2024 MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm so tired of this argument. He hasn't beat a "top 5 guy" because none of the rank squatters above him accepted his callouts. He called out the likes of Covington and Usman multiple times. He has only fought the likes of Wonderboy, Neal, etc. because they were the only ones willing to fight him. He was literally begging for fights on social media before the Wonderboy bout, it was ridiculous. He had a fight lined up with JDM, but JDM got injured. Not his fault. Not to mention this "top 5" nonsense is a totally arbitrary number. Garry isn't ranked top 5 yet beating him would mean more than a win over allegedly #4 ranked Covington (LOL) and #2 ranked Usman. The rankings are bs.

Shavkat's resume isn't any worse than a lot of other fighters who get title shots. It was largely believed by many, including myself, that he would be avoided like the plague on his way up, and then when he was inevitably in line for a title shot people would predictably be barking about "well who has he beat, muh top 5" etc. I remember the same narrative with Makhachev. A title eliminator vs Garry or JDM would be reasonable, but so would him getting the next shot. Either way, he's not far off just because he doesn't have any wins against WW's current alleged top 5.
Weird thing to be angry about. My only point was assuming Shavkat is next in line for a title shot when he hasn't done anything to solidify or guarantee it. I wouldn't be upset if he got the next shot, just saying he hasn't done anything to cement it.

And top 5 isn't an arbitrary numbers it's a ranking that's closer to #1 contender than #10. I find easier and easier to justify giving someone a title shot when they've faced better competition. It's hard to give someone a title shot when the best fighter they've faced was the 9th best fighter in the division. How do you justify giving him a title shot over JDM who has beaten a guy that was ranked top 5 when they fought? The easy resolution is to have them fight for #1 contender.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Weird thing to be angry about. My only point was assuming Shavkat is next in line for a title shot when he hasn't done anything to solidify or guarantee it. I wouldn't be upset if he got the next shot, just saying he hasn't done anything to cement it.

And top 5 isn't an arbitrary numbers it's a ranking that's closer to #1 contender than #10. I find easier and easier to justify giving someone a title shot when they've faced better competition. It's hard to give someone a title shot when the best fighter they've faced was the 9th best fighter in the division. How do you justify giving him a title shot over JDM who has beaten a guy that was ranked top 5 when they fought? The easy resolution is to have them fight for #1 contender.
I'm not "angry", I just think it's a flawed narrative considering he was being avoided and the top 5 isn't really the top 5.

I mean if he beat Garry, would that not be enough to cement it? Garry is ranked outside the top 5 officially, but clearly one of the top 5 WWs right now. Would arguably be better than any of JDM's wins. Not to mention he's had more impressive performances. But as I said, a Shavkat vs Garry/JDM title eliminator would be reasonable.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not "angry", I just think it's a flawed narrative considering he was being avoided and the top 5 isn't really the top 5.

I mean if he beat Garry, would that not be enough to cement it? Garry is ranked outside the top 5 officially, but clearly one of the top 5 WWs right now. Would arguably be better than any of JDM's wins. Not to mention he's had more impressive performances. But as I said, a Shavkat vs Garry/JDM title eliminator would be reasonable.
My point was just the more wins you have over people higher in the rankings, then the higher the likelihood that you earn a title shot.

Ian Garry would be the highest ranked opponent for Shavkat, and thus would help him get closer to a title shot. However I think Ian Garry is even farther away from a title shot so I don't think he should be in a title eliminator yet. JDM at least beat Burns, so I think that #3 vs #5 for a title eliminator is completely reasonable.

I also think they need to clean up that divisions rankings. Colby and Kamaru should be unranked.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Dana White said Conor isn't fighting this year.

At this point you have to just move on if you're Chandler, no? Not just because of the amount of extra time you'd have to wait but moreso how comfortable can he really be in thinking he's still McGregor and/or the UFC's first choice for that fight when or if McGregor comes back? He's let himself slip into complete irrelevancy. Nobody cares about The Ultimate Fighter. Now it's just two guys who haven't fought in years fighting in a completely different weight class. At least when Chandler was active he was somewhat relevant in terms of the rankings. There's probably 15 other fighters I'd rather see McGregor fight right now. Hell, I've been amazed that Poirier completely no-sells McGregor every time he comes up in a conversation. One somewhat antagonistic tweet from Poirier to McGregor and Chandler gets completely thrown on the trash heap IMO.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

At this point you have to just move on if you're Chandler, no? Not just because of the amount of extra time you'd have to wait but moreso how comfortable can he really be in thinking he's still McGregor and/or the UFC's first choice for that fight when or if McGregor comes back? He's let himself slip into complete irrelevancy. Nobody cares about The Ultimate Fighter. Now it's just two guys who haven't fought in years fighting in a completely different weight class. At least when Chandler was active he was somewhat relevant in terms of the rankings. There's probably 15 other fighters I'd rather see McGregor fight right now. Hell, I've been amazed that Poirier completely no-sells McGregor every time he comes up in a conversation. One somewhat antagonistic tweet from Poirier to McGregor and Chandler gets completely thrown on the trash heap IMO.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

The continued trolling of Chandler continues. I'm not surprised.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
That's a pretty solid card with some fun fights. Rountree is a bit out of nowhere but not sure the other option outside of Ankalaev who they clearly don't favor due to his style and absolutely forgettable title fight vs Jan. Outside of the rematches with hill/Jiri, rountree really the only one on a solid win streak and the fact that he is a striker helped him a lot.

Reactions: I am not exposed

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
Pereira vs Rountree is hilarious. I like Rountree and he's on a 5 fight streak, but against nobodies (and Anthony Smith) and is #8 in the division.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
You've got to be impressed with how often Pereira fights. Really good stuff. He's become one of the biggest names/draws in UFC without speaking any English as well. It's also brilliant how much he lives in Izzy's head rent free. Whilst Pereira is humble and wishes Izzy the best. Izzy always wants Pereira to lose! lol

I certainly didn't see a title fight with Rountree coming, but glad a fight is happening. I can see why they are keeping Ankalaev away from him, even though he is the obvious title candidate.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Jan's right on the money here. I understand it's a business, so if you want to keep Pereira away from Ankalaev I get it. Not that Ankalaev is some world beater, but I think most feel he's the real test at 205. But Rountree? One of the biggest head scratchers in recent memory.

Rountree essentially doesn't have a good win his entire career. Full credit to Pereira for fighting so often, so I guess we can just look at this as a free fight before he gets an actual one early next year.

Jamahal Hill needs to stop. You had your opportunity and got absolutely smoked. You're in no position to complain.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Hill had his 15 seconds on fame, now onto better fighters, hes gonna end up as a gatekeeper.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Jamahal hill loses in PFL he's boring, irrelevant, lame, and annoying. Got a sham title then got predictably destroyed, get lost.

Can't see Pereira losing to Roundtree .

• Haha
Reactions: Taytro

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Wow I hope Francis sparks him now. Def a strategic play by Ferreira to try and get Francis to trade with him as that’s his only real shot

Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad