2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Fully agreed... the need is C's and D's at this point. I have no issue with taking Goalies with later round picks though. With Woll (who hopefully finds health), Hildeby and Akhtiamov looking good, the G position is less of an issue.

""

View attachment 888030

That ranking is literally a joke. Half the names are made up. Dick Damage should be a problem tho

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
I was thinking, if Emery were to be our guy, maybe we should trade back and get more picks for him because a lot of scouting services have him ranked in the second round.
Between finding a willing dance partner and him not being taken by the time our pick is made, I would much rather just get our guy in the first round if he is indeed our guy.

Reactions: francis246

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

But none of that matters to Clark. He and his team value studying film over in-person scouting in a way many teams do not. Intangibles matter to them. Clark is well-versed in thinking far outside the box, regardless of public perception. Clark wants to draft winners. He values competitiveness that manifests in an intense internal drive within players.

With that in mind, players like Jett Luchanko and Michael Brandsegg-Nygard stick out as possibilities, but I wonder if they fall to the Leafs when their pick comes at No. 23.

“Many of our scouting staff, I think for Wes for sure because we also talk about it, want players who have a deep belief in themselves. People can say it’s confidence, bordering on cocky, but you want the player that really has that because they’re not going to shy away from those big moments,” Leafs assistant general manager, player development, Hayley Wickenheiser told The Athletic when asked about Cowan.

Skill and intelligence are going to be obvious components within players that are drafted, but that skill will manifest in different ways. Cowan, for example, is a remarkably skilled penalty killer and Minten’s skill is reflected in how detail-oriented he is on and off the puck.

“There’s lots of factors that go into (intelligence),” Clark said. “Ultimately, it’s doing the things that help teams win hockey games.”

And this shouldn’t be seen as a blanket statement, but size feels like more of a priority in the first Leafs draft GM Brad Treliving will be heavily involved in.

Don’t be surprised if the Leafs target a defenceman at 23, either.

“If all things equal out, we’d probably take the bigger player,” Clark said.

If we’re using the last two years as a guide, Clark and the Leafs also look for players who have come on strong late in their draft year, especially in the playoffs. The player may then have gone overlooked by many teams throughout the season. They may then be beginning their ascent in their development curve. They also have a demonstrated ability to raise their game when it matters.

Reactions: KMNRB and WTFMAN99

weems

Jul 3, 2008

But none of that matters to Clark. He and his team value studying film over in-person scouting in a way many teams do not. Intangibles matter to them. Clark is well-versed in thinking far outside the box, regardless of public perception. Clark wants to draft winners. He values competitiveness that manifests in an intense internal drive within players.

With that in mind, players like Jett Luchanko and Michael Brandsegg-Nygard stick out as possibilities, but I wonder if they fall to the Leafs when their pick comes at No. 23.

“Many of our scouting staff, I think for Wes for sure because we also talk about it, want players who have a deep belief in themselves. People can say it’s confidence, bordering on cocky, but you want the player that really has that because they’re not going to shy away from those big moments,” Leafs assistant general manager, player development, Hayley Wickenheiser told The Athletic when asked about Cowan.

Skill and intelligence are going to be obvious components within players that are drafted, but that skill will manifest in different ways. Cowan, for example, is a remarkably skilled penalty killer and Minten’s skill is reflected in how detail-oriented he is on and off the puck.

“There’s lots of factors that go into (intelligence),” Clark said. “Ultimately, it’s doing the things that help teams win hockey games.”

And this shouldn’t be seen as a blanket statement, but size feels like more of a priority in the first Leafs draft GM Brad Treliving will be heavily involved in.

If we’re using the last two years as a guide, Clark and the Leafs also look for players who have come on strong late in their draft year, especially in the playoffs. The player may then have gone overlooked by many teams throughout the season. They may then be beginning their ascent in their development curve. They also have a demonstrated ability to raise their game when it matters.

Cole Beaudoin comes to mind after reading that article.
His upside isn't the most exciting but in terms of charachter and playing the right way, I'd assume he'd rank high with a front office that is looking to draft winners.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Saw a topic like this on the prospects forum and think it's a cool idea.

Who are the 5 prospects you want the Leafs to draft at #5

Who are the 5 prospects you do not want the Leafs to draft at #5

Which prospect do you see going much higher than current projections?

Which prospect do you see dropping much lower than current projections?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Prospects mentioned that Kloke thinks the Leafs may be interested in:

- Cole Beaudoin "Leafs have shown him extra attention all season," met the Leafs brass, Boston and Dallas also may be interested at 25 and 29
- Yegor Surin
- Matvei Gridin, "Leafs asking more questions about him than most"
- Lucas Pettersson
- Stian Solberg
- Igor Chernyshov
- Charlie Elick
- Sacha Boisvert
- Adam Kleber
- Marek Vanecker
- Ben Danford
- Andrew Basha
- Carson Wetsch
- Simon Zether
- Nate Misskey

Some of these guys may not be available or will be available much later, but he thinks these are the guys with the attributes (namely competitiveness, strong 2nd halfs/playoffs) that Wes Clark covets.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Top 5 Prospects I want the leafs to Draft (In Order)

1. Stian Solberg
2. Cole Beaudoin
3. Charlie Elick
4. Sacha Boisvert
5. Alfons Freij

Tried to pick players in our range

Top 5 I do not want the leafs to pick;
1. Jett Luchanko
2. Henry Mews
3. Aron Kiviharju
4. Tarik Parascak
5. Dean Letourneau

Which player do I see going higher than their rankings?
- Beckett Senecke (I think MTL is going to reach and take this kid, which wouldn’t be a bad pick)

Which prospect do I see dropping past their current rankings?
- Adam Jiricek or Jett Luchanko

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I think the Russian kid is too small.

Hideby is their best shot to be the next franchise goalie. Still unproven though. With Woll being injury prone I expect the need to replace him will be sooner, much sooner, than later.

You can find a half decent 2C every offseason.

It's not a position you normally make a priority when drafting. You are correct defense should be top priority. The urgent need for not one, but two, top four defensemen, one of which is a 1RHD, is a gap not likely to be fill properly through free agency alone.

Which means the Leafs will probably draft a scoring forward with their first pick again this year.
Saros exists

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015

Top 5 Prospects I want the leafs to Draft

1. Stian Solberg
2. Jesse Pulkkinen
3. Jett Luchanko
4. Yegor Surin
5. E. J. Emery

1. Trevor Connolly
2. Stiga
3. Tarik Parascak
4. Dean Letourneau
5. Andrew Basha

- Yegor Surin

- Eiserman

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Top 5 Prospects I want the leafs to Draft

1. Stian Solberg
2. Jesse Pulkkinen
3. Jett Luchanko
4. Yegor Surin
5. E. J. Emery

1. Trevor Connolly
2. Stiga
3. Tarik Parascak
4. Dean Letourneau
5. Andrew Basha

- Yegor Surin

- Eiserman

What do people see in Luchanko!! I’m not seeing it(probably why I’m not a scout haha)

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
What do people see in Luchanko!! I’m not seeing it(probably why I’m not a scout haha)
Frankly, from eye test he doesn't seem to have the greatest skills, but from everything I heard he has all the intangibles to be a 2nd line center (Button said Suzuki-like), which is exactly what we need.

After last year (when we were all shocked at the Cowan's choice and then all amazed how it turned out), I have more trust in our scouting staffs than my own judgement (but it's a fun exercise anyhow to do my own ranking). So I just hope that the pick turns out to address an area of need (i.e., top four D, esp RD, and 2nd line center).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We've been really aggressive though, with the picks/prospects Dubas had been sending out every year, it's wild that we only have 1 post-season series win to show for it.

And they should keep being aggressive not only by trading picks but adding some or making the changes they say they wanna make. It could go a lot of ways. Accepting defeat is loser talk

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Frankly, from eye test he doesn't seem to have the greatest skills, but from everything I heard he has all the intangibles to be a 2nd line center (Button said Suzuki-like), which is exactly what we need.

After last year (when we were all shocked at the Cowan's choice and then all amazed how it turned out), I have more trust in our scouting staffs than my own judgement (but it's a fun exercise anyhow to do my own ranking). So I just hope that the pick turns out to address an area of need (i.e., top four D, esp RD, and 2nd line center).

I just worry he’s run of the mill and he only scored 20 goals last year as a #1 center, that kind of worries me! 5 goals the year before and a bit on the smaller side. Maybe another year in junior he finds the goal scoring

Reactions: Kiwi and KMNRB

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Did you see him in that U18 final against the Yamks?

One game I know but that kid was playing every 2nd shift and helped turn that game around and the Canadians ended up winning

It was probably the best single performance I've seen for awhile, if he's capable of that he's capable of anything

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Did you see him in that U18 final against the Yamks?

One game I know but that kid was playing every 2nd shift and helped turn that game around and the Canadians ended up winning

It was probably the best single performance I've seen for awhile, if he's capable of that he's capable of anything

I hope it's one of those things that teams just end up having 1-2 guys ahead of them when they go to select resulting in him or Stolberg being there at 23.

Wishful thinking though.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Maybe thats what you say when you mean the holes in your lineup are way too big to solve by dealing another late 1st. So you will be doing something else to get a different outcome.
Hope Tre realizes that. I think we’re a couple years worth of really shrewd moves and some good luck away from becoming a legit contender.
It’s time for a lot of hard work and patience .

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
One of my sleepers for later in the draft (either if he falls to 120 or if we trade in). Ranked #117 by Central Scouting. 6'5" 203lbs C/LW with Sudbury. Put up 18 goals and 25 assists this year.

Reactions: howlman

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leafs have met with Cole Beaudin quite a few times apparently, some comparisons there to Boone Jenner.
Given the Leafs window, Tavares age and that forwards are ready quicker than dmen a C would make sense. We need a 2nd pick to land a decent defender. Goalies come with later picks or next year when we have none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad