GDT: 2024 draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

27. Carolina Hurricanes (Pick by Bultman): Yegor Surin, C, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

The Hurricanes have drafted a lot of skill in recent years, and here they complement those picks by adding a competitive center in Surin, who is no slouch offensively, either — he finished third in MHL playoff scoring, trailing only Demidov and 20-year-old Vladislav Romanov. Surin is also one of the youngest players in this class, and while there was some temptation to pick Emery here to keep the Hurricanes’ blue line cupboard stocked, Surin stood out as a great fit in Carolina.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've been trying to read up on the draft some since we were knocked out. It seems like one of those years where it will be difficult to pick which guys might be available at our pick. I feel like last year we had a pretty good handle on it. I guess it might start to become more clear over the next few weeks.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

33. Egor Surin, C (Yaroslavl, MHL)​

Surin was a man on a mission throughout the MHL playoffs, only getting outpaced by Ivan Demidov. He played great during the second half, where it seemed like he was more in control of his own body and not trying to hit guys for the sake of throwing a hit. Discipline can still be an issue at points, but he’s so skilled with a great shot and quick hands. If Surin can put everything together consistently without trying to get too cute with the puck, he’ll be a steal. The upside is real here.

I've been trying to read up on the draft some since we were knocked out. It seems like one of those years where it will be difficult to pick which guys might be available at our pick. I feel like last year we had a pretty good handle on it. I guess it might start to become more clear over the next few weeks.
seems like a prime year to trade down as guys will drop if a certain position starts going quickly and other teams reach so they dont miss on their guy at that position.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

seems like a prime year to trade down as guys will drop if a certain position starts going quickly and other teams reach so they dont miss on their guy at that position.
I've been thinking about that as well. Seems like a lot of fairly similar guys from like 20 to the late second. I'd be fine with that outcome.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
some interesting prospects:

29. Charlie Elick, RHD (Brandon, WHL)​

The team that drafts Elick is getting someone with size, physicality and good defensive zone awareness. Offense? Nope, although he’s got better abilities with the puck than some might give him credit for. Elick moves well for a 6-foot-3 defenseman just shy of 200 pounds and many WHL players consider him one of the toughest defensemen to beat in 1-on-1 situations.
we have a lot of OFD in the pipleline.

If we trade down
Lucas Pettersson C
Alfons Freij LHD
Sam O'Reilly C

seem like decent candidates for early / mid 2nd round picks.

Reactions: zman77 and Chan790

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
We don't have a 2nd, so it's likely we trade our 1st for 2 later 2nd or 2nd + 3rd
Per cap friendly, for next 3 years we are only missing 2 3rds and a 5th. We have 3 6th round picks this year too (albeit so what):

1717093343376.jpeg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Some of you in the past have accurately predicted some of the eventual 2nd to 7th round picks, so who from that range should I start looking up on YouTube?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

Some interesting Russian overagers in the 2nd tier.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Some interesting Russian overagers in the 2nd tier.

When's the last time an overager panned out? Doesn't seem like they're usually good bets in the draft.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I would have to refresh my draft eligibility knowledge. He is a late july 1998 baby. So he was a month short of 19 when he was drafted in 2017.
I thought he was eligible to be drafted and wasn't the year before. Or am I misunderstanding what the term Overager means?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I thought he was eligible to be drafted and wasn't the year before. Or am I misunderstanding what the term Overager means?
If he was August, he would have been eligible the previous draft. So you've got it.

You have to be 18 by September 15, not by the day of the draft. Basically, will you be 18 when the season starts.

Anyway, two decent examples. I was remembering us selecting an overager the year after Aho who went nowhere, but looking it up it was Janne Kuokkanen, who did make the NHL even if his career was pretty unspectacular.

Still, on balance I do like selecting younger players rather than older players- Aho was quite young and only went in the 2nd round because the sample size in the top league was limited- because he was so young- and FUS was the youngest player picked in the draft and looks like he's going to be another home run. Seems like any player who's going to be a legitimate impact guy is going to show *something* by their draft year, even if they might be too young or green to be picked at the top of the draft. Goalies like Kooch, of course, being voodoo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad