GDT: 2024 Free Agency - July 1st - 12 P.M.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I know I’m going to cry my way to a 100 plus point season
1719861976709.gif

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think there's no doubt of that, but the defense is considerably better. We really need more depth at forward if we're going to compete.
It also doesn’t really matter at all considering a healthy Jack and Timo make the team incalculably better than the “better on paper” forward group from last year. Timo wasn’t even Timo until halfway through the year. Mercer was also inexplicably bad.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Plenty money. $6.75 right now. Moving on from Bastian gives them an additional 1.35. So 8.1m available. Capfriendly is also currently counting DeSimone and Kovacevik as both on the roster; so free up an additional .775. Call it ~8.9m available.

If Mercer is going to cost ~4m on a short term bridge deal, that's ~5ish they can easily use on another top-6 winger.
I could see DeSimone ending up on waivers after camp and likely making it straight to Utica and playing in the AHL most of the year. Where he's played for 80% (give or take) of his pro career. And none of his money would affect the NHL cap in that case. I think we signed him as insurance before we got some other guys in the meantime, or maybe he was only meant for AHL depth all along. Because like I said, the guy is around 30 years old and has played the vast majority of his pro career in the AHL.

I still maintain Bastian is not locked into a roster spot by us for this coming year. He's signed for this year, but that doesn't mean anything.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Key this year is going to be health. Need big bounce back seasons from Meier and Siegs. Need Mercer to take a jump. I think the D looks solid overall and I think Markstrom will prove to be a massive upgrade over what we've been trotting out there.

Coaching is bigger than health. We still sucked last year after we were getting guys back

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
"No doubt of that" what in the world are you guys talking about lmfao
Look at our forward depth a year ago and tell me that it wasn't significantly better than what we have now. There are Tyler Toffoli and Michael McLeod shaped holes in our forward corps, and we're even missing Alex Holtz who -- while he did not pan out -- we certainly began the year hopeful he would perform well. We've effectively replaced those players with Cotter, Noesen, and nobody. You cannot tell me that we're not significantly lacking depth compared to where we were.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They have to create cap for next season when Luke will need an extension. They probably have to go with a one year stopgap that falls through the cracks to add to the top 6.
I'm only thinking a year ahead here, but next offseason is the year I could see one of Palat or Haula done away with. I'm not gonna bother guessing who, but Palat gets paid more.

I said a bit in advance using this same thinking that I really think one of Marino/Siegs is gone in the offseason. Not many people felt like that would happen.

I think it would actually be more expected that one of Palat or Haula are on the outs around this time next year than one of those two defensemen for this year.

Someone may say that Dougie will be the casualty, and I think that may happen later on, but we're probably at the closest 2 years away from that happening, probably even more like 3. And Dougie is still a more productive player than either Palat/Haula as of this moment. And I don't expect that to change by the end of the 24-25 season.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad