Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Rookie Camp (September 11-17)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I think Mesar needs some serious Media training, he's too honest. He's sharing too much information of how he's thinking and thats going to hurt him in the long run
How many times did he mention he has a gf now?😂 reminded me that these kids are still just 20 or so haha

Lmao
You can tell Reinbacher doesn't *love* talking to the media all that much
But he gets through it
All business right now

Lane next
Man he's excited lol
DR is all business. He’ll be the quiet type of leader I suspect.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
In today’s NHL, the only teams that will contend are those (whom) players understand how a cap works.

I.e.:
It is insane, pure insanity, That Draisatl is about to make $14M.. he is worth nowhere near that. McDavid should be the top paid player in the league at max $12m/yr. Every other player is replaceable. This is why the Habs are positioned correctly to contend. Apx $8m/yr for your top 3.. Leafs have proven how useless overpaying players become..

As far as i care, if "any" player pulls a Mitch Marner with my team, his ass is traded before i stir my morning coffee.. no and, ifs or buts.. let them go make their money with some other loser franchise run by an uneducated ex player.

Similar to CC... when he was holding out, i wanted him gone.. never, but ever should the Habs "negotiate" above fair market value.. doing so kills your team. Looking back, i would have been fine getting rid of him.. he has still, yet to have proven anything.. snipe away on the PP, does nothing come playoffs.
I couldn't disagree more. Pay for the superstars, stop giving guys like Nurse, Anderson or KK that kind of money and you'll be fine.

Reactions: viceroy

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Are the Habs scared to revealed that everyone lost a inch or two so that's why they aren't publishing the prospects height/weight?

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Marshall Finnie ( a camp invite) injured Danford their 1st round pick from this past draft.at practice this morning. Also, outside of Minten and Cowan for the Leafs I want to see Grebenkin who had 41 points at 20 years old in the KHL last year.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Are the Habs scared to revealed that everyone lost a inch or two so that's why they aren't publishing the prospects height/weight?

I wouldn't be surprised if Beck is now a solid 6.0 and Mesar 180 cm while Hutson looks smaller than Mesar so he probably hasn't gained any height

54634534.jpg

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I couldn't disagree more. Pay for the superstars, stop giving guys like Nurse, Anderson or KK that kind of money and you'll be fine.

He is absolutely correct, as the Leafs and Oilers are evidence of how hard it is to win while being so top heavy. They struggle to fill out their roster with good players and are too reliant on a few players to carry the entire load.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Yeah but its easier said than done to have a proper cap structure when our best player is Nick Suzuki , get back to me about taking discounts if somebody on the team puts up multiple 100 point seasons like Drai.

So that's your explanation for Nurse's contract?

Might just be my eyes but it looks to me like Lane Hutson has grown from 5'10 to 5'10.25

On a similar note I recently found out that Tony Marinaro is 5'9.5". He said so on an episode of his podcast.

I sure hope they encourage Kaiden to win more battles with his skating and his stick.
For a couple of seasons now I've felt like he's trying to play too much of a physical game that he's not really suited for.

He had quite the reputation of being a physical defenseman back in the WHL. I think having the nuclear deterrent of Xhekaj means a lot of our D don't have to fight or be overly physical. I mean Guhle, Matheson, Savard, Mailloux and Struble are all tough guys.

I wouldn't worry. Most people wouldn't know a bust if they went into an art museum.

I think I could spot Mesar if he was hanging out at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts.

I hate that they let Florian ar Center.

Let him create havoc on the wing.

Florian feels more comfortable at C. That's where he's played most of his life. I mean he busted out last year when he went back to C. I mean it's cool if he slots in at Wing in the NHL. I mean 3rd and 4th lines in the NHL are full of C's.

Reactions: bsl and Rapala

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He is absolutely correct, as the Leafs and Oilers are evidence of how hard it is to win while being so top heavy. They struggle to fill out their roster with good players and are too reliant on a few players to carry the entire load.

Paying your superstars and being top heavy is not the same thing.

Toronto's problem is not having superstar players, it's having 4 forwards paid like superstars. Cut one (or even two) off, replace with a 6M guy and redistribute the rest and it's a lot stronger team.

Edmonton's problems are not being superstars, it's bad contracts like Campbell and Nurse and drafting like potatoes. Since the McDavid draft (so 2016 onward), their best non-first round guys are Stuart Skinner, Ryan Mcleod and Vincent Desharnais. They had to fill their rosters with trades and UFA which is a lot pricier.

Pittsburgh got 3 Cups paying their superstars. It works, you just need to balance your roster properly.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Paying your superstars and being top heavy is not the same thing.

Toronto's problem is not having superstar players, it's having 4 forwards paid like superstars. Cut one (or even two) off, replace with a 6M guy and redistribute the rest and it's a lot stronger team.

Edmonton's problems are not being superstars, it's bad contracts like Campbell and Nurse and drafting like potatoes. Since the McDavid draft (so 2016 onward), their best non-first round guys are Stuart Skinner, Ryan Mcleod and Vincent Desharnais. They had to fill their rosters with trades and UFA which is a lot pricier.

Pittsburgh got 3 Cups paying their superstars. It works, you just need to balance your roster properly.
That and you won't get far lowballing a top 5 player in the league. If you don't think he's part of a winning core, that's a good asset to trade but your example is good. You don't trade Malkin to fit Jordan Staal under the cap.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
How do you rate his defensive acumen? NHL comparable?
It's clearly not his top asset. When first drafted Mailloux was prone to playing a ball hockey type of defence. Instead of closing the gap, he would often try to mirror the attacking forward and adopt a blocking stance with his skates together and his stick positioned like a goaltender. While it may have worked against the teenagers in the OHL., NHL players, given the same time would go around Mailloux like he was a pillar of salt. I even suggested ( and received a level of derision) that maybe the Canadiens' management should consider moving Mallioux to forward.

He was better in his defensive approach and anticipation in the AHL as he became more aggressive in the defensive zone and closed the gap on opposing forwards more aggressively. From the limited videos that I was able to watch from the Rookie Camp, it would appear that there was more snap in Mailloux's skating and he used this improved mobility to be more aggressive in his defensive approach. But this improvement was still against rookie players. I'm interested to see how he plays against the Leafs' rookies and against true NHL competition during pre-season games.

Mailloux's effectiveness in the pre-season against superior competition will provide us with a better idea if he has recovered from the loss of development time due to COVID, suspension and injury. But his improved skating is very encouraging and provides, at least to this writer, hope that he is on the cusp of making the team. Ramage may well be correct in his assessment.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad