GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I do find it amusing people are talking about burying MacDermid in the minors as if that's really gonna happen with a guy Fitz JUST gave a three-year deal. If he is, that was clearly even more of a moronic signing than most of us assumed at the time.
As much as I don’t want this guy on the team at all, the fact that he can be fully buried in the minors with no penalty makes the deal tolerable.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Not sure what they're doing over there between this and Toffoli. I guess I could understand this, especially if it gets them to the cap floor. But Toffoli?

It feels like they're just trying not to finish 32nd again.
I think I understand this one more so than the Toffoli one if for not other reason than Wennberg will play defense, plays center and is only 2 years.

That 5M AAV will never not look hilarious though

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

wait-what-what.gif

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
This is a myth. The same stuff was said before they acquired Toffoli.

Jack and Timo are 40 goal scorers. Nico and Bratt are 30 goal scorers. What more do you want?

They need role players. Depth.

Let's say Jack, Timo, Nico and Brat score that amount.

Jack - 40
Timo - 40
Nico - 30
Bratt - 30

And below estimates based on past few years and potential of Hughes/Nemec.

Mercer - 25

Haula - 15
Noesen - 14
Palat - 10

Cotter - 10
Bastian - 5
Lazar - 7
Hamilton - 20
Pesce - 4
L Hughes - 15
Siegenthalar - 3
Dillon - 5
Nemec - 8

That will get us at 281 goals which will be 10 goals shy of 2022-2023. That would be an excellent amount of goals. However, that's assuming these guys all stay healthy and hit around their expected amount.

Also without one more skilled guy in the top 6, it may cause production to drop in the top 6. We can't afford to have Palat, Foote or Haula in the top 6.

With that said, I don't think Fitz is done. I think he acknowledges this and will add to the top 6.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, I think MacDermid to the minors is off the table. As much as it would excite me.

However, I think there's a real chance any of Bastian, DeSimone and Foote (if he even counts, he's not even signed at the moment) are buried in the minors. If not all of them.

I'm not not even convinced DeSimone was ever gonna be an NHL roster guy unless injuries started happening. Since we re-signed him we've sinceadded 3 more defensemen that weren't here when he was signed (Kovacevic, Pesce, Dillon) and we've only lost one (Marino) in that time. I do think Bahl was already gone by the time we re-signed DeSimone, wasn't he? I believe the Markstrom trade predated that signing by about a week.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I do find it amusing people are talking about burying MacDermid in the minors as if that's really gonna happen with a guy Fitz JUST gave a three-year deal. If he is, that was clearly even more of a moronic signing than most of us assumed at the time.
This is true but at some point the house is going to come down. You can only nickel and dime for so long

Lost:
Pesce
Skej
Turbo
Noesen
Guentzel

On top of already shaky goaltending

That’s tough

Edit:

Add ghostibher

https://twitter.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1807866730120630296?s=46

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I'd feel a lot better if there was one more guy, other than Mercer, who could give you 50 pts in the middle six.
I know ill get shit for this because hes the hated player on this team cause of his contract, but...

If Palat sticks on a line with Nico or Jack hes getting 50 points this year under Keefe

Reactions: Nubmer6

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He had to have like pissed off the entire league at some point or something.
Uh no it's just his last two full years in San Jose >>> his five games with us in terms of his next contract, they really were that bad. But at least Winnipeg gives him a better chance to be relevant next offseason in FA.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is true but at some point the house is going to come down. You can only nickel and dime for so long

Lost:
Pesce
Skej
Turbo
Noesen
Guentzel

On top of already shaky goaltending

That’s tough
I thought for sure they were gonna cap dump Andersen on Chicago or some shit. And they still could, I'm just not sure why they would right now.

If they make the playoffs then he's only gonna torpedo them again like he did against the Rangers. Unless he's sitting in the doctor's office during the playoffs, which very well could be the case, as that's a social club for him at this point.

Reactions: My3Sons

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
It hiliarious that we went from having a lot of skill prospects trying to break into the lineup with only bottom 6 roles available to now having a lot of non-skill prospects trying to break into a lineup with only top6 roles available.

Reactions: NJDevs26

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Liking where the Devils are ending up, overall; far as I'm concerned you can never have too much depth on the blueline, they've added some size (no, won't stop some from taking runs at our top players, but can simply make the Devils tougher to play against in close and tight situations), goaltending should be considerably better, and Fitz clearly does want another solid guy for the top six, so let's see where his aim shifts now that Nashville's done throwing their bags around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad