NBA 2024 NBA Offseason

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I guess this is old news, I just saw the Nets are retiring Vince Carters number.

To each their own I suppose, but every so often there's a number retirement that has me confused and this is for sure one of them.

Reactions: Voight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I guess this is old news, I just saw the Nets are retiring Vince Carters number.

To each their own I suppose, but every so often there's a number retirement that has me confused and this is for sure one of them.
its a testament to the nets franchise

VC is their 3rd all time leading scorer despite only playing there for 4-5 seasons and was named to the ASG a few times. so by nets standards, he's certainly worthy of getting his jersey retired. surprised they're doing it before richard jefferson though, who was there much longer and was on those teams that made the finals in 02 and 03

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
its a testament to the nets franchise

VC is their 3rd all time leading scorer despite only playing there for 4-5 seasons and was named to the ASG a few times. so by nets standards, he's certainly worthy of getting his jersey retired. surprised they're doing it before richard jefferson though, who was there much longer and was on those teams that made the finals in 02 and 03
Guessing going into the hall of fame has more to do with it, but that doesn’t explain some of the others they’ve retired.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That actually makes some sense now that you put it that way. To me it seemed like a way to sell tickets for a team that doesn't look like it's going to be good next year.

I still think he's one of the more overrated players of all time but I guess I can the understand the reasoning behind the Nets decision, even if I wouldn't retire his number personally. Again to each their own.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like Yabusele impressed the Sixers the most

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

Is VC the most overrated player of all time? I get it he could dunk but....

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think he's properly rated. he was one of the most versatile scorers in the league in his prime. 10 seasons in a row averaging 20+ ppg and then you have the iconic dunks

spending the entire second half of his career as a role player and vet locker room presence has led people to forget how good he was in his toronto/nets days

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
i think he's properly rated. he was one of the most versatile scorers in the league in his prime. 10 seasons in a row averaging 20+ ppg and then you have the iconic dunks

spending the entire second half of his career as a role player and vet locker room presence has led people to forget how good he was in his toronto/nets days

I mean, he never in the MVP discussion, I think his best finish was 10th? Never made a finals...or even a 3rd round? For a league that is so obsessed with rings and winning it not good.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I mean, he never in the MVP discussion, I think his best finish was 10th? Never made a finals...or even a 3rd round? For a league that is so obsessed with rings and winning it not good.
Oh so we're doing this. No MVPs = this guy is a scrub. Is Dale Hawerchuk a bum because he existed in an era with the two greatest forwards in hockey history so the MVP was basically unattainable? No, that's why this post sucks.

He's rated as he should be: a fantastic scorer in his prime with probably one of the nastiest highlight reels of that era. Not to mention the massive effect he had on basketball in Canada.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

The most overrated? No I don't think so.

Overrated though, yes. Great dunker, but for a team with championship aspirations he's not doing it on his own.

Personally I was never a fan. FWIW I liked Steve Francis better even though he pretty much screwed Vancouver over.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
The most overrated? No I don't think so.

Overrated though, yes. Great dunker, but for a team with championship aspirations he's not doing it on his own.

Personally I was never a fan. FWIW I liked Steve Francis better even though he pretty much screwed Vancouver over.
They got Mike Bibby who was the better overall player. That only thing that screwed the Grizzlies over is the ownership

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

IMO playing for the leagues lone Canadian team hurt his MVP chances. Not that he was ever "deserving" of one, but had his peak been for a different team Zi think he'd of done better with votes.

Can't be worse than the Miami Heat retiring #23 for noted franchise legend Michael Jordan.

• Wow
Reactions: HisIceness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad