with the freshman line but that should’ve really only been taken into consideration with the PP because Cutter didn’t really play with them outside of a couple games when Perrault was out 5v5. Cutter had more goals 5v5 than Celebrini. He shut him down 3 out of 4 times they played against each other and Was the better player on the ice against each other the majority of the time head to head. Defensively I don’t think it’s close, Cutter was BC’s go to shut down center against other teams top lines plus was killing penalties all year and was really good at both of them

Also the idea Celebrini was playing with nobodies is a question mark for me. He played on lines with Shane LaChance, Jack Harvey, Jack Hughes, Dylan Peterson, Luke Tuch and Quinn Hutson this year. The only one not drafted is Hutson and the rest are either equal to or better prospects than Jellvik and Gasseau

I think the idea of having a 17 year old freshman win the Hobey and go #1 overall was very appealing to a lot of the committee

Whatever though, as the great Nathan Gerbe said after losing the Hobey in ‘08 but winning the natty, “I don't need a Hobey Baker, I got the national championship in 2008 and that's all I came to get.” Let’s hope Cutter can repeat the same speech tonight

Precisely this. Celebrini is the better prospect and his season was fantastic for a 17 year old, but Cutter was the more impactful college player this season and it wasn't that all that close.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Celebrini wins the Hobey and McClellan wins the Mike Richter Award... I'd really like to see Cutter and Fowler do the same type of interview as Gerbe did when he won the championship

With a little lottery luck this year they could be teammates next year

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
BU being less deep offensively likely played a big role. I’m fine with Celebrini. Probably not my vote but not a bad pick.

The old guys being in college hockey, it actually kinda works out in that ncaa undrafted players are well poised to get ECHL and AHL roster spots because they are older and more developed. Only a handful of USports guys end up continuing on and it’s rare to see them on AHL rosters. Between 20 year old junior players and 23 year old ncaa players, AHL teams would almost always rather have the older guy.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I think LaChance was more of an anchor on the line. Harvey is a good player though.

I don't have an opinion on who should have won the Hobey, but I think Celebrini was the most impressive college player I've seen since Makar.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think LaChance was more of an anchor on the line. Harvey is a good player though.

I don't have an opinion on who should have won the Hobey, but I think Celebrini was the most impressive college player I've seen since Makar.
If you factor in age, I would say he is the most impressive college player ever.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I get that Celebrini winning has a lot to do with his age, but damn, Gauthier was by the best player in NCAA period. Like no questions asked and Celebrini was not close to him.

Not accurate on either account even though I think BC beats Denver
DU has been the most fortunate team in this entire tournament, should've lost earlier on and should have had a penalty late in regulation on the Hutson non-called trip even though they were better than BU yesterday.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Different era. Kariya "only" went 4th.

Yes he went 4th, partly as a smaller player expected to have some translation issues to the NHL.

I actually think if you put draft year Kariya in the NCAA right now he might be winning the Hobey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad