Prospect Info: 2024 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the Devils' #11 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yo no comprendo.
1723670506986.png

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I still don't get it.
Chance to be NHLer is small. Really small. Statistically. You dont need to be smart or dumb, its just statistical reality. Players who are smart enough to play NHL game, who can think the game on NHL speed, are producing better on junior level automatically. We could use Sissons as an example of NHLer, but its a rare example, very rare example, and Sissons was a positional two way player with defensive responsibilities. Filmon is offensive guy with lack of positional vision who is more focusing on finding open spaces for himself. I hope he will learn physical side of the game(he isnt good at it, but still [ptential is there. you know. he is tall) and he will play some kind of bottom scoring role with physical abilities. But its a very best case scenario and everything should go really well. Only "good stickhandling" will not make him NHLer. Like I said - stats saying chances are really small. And he isnt the player of on ice impact that is hiding behind stats.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Chance to be NHLer is small. Really small. Statistically. You dont need to be smart or dumb, its just statistical reality.
and this thread is a poll for the 11th ranked prospect.

Bratt is an NHLer
Coleman is an NHLer
Zetterlund is an NHLer
Joey Anderson is an NHLer
Kevin f***ing Rooney is an NHLer

point being prospects can surprise you and low picks can make it into the NHL

At this point in the ranking it's basically people thinking who has "the stuff" to do something special.

That art you made in the imagine you linked isn't needed and is childish.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Bratt is an NHLer
Coleman is an NHLer
Zetterlund is an NHLer

At this point in the ranking it's basically people thinking who has "the stuff" to do something special.

I dont care about number of the pick.

I care about skills, iq and performance.
If Coleman is a role model for Filmon than he should learn a lot and will take a lot of time.
Overall you named players with better performances or with good enough positional vision. Or both.

Reactions: My3Sons

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
The point that Guadana is making is that despite Filmon's breakout season the year before, he performed worse last year than the year prior. So it's much more likely at this time that the D+1 breakout was a statistical anomaly. His overall stats don't put him in the top 350 of WHL players -- that's not usually a stat line that leads to NHL success.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The point that Guadana is making is that despite Filmon's breakout season the year before, he performed worse last year than the year prior. So it's much more likely at this time that the D+1 breakout was a statistical anomaly. His overall stats don't put him in the top 350 of WHL players -- that's not usually a stat line that leads to NHL success.
i dont think anyone is arguing against that. As was brought up above, we’re talking about guys who are gonna be ranked 12th, 13th, or later in a fan poll. At some point i’m more interested in potential, as dim as it may be, than a prospect who is very likely to be a depth player, because there are ALWAYS depth players and fans tend to overrate their importance to an organization.

Karpovich is a good prospect but if his maximum potential is a third pairing defenseman, i kinda don’t care. Filmon’s 47 goals in 64 games is likely an anomaly, but what if Karpovich’s pretty good season in a Russian junior league was also an anomaly? At this point in the rankings, i’m much more interested in a flash of greatness than consistently average.

Reactions: forceten and Xirik

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
i dont think anyone is arguing against that. As was brought up above, we’re talking about guys who are gonna be ranked 12th, 13th, or later in a fan poll. At some point i’m more interested in potential, as dim as it may be, than a prospect who is very likely to be a depth player, because there are ALWAYS depth players and fans tend to overrate their importance to an organization.

Karpovich is a good prospect but if his maximum potential is a third pairing defenseman, i kinda don’t care. Filmon’s 47 goals in 64 games is likely an anomaly, but what if Karpovich’s pretty good season in a Russian junior league was also an anomaly? At this point in the rankings, i’m much more interested in a flash of greatness than consistently average.

I think there's something to the idea that forwards rarely 'come out of nowhere' but defensemen can because it's harder to guess what a defenseman actually is from stats and perceived usage. Mark Fayne was an afterthought - he was signed after August 15 UFA, which implies that he was out there trying to get a deal from another team but could not - and then ended up playing 50 games in the NHL that year.

I will say that KHL veterans with 3rd pairing upside don't hold much interest for me - these players just so rarely stick around, even if they might've had some use - but Filmon's D+2 is unfortunate. I thought he would do worse than his D+1 - I did not think he would do that much worse.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
but Filmon's D+2 is unfortunate. I thought he would do worse than his D+1 - I did not think he would do that much worse.
His goals were down, but his assists were up. So some balancing of his game. And he scored 7 goals in 9 playoffs games. So he turned on the goal scoring in a big spot.

Was his 44 goal season an outlier? Yes, but he can score goals, that's a strength, and that's a good strength to have.

He's not in my top 10, I'm not even really sure where he lands, but there is some intrigue here. Will need to prove it in the AHL, and in addition to scoring goals, he will need to prove he can do other things the team values. Probably at least a 2 year AHL guy.

Bratt is an NHLer
Coleman is an NHLer
Zetterlund is an NHLer

Ya, outlier's are all over the AHL. Finding them is difficult, but they are not especially rare.

Though I will say, amongst the guys you listed, only Anderson lacked speed. Doesn't sound like that is a strength for Filmon.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
jumping in on the filmon discussion, from what i caught this past season it was a very off and on year from him, so i cant say im surprised to see some pretty split opinions

he got looks at C to open the year, which ill never complain about since it sort of forces a greater investment on the defensive side of things, a bigger playmaking focus, more/longer puck touches, all of which his game would benefit from. he seemed to hit a wall not that long into the season and at some point b/w then and geekie getting dealt there went back to more of a wing deployment

i expected, probably at that point but particularly once geekie entered the fold, that hed get back to form, even if it wasnt quite last seasons form (since, in fairness, he did seem to be trying to expand his game more) but it never really felt like that happened. i dont mean to imply it was all bad, i would still see those big pop off games, i would see more committed backchecking, i would see a greater willingness to move the puck and not just rifle off shots whenever he got it, etc. but it wasnt consistent. some viewings he lacked intensity, made poor/lazy decisions with the puck, and overall just wasnt much of a factor. i even remember seeing some SC fans get a bit fed up with him at the midway point of the season

all of this to say, i think his loaded D+1 goal scoring masked/misrepresented just how raw his game still is, which i dont say negatively for a former 6th rounder, its to be expected. i know he had his fans last camp but it was a bit of a rocky showing imo and a pretty easy decision to send him back in spite of however long he stayed. the off puck anticipation/timing/scoring instincts/release, etc. were all really good as youd expect, but it was more important for him to iron out the rest of his game to have a legitimate pro projection

i still like filmon, and for however raw he may be, i still think the overall potential is pretty darn intriguing, particularly when you factor in that there was genuine intent to round out his game. with that said, though, i dont think i saw consistent/dramatic enough progression to defend him as a top ~14 prospect in the system right now. even just looking at other major junior kids, when we factor in baseline game, progression rate, and so on, someone like squires would absolutely have to be ahead of him and hes barely pulling anything in these polls right now

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
i assume a lot of the Malek/Misyul/Foote votes will pivot to Squires once those first guys are ranked. I’m curious to see which forward gets ranked next, considering we should have a ton more info on how they stack up once training camp is done.

Reactions: My3Sons and evnted

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Poulter's 1-yr contract is his test. If last season was a fluke, he won't get another. However, if he plays the same, or hopefully even improves, the contract will be re-signed for more seasons. If the latter occurs he will become NJ's diamond in the rough smoothing out.

He outplayed both Schmid and Daws in his Utica stretch, but those 2 had the floor so he got sent back to Adirondack, starred in the Thunder playoff drive putting Brodeur and Purpura behind him. Daws and Schmid didn't play well in several starts and the Comets, while undeserving, missed the playoffs by 5 points. 3 more wins and they would have been in. The way he was playing, Poulter just might have been the difference.

Purpura was injured.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Purpura was injured.
That was too bad, but I am confident the playoffs would have become Poulter's anyways. We'll never know though.

Purpura has already moved on. Brodeur and Brennan will, take the ropes. Brennan had better put his game together or his career with the Devils will be in definite jeopardy. The Devils' closet of young goalies with big promise is full. If he is injured again and plays okay when healthy, he's in trouble.

It's time for him to sparkle at the ECHL level or the guys coming in will blow right by him. Poulter already did.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Poulter turns 23 next week and is more in the same window as Daws and Malek in terms of Devils' prospects.

With Brennan turning 21 and having a three-year contract, still see Devils giving him a longer window

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Poulter turns 23 next week and is more in the same window as Daws and Malek in terms of Devils' prospects.

With Brennan turning 21 and having a three-year contract, still see Devils giving him a longer window

Could be, but Daws, Poulter, and Malek will be ahead of him. It will be Daws and Poulter in Utica this season, '24-25.

It will likely be Poulter and Malek 1-2 in Utica next season, '25-26 (that's Brennan's 3rd year of the 3), and Daws will back up Marky. I believe that's the plan for the immediate future.

In 2 more seasons, '26-27, Brennan will need a new contract. It will be a shootout IN NJ. Malek and Poulter will be in line for the backup or shared net with Daws and only one can get the job. The other will be NJ's #3 while playing #1 in Utica.

That's all based upon these 3 keepers living up to expectations and continuing to improve season to season. If they do, Brennan will have to become a miracle worker just to start in Utica at that time. There are 2 other guys from this draft that might be ready by then as well.

At that point NJ will have some valuable commodities to help with the guys they will need to replace/upgrade.

All of this is pure speculation, but it leaves the Devils a lot better off then have been in years between the pipes.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Could be, but Malek and Poulter will be ahead of him. They will be 1-2 in Utica next season (that's Brennaqn's 2nd year of the 3) and Daws will back up Marky. I believe that's the plan for the immediate future. In 2 more seasons (Brennan's #3) it will be a shootout. Malek and Poulter will be in line for the backup or shared net with Daws and only one can get the job. The other will be NJ's #3 while playing #1 in Utica.

That's all based upon these 3 keepers living up to expectations and continuing to improve season to season. If they do, Brennan will have to become a miracle worker just to start in Utica at that time. There are 2 other guys from this draft that will be here by then as well.

At that point NJ will have some valuable commodities to help with the guys they will need to replace/upgrade.

Maybe. Hard for me to see Poulter or Malek ever in the net in New Jersey - barring a complete collapse (or injury) for Daws.

Assuming Yegourov is as good as expected at BU, think he and Brennan compete for the starting job in Utica in 2026-27 (though he could return to college for a sophomore season.

There is also Leehivuora to consider.

Of course, this is all contingent on Fitz and the rest of the front office still being in place.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Maybe. Hard for me to see Poulter or Malek ever in the net in New Jersey - barring a complete collapse (or injury) for Daws.

Assuming Yegourov is as good as expected at BU, think he and Brennan compete for the starting job in Utica in 2026-27 (though he could return to college for a sophomore season.

Of course, this is all contingent on Fitz and the rest of the front office still being in place.
We are both rolling dice on the same crap table and as we have both said it's armchair GMing that is all based simply upon our own speculation. So many things can happen over the next 3 seasons.

As to Poulter or Malek never playing in NJ, who will back up Daws if not one of them in '26-27?
At the moment Yegorov and Louhivaara are only 18. I don't see either of them pushing for and NHL job in '26-27 at 20 years of age.

You see them going out and getting another free agent or trade keeper? It's Poulter or Malek unless they do such

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Brennan should start to be competent before we will start to talk about his future job. He is the worst goalie on his stage with his results. Of course he can break out at pro level. But he didn't before, Poulter already did it. Malek was competent in Liiga.
Draft profile is nothing now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad