GDT: 2024 draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
My son was still watching and complaining non stop about how long it was taking to do this.. too much time wasting…. Then it gets to our pick and he yells at the tv “why did they go to a commercial?” Then he says some bad words about how he sat there for hours and they just traded the pick?

He is HOT right now and I’m trying so hard not to laugh….
I'm with your son on this. We just need to stop doing this shit. Our system is so deep that kids are withering on the vine and we're selling them for 7ths right before their rights expire.

There is no reason to be trading down. We should have been bundling picks to move up this draft.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
lol i was worried there , thought Woody Allen traded 2 of our 2nd pick for #32 , i was gonna WTF

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Geez.

The Charlotte Hornets turned down some of the Celtics picks they acquired from the Brooklyn Nets as part of that Garnett/Pierce trade. At least one of those picks was used on Jayson Tatum.

That's a bad decision by the Jackets. And honestly Chicago should be thankful they said no.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
DW should have done that. Chicago isn’t going to be good next season.

Goes back to my point about NHL organizations being too risk-averse sometimes. I mean, there's a possibility that Chicago is better next season, but it's not a great chance that they go lower than 4th overall.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Hope no Canes fans went to the draft tonight. Man that would suck to plan a trip out to LV to see the draft at the Sphere, then we don’t even make a pick in the first round.

Looking forward to discussing some actual hockey tomorrow though.

Reactions: ck26

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Canes have 10 picks tomorrow. I wouldn't be shocked if the Canes trade down for even more. Remember what they did in the COVID super-unknown 2021 draft: they traded down three or four times and got themselves a total of 13 picks. They got Morrow, Heimosalmi, Koivunen, Blake, Robidas, and Nystrom as guys deemed worthy of ELCs. That's a pretty strong mix of a potential top-4 D, a key trade chip in the Guentzel deadline blockbuster, and a bunch of role player crapshoots.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Cbus was doing just fine keeping the prospect they wanted instead of trading for a mystery box of….another prospect. Not to mention they’re starting fresh with a new gm and high pick and they’re going to leave without a top prospect or a player? If the pick doesn’t end up being the first overall pick they’ve waited a year to get basically the same level prospect. Or less.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Hope no Canes fans went to the draft tonight. Man that would suck to plan a trip out to LV to see the draft at the Sphere, then we don’t even make a pick in the first round.

Looking forward to discussing some actual hockey tomorrow though.
I live in Las Vegas and got a free ticket (good seat too!) but it was definitely a Linus From Charlie Brown Dragging His Blanket moment when the Canes traded down. In approximately 2014, I picked up an #HCanes polo from the Hibbett Sports in Fayetteville, and today was, like, the 3rd time I've worn it.

Cool event, the Sphere is a spectacular venue. The video screen is actually thousands of little LED screens, and I found myself counting (I saw 4 total) screens that were burned out and needed to be replaced. I can only imagine the ladder / bungee cord system they use for maintenance workers to get to all the parts of the screen.

Didn't see any other #HCanes fans there, but got some sympathy high fives from the crowd after 27 was dealt.

Eiserman and Emery both had 20+ person fanclubs near me. I actually watched one Piles fan swap his blank back Islanders jersey for one of the custom Eiserman t-shirts the group was wearing. Seems like a bad deal financially, but whatever, he seemed happy. And Piles fans are bad at math.

peanuts-linus-van-pelt-security-blanket.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
True, but on the other hand, any Canes fan should have anticipated that it was a strong possibility that the Canes trade back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad