GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Look at our forward depth a year ago and tell me that it wasn't significantly better than what we have now. There are Tyler Toffoli and Michael McLeod shaped holes in our forward corps, and we're even missing Alex Holtz who -- while he did not pan out -- we certainly began the year hopeful he would perform well. We've effectively replaced those players with Cotter, Noesen, and nobody. You cannot tell me that we're not significantly lacking depth compared to where we were.
1719862483930.png

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
One downside of last season being an absolute disaster is that even though we're a contender on paper, until we actually prove it on the ice it'll be harder to convince UFAs to take below market value to come here and chase a cup.

There's always a few guys that leave some money on the table to sign short-term deals contending teams, Duchene staying in Dallas for $3m/year etc. We're going to need guys like that to fill out the roster in years to come, we absolutely cannot afford to fall flat on our face again this year.

Reactions: My3Sons

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Look at our forward depth a year ago and tell me that it wasn't significantly better than what we have now. There are Tyler Toffoli and Michael McLeod shaped holes in our forward corps, and we're even missing Alex Holtz who -- while he did not pan out -- we certainly began the year hopeful he would perform well. We've effectively replaced those players with Cotter, Noesen, and nobody. You cannot tell me that we're not significantly lacking depth compared to where we were.
We still have Hughes Hischer Bratt and Timo, most teams would kill for that group

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’m definitely right
Only if you aren’t factoring in Timo’s health “on paper”. Without a doubt one of the worst players in the entire sport to start the season. So if you’re including the double knee injuries and whatever else on paper, no, we weren’t better. And if you’re not, it’s purely a semantic argument you’re making because you know damn well we didn’t actually have Timo in the beginning of the season.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Fixating lol.

I'm pointing out that, to me, it looks bad on paper. Generally, I don't give a f*** about a 4th line, I just don't like the current make up.

I think all three are replacement level players, at best.
if we could get an actual 4th line center that would make any of the other guys we already have look better.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'd take a run at Roslovic. I know he pissed everyone off on the Rags but the guy is pretty much everywhere and fits our speed with a little grit thing. Might cost too much for what we get... but.

Wennberg? Kubalik?

In terms of reclaimation - there was a time that I though LaBanc would be something. How far has Yamamoto fallen from being McJesus's linemate? I think I just remember Colin White's and Foudy's name from the first round; I dont' think they've amounted to anything. I don't know anything about Brett Leason except he's huge.

Do we look for super cheap vet to throw on IR all season and bring in at playoff time? If Pavelski or Patches don't retire? Skinner on Jack's wing? Lol.

Moar gRiT?: Can Clutterbuck still run into things? Blais always pissed me off as a Rag. Matt Martin is about three years past his due but I wouldn't mind trotting him out every Rags/Flyers game or something if he came free.

Reactions: Forge and My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
That doesn't mean we didnt get worse on offense

It's tough to say. I'm hoping that we generate more offense from the defensive side. Dougie for a full year, Nemec and Hughes with another year under their belt.

Will be important to not to have Chris Tierney playing double digit minutes.

I think the forward group is worse, but wouldn't surprise me if the team scores more goals this year. But you're really banking hard on bounce back seasons + health.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Michael McLeod shaped hole has a phrasing joke somewhere in there.

But... no there isn't? Going into last season, McLeod was coming off of a career year where he scored (squints) 4 goals in 80 games. Paul Cotter is the McLeod replacement. Adding Holtz and his 4 points in 28 career games to that list is bizarre -- especially when you consider Noesen had 14 goals and 23 assists last season.

Yes, I felt better about our 6th best forward last offseason when it was Toffoli. But the words "significant" and "no doubt" because we went from Toffoli/McLeod to Noesen/Cotter is a bit silly.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think there's no doubt of that, but the defense is considerably better. We really need more depth at forward if we're going to compete.

I think the D is better but I don’t think it’s as big of an upgrade paper wise as people think. Personnel wise I think the forwards are definitely a bigger downgrade than the defense is an upgrade. The biggest thing this year has over last year should be coaching and bounce backs. Keefe should provide a wayyyy better defensive structure. Siegs shouldn’t be as bad as he was. I don’t think Pesce’s better than Marino but I think he’s better than what Marino was last year. Mercer bouncing back isn’t enough to offset the losses up front but it certainly helps since he was so bad

The hope is the defensive environment improvements can offset the brutal forward depth and then you add at the TDL and have Gritsyuk coming in.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
We set a franchise record before Tyler Toffoli - he couldnt be any more pointless to this conversation

Toffoli would not have impressed nearly as much if we were healthy - hed have been our fourth or fifth highest scoring forward

If a Toffoli-sized hole is the supposed issue then sign me up for a President Trophy because thats what we can do without him

Reactions: britdevil

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Michael McLeod shaped hole has a phrasing joke somewhere in there.

But... no there isn't? Going into last season, McLeod was coming off of a career year where he scored (squints) 4 goals in 80 games. Paul Cotter is the McLeod replacement. Adding Holtz and his 4 points in 28 career games to that list is bizarre -- especially when you consider Noesen had 14 goals and 23 assists last season.

Yes, I felt better about our 6th best forward last offseason when it was Toffoli. But the words "significant" and "no doubt" because we went from Toffoli/McLeod to Noesen/Cotter is a bit silly.
I dont think Cotter is the mcleod replacement. I originally thought he was too but I dont think he is a center.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Losing McMoron (allegedly) really hurt them. He had finally started to round out his game and then nothing.
He was the best forward on this team last year. It hurt us more than I think most realize. The way he rounded out the roster and center depth was crucial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad