2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 - Sphere Las Vegas

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If Michael Hage and Cole Beaudoin are both available who do we want?

I’m leaning Hage, he’s got 2C written all over him and a great shot. Ugh I hope we grab a second rounder someway, some how. To be able to walk away with Hage and Elick or Beaudoin and Elick/Brunicke would be a success

Reactions: supermann_98

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Beaudoin fits that category as well if you're looking for work ethic, size and interesting upside.

I will say though that I don't think Treliving has much of a resume of picking big players. Plenty of his picks since his Calgary days were average/small.
Forgot about Beaudouin. He makes a lot of sense, too. I think Tre is looking at size a little more in Toronto because it's something we lacked in the lineup.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Forgot about Beaudouin. He makes a lot of sense, too. I think Tre is looking at size a little more in Toronto because it's something we lacked in the lineup.

Ehhhh I think they care about having the best player in a draft instead of just drafting big players. They took Cowan over some much bigger players for example. Without many top 90 picks, you need to hit a homerun.

We'll see but I don't think the priority is size over potential. Just draft the best player you think.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Any chance they take Trevor Connelly? I doubt it with his checkered past. The Mitch Miller fiascos probably scared them away and in this town controversy hits hard.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
If Michael Hage and Cole Beaudoin are both available who do we want?

I’m leaning Hage, he’s got 2C written all over him and a great shot. Ugh I hope we grab a second rounder someway, some how. To be able to walk away with Hage and Elick or Beaudoin and Elick/Brunicke would be a success
Not going to lie and say I know a ton about Hage, but he sounds like a top 15 talent who fell because of a difficult year for him, personally. Supposedly a super-driven and competitive guy. I'm in.

Reactions: francis246

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
There is almost no shot Elick is BPA at 24. Same with Emery.
Drafts not that deep. Majority of the players are pretty much the same after around 15. Both those guys are probably guaranteed to be top 4 d men and top PKers. Elick has much more potential to have a better offensive game.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Drafts not that deep. Majority of the players are pretty much the same after around 15. Both those guys are probably guaranteed to be top 4 d men and top PKers. Elick has much more potential to have a better offensive game.
Neither are guaranteed to be anything. Top 4 defensemen in the NHL who can't contribute offensively need to be shutdown level on the defensive end and neither one of Elick or Emery are particularly adept at moving the puck.

In the first round you need to be drafting for ceiling and with the likes of Greentree, Solberg (Much, much better than either Elick or Emery imo), Luchanko, and/or Freij being available at our pick there is very little reason to draft either. Defensemen of Elick and Emery's ilk are dime a dozen in the NHL.

Reactions: TMLife17

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Neither are guaranteed to be anything. Top 4 defensemen in the NHL who can't contribute offensively need to be shutdown level on the defensive end and neither one of Elick or Emery are particularly adept at moving the puck.

In the first round you need to be drafting for ceiling and with the likes of Greentree, Solberg (Much, much better than either Elick or Emery imo), Luchanko, and/or Freij being available at our pick there is very little reason to draft either. Defensemen of Elick and Emery's ilk are dime a dozen in the NHL.
What? If you haven't watched them play that's fine but don't say they can't move the puck when that's just not true at all. Emery definitely needs to get better with the puck but Elick can move the puck just fine. Both are good skaters and already sound defensively and on the PK. That alone makes their floor higher than most. I wasn't too high on either a while ago but Elick has grown on me and Emery I won't act like I know too much about because I've seen very little of him but his reach and defensive game is already very good.

Elick on the other hand probably has a higher ceiling because he has shown already he has some offensive potential. His team wasn't great this year but next year they should be pretty damn good and Elick will be the #1D most likely and possibly playing on the PP. So he'll be in the perfect situation to get better offensively.

Friej is just like a lot of other defenders like him. Good skaters but if they aren't producing offece they aren't really doing much of anything. He's weak on the puck and we see players like that all the time not have a good career in the NHL. I wouldn't be mad with picking him because I do like him but is he really better just because his offensive game is better? I think I like the defender who can play defence better and can get better offensively over a guy who is better offensively and not a great defender. I also like Luchanko and wouldn't be mad with that pick.

Reactions: francis246

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

The best defenceman on the board at 23 might by Kiviharju or Hutson, which would cause an aneurysm or two.

Reactions: Brobust

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What? If you haven't watched them play that's fine but don't say they can't move the puck when that's just not true at all. Emery definitely needs to get better with the puck but Elick can move the puck just fine. Both are good skaters and already sound defensively and on the PK. That alone makes their floor higher than most. I wasn't too high on either a while ago but Elick has grown on me and Emery I won't act like I know too much about because I've seen very little of him but his reach and defensive game is already very good.

Elick on the other hand probably has a higher ceiling because he has shown already he has some offensive potential. His team wasn't great this year but next year they should be pretty damn good and Elick will be the #1D most likely and possibly playing on the PP. So he'll be in the perfect situation to get better offensively.

Friej is just like a lot of other defenders like him. Good skaters but if they aren't producing offece they aren't really doing much of anything. He's weak on the puck and we see players like that all the time not have a good career in the NHL. I wouldn't be mad with picking him because I do like him but is he really better just because his offensive game is better? I think I like the defender who can play defence better and can get better offensively over a guy who is better offensively and not a great defender. I also like Luchanko and wouldn't be mad with that pick.

Charlie Elick is a beast, he’s 6’3 and such a smooth skater and he has a point shot. EJ Emery is very boom or bust. That pick could be so good for an organization if he figures it out. I’m leaning towards Elick because I think he’s exactly what we need, but, plays physical and can skate and move the puck.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Button released his final top 60.
It’s like a blender of the Bukula list on SN.
Button has some of the strong D from the top dropping some.
Both lists show 23 will get a good player, and that a trade down from that spot doesn’t look like a bad idea, particularly if a Marner trade yielded a top 10 pick.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Both lists show 23 will get a good player, and that a trade down from that spot doesn’t look like a bad idea, particularly if a Marner trade yielded a top 10 pick.

Isn't Button's list usually pretty bad while Bob's is pretty good?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If I get a top 10 pick for Marner, personally, I'm not going anywhere with 23. Two guys closer to playing soon is better than one, even though 23 is probably a few years away. 23 essentially becomes your 2nd rounder

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Isn't Button's list usually pretty bad while Bob's is pretty good?
I think that’s probably the consensus, ya.

I’m more pointing out that there’s some interesting depth in the first two rounds.

Anyone with input on this guy?

Big LH Finn D, bumped production in the po's this year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think that’s probably the consensus, ya.

I’m more pointing out that there’s some interesting depth in the first two rounds.

Anyone with input on this guy?

Big LH Finn D, bumped production in the po's this year.

Reading up on him, he has mobility/size you'd want but apparently passive on the ice, hesitated both physically and with the puck. Limited upside, puck skills okay and decision making below average. Poor decision making when under pressure for puck retrievals.

Basically, things would need to do a 180 for him to be a 3rd pairing defenseman from what I read.

I haven't seen him play so someone may offer you a lot more than me in terms of information.

Reactions: aingefan

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
anybody seen Pronman has us picking in his mock draft?
He's usually pretty in tune with how things will play out at this time of year.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
100% draft really takes a dip after around 14. Could see a variety of players go then.

anybody seen Pronman has us picking in his mock draft?
He's usually pretty in tune with how things will play out at this time of year.
He has us taking Boisvart, who is a big centre, jack of all trades type, master of none, but has a great shot.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
100% draft really takes a dip after around 14. Could see a variety of players go then.

He has us taking Boisvart, who is a big centre, jack of all trades type, master of none, but has a great shot.
Also I read his dad is a boxing coach so... He could probably punch some Bruins in their stupid faces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad