2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wanted solberg but I also figured they'd go off the board and trade down.

Let's see what they do with the late 1st... and now with a 2nd. I like it personally.

Wes has at least 2 guys he figures are a lock at 31 still and I'll trust that.

Plus we have a second now.

Wes is a future gm maybe.

I think O'Reilly is a good bet. Greentree still kicking too. Plenty of solid D as well

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I think the return on their first was a tad bit light (would like liked another 4th maybe - in this year or next), but not much to cry over. They need picks. Getting an additional 2nd is helpful for a team that had 3 picks last year.
Kind of agree. Compared to 2011, Leafs paid 30 + 39 to move up 8 spots.

Reactions: chamchibap

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The kid they brought to Toronto and spent a ton of time interviewing was available and they gave him to Anaheim, someone somewhere made a mistake. Either he wasn’t worth bringing to Toronto if you give him up for basically an early 3rd or you should have taken him.

If every pick after #5 is a random gamble why bother having a scouting staff? Just use Bob’s top 32 and call it a day. If we’re spending millions on a bloated scouting staff I would hope they’re not just throwing darts at a board and hoping for the best. Either Stolberg raised some red flags when they brought him in or they got desperate to make the “safe” play.

I dunno why we are now saying it's an early 3rd. Its a 2nd round pick they got. It's a move made every draft.

It's not that deep or complicated. Making it a dramatic thing is really something else.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Way too harsh

He's 22, they have handled his development well he should be in the AHL and not there to get the play clean up for Fox or Trouba.
Nah. As someone who heavily scouted his draft and worked ~15 NYR games this season I can confidently say he's still got the same issues that plagued him in juniors. Guys like him who's brain doesn't work at the right speed in juniors and who's puck skills trail behind their peers rarely if ever improve enough to make an impact at the NHL level. It's made even worse when you go to arguably the worst developmental organization in the league that essentially threw him so far in the deep end immediately he never was able to improve on what he was lacking to be an impact NHL player.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I really dislike the Leafs strategy of moving back every. single. year. I wish just once they'd target someone higher and move up to get their guy instead of trying to be smarter than everyone else and picking the scraps from other teams.

Who says they aren't getting their guy?

Cowan seemed to be their guy last year and they wanted to trade down for him.

They still took him as a reach and it seems to be working out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad