2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Should Leafs draft a well rounded player, or one dimensional sniper who isn't small and easily defended?

Robertson a sniper, but can be pushed over by a slight breeze.
I'm hoping the Leafs pick up a 2nd rounder and suspect Robertson will be the cost. New GMs tend to disfavor others GMs picks. I.e Verhaege. With no picks next year this draft has to count.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Doubt Robertson gets you a 3rd

I'd rather have Nick Robertson than a third. Guy put up a 40 point pace, in 3rd line mins at 22.

Just to put it in perspective let's look at the third rounders in his draft and who you would take over Nick Robertson.

* Note All Bolded are the only players with over 30 NHL games.

2019 Third Rounders
Matthew Stienberg
Mattias Norlinder
Alexander Campbell
Albin Grewe
Eric Portillo
Zac Jones
John Ludvig

Daniil Misyul
Hugo Alnefalt
Ronnie Attard
Patrik Puistola
Nathan Legare
Adam Beckman
John Farinacci
Gianni Fairbrother
Alex Beaucage
Pavel Dorofeyev
Graeme Clarke
Cole Schwindt
Antonni Honka
Mikko Kokkonen
Ilya Konovalov
Layton Ahac
Lukas Parik
Ilya Nikolaev
Max Cajkovic
Domenick Fensore
Aleksei Protas
Quinn Olson
Colten Ellis

A total of 4 players with only 30 NHL games..... Only Protas is worth more than Robertson. So to me getting a 3rd for Robertson is not worth it when I have a 1/32 chance of getting someone better than him....

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Leafs may very well need to rebuild or retool in 4/5 years.

Drafting defenseman now definitely makes sense. Shouldn't be drafting players for the now

Reactions: TimeZone

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

23. Toronto Maple Leafs (Pick by Wheeler): Liam Greentree, RW, Windsor Spitfires

The Leafs’ pool could probably use a D more than a forward with this pick. I thought about guys like E.J. Emery, Leo Sahlin Wallenius and even Aron Kiviharju and Henry Mews (who I think their development team could get the most out of). But it’s not as though having Easton Cowan, Fraser Minten and company means their forward group doesn’t need more, either. And there are a number of forwards I like a little more here. Terik Parascak’s smarts would fit with the Leafs. I considered Boisvert long and hard. But I still believe in Greentree in this range even after a disappointing U18s and the Leafs’ pool could use a player of his profile with his size and scoring.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Doubt Robertson gets you a 3rd
Ha! Utah would take him for a 3rd. They want help now.

I'd rather have Nick Robertson than a third. Guy put up a 40 point pace, in 3rd line mins at 22.

Just to put it in perspective let's look at the third rounders in his draft and who you would take over Nick Robertson.

2019 Third Rounders
Matthew Stienberg
Mattias Norlinder
Alexander Campbell
Albin Grewe
Eric Portillo
Zac Jones
John Ludvig

Daniil Misyul
Hugo Alnefalt
Ronnie Attard
Patrik Puistola
Nathan Legare
Adam Beckman
John Farinacci
Gianni Fairbrother
Alex Beaucage
Pavel Dorofeyev
Graeme Clarke
Cole Schwindt
Antonni Honka
Mikko Kokkonen
Ilya Konovalov
Layton Ahac
Lukas Parik
Ilya Nikolaev
Max Cajkovic
Domenick Fensore
Aleksei Protas
Quinn Olson
Colten Ellis

A total of 4 players with only 30 NHL games..... Only Protas is worth more than Robertson. So to me getting a 3rd for Robertson is not worth it when I have a 1/32 chance of getting someone better than him....
Exactly. Keep him till TD then. We have no picks next year anyway.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

23. Toronto Maple Leafs (Pick by Wheeler): Liam Greentree, RW, Windsor Spitfires

The Leafs’ pool could probably use a D more than a forward with this pick. I thought about guys like E.J. Emery, Leo Sahlin Wallenius and even Aron Kiviharju and Henry Mews (who I think their development team could get the most out of). But it’s not as though having Easton Cowan, Fraser Minten and company means their forward group doesn’t need more, either. And there are a number of forwards I like a little more here. Terik Parascak’s smarts would fit with the Leafs. I considered Boisvert long and hard. But I still believe in Greentree in this range even after a disappointing U18s and the Leafs’ pool could use a player of his profile with his size and scoring.
Absolutely won't happen. Too many good C and D.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I wonder if Trevor Connelly falls to 23. You have to take him if he does imo. That’s your future stud 2nd line C right there.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021

2019 Third Rounders
Matthew Stienberg
Mattias Norlinder
Alexander Campbell
Albin Grewe
Eric Portillo
Zac Jones
John Ludvig

Daniil Misyul
Hugo Alnefalt
Ronnie Attard
Patrik Puistola
Nathan Legare
Adam Beckman
John Farinacci
Gianni Fairbrother
Alex Beaucage
Pavel Dorofeyev
Graeme Clarke
Cole Schwindt
Antonni Honka
Mikko Kokkonen
Ilya Konovalov
Layton Ahac
Lukas Parik
Ilya Nikolaev
Max Cajkovic
Domenick Fensore
Aleksei Protas
Quinn Olson
Colten Ellis

Speaking of Zac Jones I might kick the tires on him. Rangers don't play him much even though they should have given him a shot. Might be a guy that can move the puck in a 3rd pairing role for cheap?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Stian Solberg is my pick right now if he somehow makes it to our pick. If he's gone then I'm hoping for Luchanko, Surin, Eriksson, Stiga, Brunicke, or O'Reilly.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Stian Solberg is my pick right now if he somehow makes it to our pick. If he's gone then I'm hoping for Luchanko, Surin, Eriksson, Stiga, Brunicke, or O'Reilly.

After having a look at our range I'm keen on Emery, O'Reilly or Luchanko

I'm not sure all those guys get to us but I think one will

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
After having a look at our range I'm keen on Emery, O'Reilly or Luchanko

I'm not sure all those guys get to us but I think one will
What is it about Emery that you like? I've watched a few videos of his game shifts and I didn't see anything special. Even his scouting report doesn't sound like anything special.

I get that he's big, and strong, and he can skate well, but he has very weak puck skills, a muffin of a shot, and doesn't play with the physicality or nastiness you'd want from someone that size who's primarily going to be a defensive defenseman. I'm also not sure about his natural instincts and hockey IQ.

Who would you say is a good NHL comparable for what he could become if he hits his potential?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What is it about Emery that you like? I've watched a few videos of his game shifts and I didn't see anything special. Even his scouting report doesn't sound like anything special.

I get that he's big, and strong, and he can skate well, but he has very weak puck skills, a muffin of a shot, and doesn't play with the physicality or nastiness you'd want from someone that size who's primarily going to be a defensive defenseman. I'm also not sure about his natural instincts and hockey IQ.

Who would you say is a good NHL comparable for what he could become if he hits his potential?

I’ve seen him compared to a poor man’s K’Andre Miller. But I like Elick more. Elick isn’t as good of a skater as Emery but he’s more polished and has refined skills. Emery to me it’s very boom or bust because if he goes to college and figures it out offensively and learns to handle the puck with his skating already as good as it is, you could have a solid top 4 guy on your hands but I think Emery is a second round talent

Reactions: Al4tdsBundy

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Naw I’d rather keep Robertson, he’s the kind of cheap depth scoring we need and with another good offseason hel be stronger on his skates this year.
I didn't say anything about moving Roberts.
I asked if the Leafs should go after a sniper with some heft.

Robertson will be 23 in September, drafted 5 years ago.
He's what 183 lb. according to Elite.
Are we sure there is any more physical growth in that young man?
Definitely, he can improve his game, and he sure the heck better understand being a sniper in junior only carries you so long in adult hockey.
Perhaps the biggest question is does he have enough smarts to play top 6?

However, back to my question ... go for a limited toolbox sniper?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I didn't say anything about moving Roberts.
I asked if the Leafs should go after a sniper with some heft.

Robertson will be 23 in September, drafted 5 years ago.
He's what 183 lb. according to Elite.
Are we sure there is any more physical growth in that young man?
Definitely, he can improve his game, and he sure the heck better understand being a sniper in junior only carries you so long in adult hockey.
Perhaps the biggest question is does he have enough smarts to play top 6?

However, back to my question ... go for a limited toolbox sniper?
The obvious answer is go for more rounded players who can impact the game in more than one way. A one-dimensional sniper is pretty useless if he's fighting it or slumping.

Look at how physical the playoffs have been...I'm watching the semis and thinking: "Leafs are nowhere near this level of tenacity, nastiness & physicality. They'd get eaten alive by any of these other teams."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad