Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft LIVE from the CUBE in RENO

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
That wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense with Bichsel in the system. There was a time when Button seemed to have vague connections within the team but not sure that's the case anymore.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
That wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense with Bichsel in the system. There was a time when Button seemed to have vague connections within the team but not sure that's the case anymore.

I don't know, I'd be reasonably content with Elick. Decent value and we lack right handed shots. What positions or archetypes do you think they'd go for?

Reactions: Dallasman

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
My hunch would be that they're going to draft a center. With Borkoven graduating next year the pool is heavily slanted toward D at the moment.

The highest they've drafted a winger currently playing wing in the modern era is Albin Eriksson at 44th in 2018. I just don't think that's really on their radar philosophically unless it's such a no-brainer they can't pass it up. I think the Stars believe you start with guys who know how to play center/take faceoffs and then they can always be put elsewhere if need be down the line professionally.

Reactions: Ghost of Kyiv

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
My hunch would be that they're going to draft a center. With Borkoven graduating next year the pool is heavily slanted toward D at the moment.

The highest they've drafted a winger currently playing wing in the modern era is Albin Eriksson at 44th in 2018. I just don't think that's really on their radar philosophically unless it's such a no-brainer they can't pass it up. I think the Stars believe you start with guys who know how to play center/take faceoffs and then they can always be put elsewhere if need be down the line professionally.

yeah that’s why I listed Cole Beaudoin in fellas club

Seems like a lock for Dallas in that range

Reactions: Johno

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Forwards in our range that interest me:
Jett Luchanko -- always impressed me when I watched London play Guelph this season. Great skater, great effort, great skill.
Marek Vanacker -- haven't seen too much of him, but he impressed when I have. I always like to look for players that can carry a team as a 17 year old and Vanacker cleared the next closest player on his team by 16 points.
Teddy Stiga -- We never seem to take USNTDP players, but I always love shorter players with a high motor and game sense (Stankoven/Cowan/Barkey)

Reactions: piqued

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'd prefer a center to wing all else being equal. Luchanko is my favorite, him and Beaudoin are both in the "sprint to the podium" category if they're available. Boisvert would be good too, Letourneau is the only center I'd really like to avoid, thankfully Dallas has trended away from that style of pick a bit.

Teddy Stiga was my favourite American at the U18s, but I'm doing my best to stay away from 5'10" non-elite skating wingers. He'd be more of a fall back for me.

@Starry Knight
Thoughts on Sam O'Reilly? Seemed like a excellent hockey player when I've seen him, just a little slow for 29th overall. See anything I might've missed?

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I'd prefer a center to wing all else being equal. Luchanko is my favorite, him and Beaudoin are both in the "sprint to the podium" category if they're available. Boisvert would be good too, Letourneau is the only center I'd really like to avoid, thankfully Dallas has trended away from that style of pick a bit.

Teddy Stiga was my favourite American at the U18s, but I'm doing my best to stay away from 5'10" non-elite skating wingers. He'd be more of a fall back for me.

@Starry Knight
Thoughts on Sam O'Reilly? Seemed like a excellent hockey player when I've seen him, just a little slow for 29th overall. See anything I might've missed?

If we traded back into the back half of the second, I wouldn't mind O'Rielly. Dale Hunter does a good job of rounding out players well, and O'Rielly is no exception. A lot of versatility, but I don't know if he has the speed to create space for himself to be an impact player.

I could easily see a bottom six role player (Radek Faksa?), but I much prefer high-skill lottery tickets in the first round.

Reactions: Ghost of Kyiv

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Forwards in our range that interest me:

Marek Vanacker -- haven't seen too much of him, but he impressed when I have. I always like to look for players that can carry a team as a 17 year old and Vanacker cleared the next closest player on his team by 16 points.

I will say if they do buck the trend and go wing, Vanacker is a very Dallas Stars pick.

If you squint there are even some Jamie Benn similarities in terms of his posture/stride/disposition/physicality.

What do all the recent successful CHL forward picks (Robertson/Johnston/Stankoven/Bourque) have in common other than general hockey sense/IQ? They're terrors for the opposition in the puck hounding/recovery aspect. Might be a common thread to finding who the scouts like.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
<Insert Troy's pre-"Suter will never be scratched" tagline here>
The "BPA is a lie" was more directed to the NFL fans who buy the BPA nonsense GMs spit out to dodge answering questions about draft priorities. No NFL team has or ever will draft only by BPA, but NFL fans and media treat BPA like it's a religion.

The same is also true to a lesser degree for the NHL. I mean, if the top player on Nill's board every time the Stars are up to pick is a left-handed defenseman, I can promise Nill isn't leaving the draft having only drafted left-handed D-men.

Reactions: piqued and LT

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Miettinen would be a solid pick as well.

I don't see him as a center at the next level though. LW who can step in and take draws (which we know the Stars like). You can actually draw some comparisons with his playstyle to Mason Marchment. Kind of a quasi-pest who will go to the net and be a nuisance. Could be a counterweight to having too many undersized forwards down the line.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
There are so many options to go with at 29 that I would just trade back for 2 2nds unless someone really falls.

Dallas has taken 5 players from Kamloops since Gaglardi took over. There's a RD projected to go late 1st round-mid 2nd round named Harrison Brunicke.

He could potentially be a steal. Especially if he breaks out next season.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
There are so many options to go with at 29 that I would just trade back for 2 2nds unless someone really falls.
There's an argument to be made that trading back this year could potentially get you more value than usual with teams' desire to be part of the 'spectacle'

Reactions: LT

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Wagers: 4