2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Then I would trade 45 for 178 and 212 and 241
Now that is to much lol

31st vs 45th will give similar time frame prospects. Guys 3-5 years away

Having pick 58 + 70 gives you reasonable shot at a nhler.

Our 2nd rounders have some nhl players produced in robertson and knies

Both of them are similar value and likely more valuable players than Sandin and Lilijgren are/were at 28OA and 17OA

Reactions: Racer88

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Letourneau is way too passive at his size, maybe if he finds another gear he can be that guy but watching some of his full game clips, I don’t see him becoming a top 6 guy. He’s got skill, but he’s a big project.
He'd be wrecked by PIM at the level with that size, but I get what you're saying

Love his skating, size, and hands combo

Reactions: francis246

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
This year the guy they wanted was gone. But. at this level Beaudoin and or an Elick ?

This is fair, and I don't mind it this year as the team seriously needs to replenish the picks cupboard.

Would like to see them be the ones targeting a guy and move up a few picks to do it. I've been hoping for that for years.

Reactions: Al14

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We’ve gotten burned on this just about every time we’ve done it. It would be one thing if all our guys were gone at the pick and we only had 5’9 playmaking wingers to pick from, but the most physical D in the draft that looks like a safe bet for at least a #4 was there at our pick, same with a 6’3 middle 6 shutdown center with a power game.

If there’s a roster trade for the 58 pick and we still get one of Wes’s top guys at 31 it’s whatever but if we just take our 3-4th favorite guy in the range at 31 and then a longterm project at 58 then it’s a waste.

Welcome to the NHL draft. You might have your basic understanding and players you like but the Leafs and every other team watched every player walking on the stage and have their own reasonings to do what they do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You can stand pat and fail, you can move up and fail, you can move down and fail.

Just because the player you liked was not picked doesn't meant it's a failure. Just because it wasn't great with previous regimes doesn't mean this won't be a good move to make.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Depending on who you ask... maybe the Hawks offered the Leafs this package and the Leafs thought that at 31 their guy would be there but 3 picks later, maybe not.

You can assign value to picks each draft, but the pick changes in value based on what team you offer it to.
If we made this trade it would not have been as good as we would have moved down more spots.

But Carolina got better value for their pick than we did for ours.

Reactions: Al14

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not that I’m always a fan of moving back I do find it amusing that now it’s an organizational thing and not a Dubas thing with him gone :laugh:

In this case they get a second back which is a big help for the cupboards.

Moreover I think Clarke should get some benefit of the doubt here with having input on moving back.

Let’s see what he does

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nah. As someone who heavily scouted his draft and worked ~15 NYR games this season I can confidently say he's still got the same issues that plagued him in juniors. Guys like him who's brain doesn't work at the right speed in juniors and who's puck skills trail behind their peers rarely if ever improve enough to make an impact at the NHL level. It's made even worse when you go to arguably the worst developmental organization in the league that essentially threw him so far in the deep end immediately he never was able to improve on what he was lacking to be an impact NHL player.
Well fair enough, but he was never a offensive dynamo in Brandon. He's a Cernak or a Pesce and without the right development it's not a good spot. Let's see at 24 or 25 before we give him the bust label.

Reactions: Morgs

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
ORielly
Emery
Elick
Pulkkinen
Chernyshov
Lots of solid options!

If you told me before the draft we somehow traded 23 and got two of the above, I’d be ecstatic

Reactions: KMNRB

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He'd be wrecked by PIM at the level with that size, but I get what you're saying

Love his skating, size, and hands combo

Oh absolutely, he’d be getting head principal point of contact all the time. I like that he is a good skater and has great hands as well. I think if Boston and BU can get him to play physical and not lose the scoring touch he could be a problem for years to come.

Will be interesting to see him against top talent in the NCAA or if he goes to the USHL next year.

Reactions: Sypher04

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I hope we reach on Noel Fransen because he's gonna make people freak out and he's ridiculously good.

Also, can someone explain why Cole Hutson hasn't gone yet

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad