2024 Draft Thread

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Idk. Depends on what round those high ceiling dart throws are being taken. By the time to get to rounds 6 and 7, high ceiling is a serviceable depth player at the NHL. Every now and then someone like Rinne, Erat, and Datsyuk come around but that is extremely rare.

I like where our draft picks are this draft though.
1st x 1
2nd x 3
3rd x 2
4th x 2
7th x 1

That's pretty front loaded. Wouldn't mind an earlier 1st round pick or getting a second 1st round pick but it depends on cost.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
New Jersey and San Jose are the two teams I could see trading an early to mid first round pick ... Devils to get a goalie, Sharks to get a quality veteran to help mold Celebrini, Smith, Graf and get them comfortably above the cap floor. If we have the right pieces for a deal with either of them in the real world, not HF fantasy land, is a question that remains open (Nyquist, Sissons, Saros, Tomasino, McCarron, Smith, Fabbro, #22 overall, 2nd round picks, next year's draft capital are all potential pieces of a trade package depending who we are trading with and how much risk Trotz is willing to take on the top line and between the pipes).

Getting into the top 14 puts the team in position for a Central Scouting top ten NA / top five international skater and if we can trade up while maintaining the #22 overall we have flexibility for more of a flyer pick on a guy projected to be off the board before we own the 50s this year (3 picks between 53-59).

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Idk. Depends on what round those high ceiling dart throws are being taken. By the time to get to rounds 6 and 7, high ceiling is a serviceable depth player at the NHL. Every now and then someone like Rinne, Erat, and Datsyuk come around but that is extremely rare.

I like where our draft picks are this draft though.
1st x 1
2nd x 3
3rd x 2
4th x 2
7th x 1

That's pretty front loaded. Wouldn't mind an earlier 1st round pick or getting a second 1st round pick but it depends on cost.

I wish one of those 2nd or 3rd rounders was in the first half of the round. We're at the tail end of each with 53, 55, 59, 87, 94.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think it's likely we end up with Beaudoin, Emery or Luchanko come draft day. Our scouts have always over-appreciated the U18's and all of those guys had great showings there.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Emery kid seems like a player to me. His frame could almost instantly add 10lbs. He's hyper athletic as well.
Good skater, athletic, good frame and right handed shot
Yeah, he has some enticing tools for sure.

Just no offensive upside whatsoever, and I do wonder if one of the main reasons he dominated at the U18's was that he was so far ahead in physical development as others. When others catch up, how effective will he be ultimately?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Emery to Nashville, in Athletic's latest Mock Draft. Hardly a "swing for the fences" for Trotz' pick but so far, he has been all talk with that mentality so this pick would fit the bill.

NHL Staff Mock Draft 2.0: Celebrini is No. 1, but where do Levshunov, Silayev, Demidov land?
I really like the idea of our team stocking up on bigger D prospects. It sounds like Emery is the one with the better physical tools, and that while Elick has some Weber-esque traits in his game, his puck-handling skills are so bad that he's more of a reach. Anyway, it's not for me to pick and choose between the guys since I don't watch prospect hockey at all anymore... but I do trust our organization when it comes to picking defensemen. It sure seems like they knocked it out of the park with Molendyk last year, despite our initial surprise and some of the other forward names that were on the board who we had spent more time talking about.

I think we have a lot of "secondary" forward prospects in the pipeline now. If there isn't a guy available who you think has potential to be a true 1st line star, then I'm more comfortable loading up on D. Ultimately, if we picked 5 D with our first 5 picks, then I would be pretty comfortable believing we could develop most of them into NHLers, and that eventually that depth could be parlayed into talent elsewhere in the lineup (a la Jones, Girard trades) if need be.

Such a cynical take on the draft, I know. But that's where these past few years have left me. :(

Reactions: originalpredfan

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah, he has some enticing tools for sure.

Just no offensive upside whatsoever, and I do wonder if one of the main reasons he dominated at the U18's was that he was so far ahead in physical development as others. When others catch up, how effective will he be ultimately?
Shea Weber had 18 points the year he was drafted, and had no offensive upside what's so ever.
Emery to Nashville, in Athletic's latest Mock Draft. Hardly a "swing for the fences" for Trotz' pick but so far, he has been all talk with that mentality so this pick would fit the bill.

NHL Staff Mock Draft 2.0: Celebrini is No. 1, but where do Levshunov, Silayev, Demidov land?
Trotz has talked about having to take higher risk guys to get that special talent, he did exactly that with Wood, IMHO.
He also went off board with Molendyk, and that seems to be the wise choice now.

Reactions: 101st_fan

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
It seems like HIFK is going into the seaon with Vinni as their backup. Their #1 Roope Taponen hasn't been that convincing despite his relatively good numbers, so it's going to be interesting to see how he fares in mens league (assuming they don't sign another goalie).

Vinni hasn't apparently been too convincing either outside that one tournament, which apparently raised his stock. I haven't watched him play myself, thought.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
7 round mock on The Athletic

22. Trevor Connelly, LW, Tri-City (USHL)
53. John Mustard, C, Waterloo (USHL)
55. Leon Muggli, D, Zug (SWISS)
59. Aron Kiviharju, D, Hifk (FINLAND)
87. Max Plante, LW, Usa U-18 (NTDP)
94. Riley Patterson, C, Barrie (OHL)
99. Luke Osburn, D, Youngstown (USHL)
119. Lauri Sinivuori, C, Hifk Jr. (FINLAND-JR.)

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

There are some big dmen project3d around our 2nd round pick area. Wouldnt be shocked to draft a C in the 1st then load up on dmen in the 2nd and go gold hunting in the 3rd and 4th

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
At this point we should just say eff it and go defense across the board in the second round.

It's been 25 years and the only second round forwards that we've developed are Adam Hall, Nick Spaling, Miika Salomaki, Pontus Aberg, Colton Sissons, Yakov Trenin and Luke Evangelista.

Pitiful.

We can't develop offense for shit at that spot, let's lean into our bread and butter. Draft defense and trade it for established offense later should be our MO.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
At this point we should just say eff it and go defense across the board in the second round.

It's been 25 years and the only second round forwards that we've developed are Adam Hall, Nick Spaling, Miika Salomaki, Pontus Aberg, Colton Sissons, Yakov Trenin and Luke Evangelista.

Pitiful.

We can't develop offense for shit at that spot, let's lean into our bread and butter. Draft defense and trade it for established offense later should be our MO.
I agree. Unless there's a guy like Connelly available at 22, I'd almost suggest taking a defenseman in the 1st round as well.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Pitiful.

I'd sure take a repeat of 2003s second round

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Scott Wheeler's final 2 round mock:

22: EJ Emery RHD, USNTDP
53: Leon Muggli LHD, EV Zug
55: Julius Miettinin C, Everet Silvertips
59: Aron Kivaharju LHD, HIFK

Reactions: Scoresberg

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Been looking over prospects a lot lately. I dunno guys… I feel like when we pick if Dean Letourneau is available and we don’t pick him I will be prettt disappointed. 6’7” centre with major skill?? *wipes drool*

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Scott Wheeler's final 2 round mock:

22: EJ Emery RHD, USNTDP
53: Leon Muggli LHD, EV Zug
55: Julius Miettinin C, Everet Silvertips
59: Aron Kivaharju LHD, HIFK
Honestly wouldnt be terribly upset with that. I like Emery and though id prefer a center... he is a solid choice and fits an organizational need as well.

Aron Kivaharju sounds like anothrr LHD Molendyk type dman so in not sure if id target him but if he is still available that late into the 2nd round he is definitely a high payoff type player.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

Wasn’t Mustard a higher rated prospect at one time?

Reactions: You

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad