Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft LIVE from the CUBE in RENO

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Watching that scouting report, I really do wonder if playing in the Liiga could be a detriment to him. Hemming seems to stick to the perimeter when overmatched, and if he can't develop the habit of attacking the middle it may seriously limit him.

Although, the biggest hurdle might simply be some skating improvements (agility in particular), so he can have the ability to have his feet keep up with his hands.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Side note: It's crazy how good Finnish kids' English is now. They can all speak fluently before even coming over. Last generation it would take like 5 years of being in NA before you would even try to interview them

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Just watched this video.

His conclusion on Hemming:

- 3rd line player at the NHL level.
- Doesn't believe his offensive potential is high enough for a top 6 role
- Skating is okay
- Not a physical player
- Not the type of depth player you see on Cup winning teams
- Playmaking ability is lacking
- Stays on the perimeter of the ice so his shots usually come from the perimeter
- Defensive ability/hustle is solid
- looks better against his peers but looked out of place at times vs men

Mostly very similar things to what Pronman said unfortunately. Hopefully they can work with him to fix these parts of his game

Reactions: LT

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Just watched this video.

- Skating is okay
- Not a physical player
- Stays on the perimeter of the ice so his shots usually come from the perimeter

Mostly very similar things to what Pronman said unfortunately. Hopefully they can work with him to fix these parts of his game

Looks like it comes down to a mindset and skating problem with him. Depending on the personality, that can either be fixable or hopeless. Watching that video, it's painfully obvious that he's a perimeter player when challenged and he needs to be pushed to overcome that.

It's not like he plays scared in the corners, so it's not entirely a shying away from contact issue. His skating does look awkward and not being able to dart into empty space is going to seriously limit his ability to get any sort of shot off.

At the end of the day, not everyone can be a superstar. Even if he doesn't fix those issues, he could still be useful on a team with a lot of players that excel with the puck on their stick in the offensive zone (e.g. Robertson, Johnston, Stankoven, Bourque). If he can execute retrievals, hand off the puck, and get open, then Hemming should be able to provide value.

Honestly, sounds a lot like Kasper Halttunen. Frustrating player that eventually became useful this season when he learned to focus on becoming a one-timer robot for Easton Cowan and Denver Barkey.

Reactions: LT and piqued

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
There are some slight JRob parallels here too, even though we talked about them earlier with Greentree.

Robertson's shot was always noted as just being difficult, for whatever reason, for goalies to get a clear read on. It wasn't later until Robertson had a man's body that he started going through people and being a physical presence on the ice. Can you get to where you're going? Do you know what to do when you get there? I think that's how Takko and co. are looking at this. And Kari's fingerprints are all over this pick.

Reactions: LT and redbeardtx

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
There was a lot less yammering on the stage this year. I could not give less of a shit about seeing a GM congratulating other teams or saying hello to their draft party back at >insert sponsored arena name here<. There was still some, but it was a big improvement over years past.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Just watched this video.

- Skating is okay
- Not a physical player

I didn’t watch the video yet but the conclusions you posted seem to almost be the opposite of the scouting report posted earlier.

3rd line player? Other report made it sound like top 6 or bust.

Defensive ability and hustle solid? Other report said these areas were his biggest weakness and huge red flags.

Some of the other stuff you posted is pretty similar to the other scouting report, but the two things I put above really stand out as being the complete opposite of what was said in the other scouting report.

From the extremely limited reading I’ve done, I am very happy with this pick. High end skill with possibly the best shot in the draft that would put him in the top of the draft if it weren’t for the red flags in his defensive ability and hustle. Defense can always be improved. Hustle can also improve and his apparent lack of hustle may have something to do with being 17 and playing against men.

Far from a lock to make the NHL, but if he does make it sounds like his floor would be second line winger that excels on the Power Play. Ceiling of first line winger that has a one timer worthy of being a main weapon of a PP. I’ll take that over someone that is a guaranteed third liner with a ceiling of second liner at this part of the draft.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
this happens every year. youd think something like speed would be easy to pinpoint.

I blame lazy scouting reports. Good skating = fast, bad skating = slow, etc. Hemming to me is a super fluid skater; seems like he has the edgework to move better east/west but not the mind for it yet. Not amazing top speed, but he reaches it quickly and overall I'd call it an asset. Nowhere near Robertson (!).

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Found one game with Muhonen from the Five Nations tournament. Only 12 minutes of ice time but I'm in love at first sight.

He's really fast and athletic for a 6'4" defenseman. He threw a good amount of body checks, there was an off balance one-timer that he got off. Seems like he looks to make plays rather than take the easy dump outs. That has downsides, he made a tremendously bone-headed play in his own zone where he made a blind pass to no one directly into the slot. Reminds me of early career Tyler Myers, he's like a mini chaos girrafe. Seems like he's light years away from the NHL, but getting someone with top-4 tools late in round 5 is a lot of fun.

• Love
Reactions: LT and joshik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad