WC: 2024 IIHF Division IA, Bolzano

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Could have used some of this goals yesterday, but no they decided to try to see if it was possible to shoot on the goalie so much that you punch a hole through him
Might just be that scoring on a half-decent professional goalie like Balizs is legitimately trickier than on the Korean university student.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Might just be that scoring on a half-decent professional goalie like Balizs is legitimately trickier than on the Korean university student.
Don't get me wrong, Balizs has been very solid and made 0 mistakes (which is exactly what you expect from a good goalie) but the only big save he had to make (and he made it, so congratz to him, Clara did not manage to do the same when needed) was in the overtime, the rest was good positioning and great rebound control. Italians failed bad at screening and most of the shots were just hastly thrown to the goal

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If I see that correctly ITA wants Slovenia to win. If Hungary wins Slovenia and Hungary are up. If Sovenia wins there is a two-way or a three-way tie which Italy should win.

Reactions: aquaregia

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
If Slovenia wins in OT Hungary will be promoted instead of Italy i assume since they beat Italy right?

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Part of me would have loved that Romania would have still a chance. :) But nevertheless I have enjoyed this years Division one A and B. In years haven´t had this much time to focus on it.

Sure I may have soft spots for couple of teams, but mainly you are rooting for progress. And it makes it really fun to watch. :)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Even Korea despite Kim #16 being fed to sharks by the coach on the way home did quite a bit to stay up, there wasn't really any terrible team in this group. On the other hand a couple of favorites were somewhat underwhelming despite promotion.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
If Japan defeated Italy in OT, Romania would've been in the driver seat for promotion despite getting outscored by 6 goals and getting outshot by over 110 shots

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Part of me would have loved that Romania would have still a chance. :) But nevertheless I have enjoyed this years Division one A and B. In years haven´t had this much time to focus on it.

Sure I may have soft spots for couple of teams, but mainly you are rooting for progress. And it makes it really fun to watch. :)
I am same.. like to see progress. Now Romanian Ice Hockey might not be making huge strides but this was a great tourney. Great tourney in general.. could take no game for granted.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Hungarian fans make me want to root for them. Awesome noise.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There was a shot of Italian players drinking beers in the 2nd. Not gonna lie, that seemed kinda odd to me under the circumstances. Well, those are sad beers now.

so what's he final verdict here? Hungary up and............?
Slovenia beat both Italy and Romania, both teams they are tied in points with, so they are moving up.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
There was a shot of Italian players drinking beers in the 2nd. Not gonna lie, that seemed kinda odd to me under the circumstances. Well, those are sad beers now.

Slovenia beat both Italy and Romania, both teams they are tied in points with, so they are moving up.
man.. Italy.. that is just so bad to not test themselves at the highest level in 2025.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Well deserved promotion for Hungary and Slovenia, quite sensational tournament for Romania that managed to keep the whole table open until the very last day, pretty disappointing tournament for Italy, specially when it comes to scoring. Japan and Korea put up a good fight, too bad for them that Romania decided to channel their inner Canada.

All in all very fun tournament

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Italy played the whole tournament without coaching staff. Most of the players are overwhelmed at that level, while some other good players were send back home after training camp or even not selected without giving a reason for those controversial decisions.

Reactions: HungryFrank

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Italy played the whole tournament without coaching staff. Most of the players are overwhelmed at that level, while some other good players were send back home after training camp or even not selected without giving a reason for those controversial decisions.
I agree, I think Keenan/Pelino era overall was just a massive flop. They surely gave the team into the wrong hands.

And I mean frankly, is anyone surprised about it? Did anyone really think it was a good idea for Italy to hire Mike Keenan? In 2020s?

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
who would you replace with who?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
who would you replace with who?
Someone like Kai Suikkanen would make sense to me, he was recently coaching in the 2nd Italian league so he obviously has no trouble living and coaching in Italy, his trophy cabinet speaks for itself and he knows the players and realities of the Italian level.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Someone like Kai Suikkanen would make sense to me, he was recently coaching in the 2nd Italian league so he obviously has no trouble living and coaching in Italy, his trophy cabinet speaks for itself and he knows the players and realities of the Italian level.
my bad, meant among players selected

(but I agree with Suikkanen)

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
Do any of you guys know when they usually announce who will be hosting the following year's tournament for D1A? IIHF shows who's hosting until 2028, but only for the top division.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Do any of you guys know when they usually announce who will be hosting the following year's tournament for D1A? IIHF shows who's hosting until 2028, but only for the top division.
Lower divisions are confirmed during the IIHF congress which is usually right after the WC, at the very end of May.

Reactions: GagneHanson12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad