2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The obvious answer is go for more rounded players who can impact the game in more than one way. A one-dimensional sniper is pretty useless if he's fighting it or slumping.

Look at how physical the playoffs have been...I'm watching the semis and thinking: "Leafs are nowhere near this level of tenacity, nastiness & physicality. They'd get eaten alive by any of these other teams."

So that kind of indicates Robertson should be moved.
Wasn't my question, but if a bigger Robertson isn't good, and smaller Robertson certainly isn't.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What is it about Emery that you like? I've watched a few videos of his game shifts and I didn't see anything special. Even his scouting report doesn't sound like anything special.

I get that he's big, and strong, and he can skate well, but he has very weak puck skills, a muffin of a shot, and doesn't play with the physicality or nastiness you'd want from someone that size who's primarily going to be a defensive defenseman. I'm also not sure about his natural instincts and hockey IQ.

Who would you say is a good NHL comparable for what he could become if he hits his potential?

I was a big fan of K'Andre Miller in his draft year and after watching Emery in early games this season and comparing that to the latter games I watched I beleive i can see notacible progression in his game, especially his puck handling
Miller was a forward who shifted to defense and was on the same development arc imo

He keeps on improving at this rate i think he's going to be very good very quickly

He also doesn't need to be nasty if he's big, can skate, has a high defensive IQ and a developing ability to get the puck out of his own end

I've had enough of these average sized guys with average tools, let's get some size with some plus tools who's on a steep development curve and see what we can do with him

Reactions: arso40

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I’ve seen him compared to a poor man’s K’Andre Miller. But I like Elick more. Elick isn’t as good of a skater as Emery but he’s more polished and has refined skills. Emery to me it’s very boom or bust because if he goes to college and figures it out offensively and learns to handle the puck with his skating already as good as it is, you could have a solid top 4 guy on your hands but I think Emery is a second round talent
I had a feeling someone was going to make a K'Andre Miller comp but they are very different players other than both being bi-racial USNDT defenders. Even a poor man's K'Andre Miller doesn't really fit imo. Former Leafs prospect JD Greenaway is what I think a poor man's K'Andre Miller would have looked like skilset-wise if he'd made it.

I liked K'Andre Miller quite a bit during his draft year, as did a number of posters here, but unlike Emery, a lot about Miller's game really popped in most viewings even though he was raw. Emery is a powerful skater, but Miller was just a smooth, effortless skater and glided back there. He also showed much more offensive skill and creativity than Emery (not surprising since he played forward until he was 15). It was on defense where he was more raw, versus Emery who is more raw on offense than he is on defense. The numbers comparison is just night and day.

Miller
USHL
22games 4goals 12assists
NTDP 58games 9goals 20assists

Emery
USHL
27games 0goals 6assists
NTDP 61games 0goals 16assists

Maybe he can be like an Adam Larsson if his puck skills improve slightly? A big guy who can skate and defend and get the puck out of the zone with his passing or skating.

Reactions: francis246

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Has anyone here actually seen Dean Letourneau play? I haven’t so I am not advocating taking him. But the description of him as 6’7” C, good skating, with more than a goal per game, even at a lower level, sounds fascinating to me.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Has anyone here actually seen Dean Letourneau play? I haven’t so I am not advocating taking him. But the description of him as 6’7” C, good skating, with more than a goal per game, even at a lower level, sounds fascinating to me.
A good year to have a 2nd rounder as he could fall.

A good year to have a 2nd rounder as he could fall.
I don't want the Leafs picking guys because we don't have a 2nd.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
So that kind of indicates Robertson should be moved.
Wasn't my question, but if a bigger Robertson isn't good, and smaller Robertson certainly isn't.
I don't know that Robbie is going to be a fit for the Berube system. He gets pushed off the puck much too easily, he's got heart but it just doesn't seem to translate to winning puck battles.

He'd score 25 if he went to a team with lesser talent up front, more PP time, and more patience to let him learn on the job. Chicago/Seattle would be ideal spots

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I don't know that Robbie is going to be a fit for the Berube system. He gets pushed off the puck much too easily, he's got heart but it just doesn't seem to translate to winning puck battles.

He'd score 25 if he went to a team with lesser talent up front, more PP time, and more patience to let him learn on the job. Chicago/Seattle would be ideal spots
So that means marner won't be a fit either than right?

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Mitchy is intelligent enough to play defense & PK. Vastly different player from Robertson who doesn't bring much unless he's sniping.
Pretty sure that pk angles been shredded more than a few times but u can look at the playoff ppg against if you feel different

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Whether it be the fourth round or the fifth, the Leafs should target a goalie this year. And if they do, they could benefit from taking one of these five:

Nicholas Kempf (USNTDP)

Kempf is fresh off an excellent showing at the U-18 World Championship, where he was one of the top goaltenders en route to a silver medal with the United States. The fourth-ranked goaltender by NHL Central Scouting, Kempf’s numbers don’t look great, but the USNTDP juggles play in a variety of different competitions, including against NCAA teams. So you have to take that with a grain of salt, but he definitely has stood out whenever he has played in internationally. He’s very athletic and is never caught watching the puck from the crease. Kempf never quits on a chance, and his quick reads allow him to make some huge stops. I think he’s better than the stats suggest.

Dawson Cowan (Spokane, WHL)

Cowan is no stranger to making some big, highlight-reel stops, showing a keen sense of athleticism. He has quick legs that make him hard to beat and his active glove hand comes up big often. Cowan can be caught reacting too slowly to a shot, and his rebound control isn’t great. But other times, he’ll just turn on a switch and it becomes difficult to get a shot past him. Cowan missed out on 2023 NHL Draft eligibility by just over a week, but he put the extra time to good use with a solid season as Spokane’s starter. He’s only 6-foot-1, though, and he gets beat often from far away. We’ll see how much that affects his draft stock.

Lukas Matecha (Tri-City, WHL)

Matecha looked excellent at the CHL Top Prospects Game earlier this year, making some great saves while playing a half-game. He’s in his first year in North America, and his numbers have been good despite often getting shelled with Tri-City. He’s no stranger to 40-shot contests and often plays some of his best hockey when busy. At 6-foot-3, Matcha has the size teams crave, and I can’t imagine he’ll go undrafted like last year. There’s enough raw talent, mixed in with a good frame, to make him intriguing.

Kim Saarinen (HPK, Finland U-20)

Saarinen stands tall at 6-foot-4 and lets his body do the talking. He covers so much of the net, but he’s athletic enough to stretch out to make more difficult stops when needed easily. He had some rough goes internationally this year, but he looked great back home, reminding me just how good he can be in the zone. He allows poor goals a little too much for my liking but the size alone makes him intriguing – and, for the most part, he’s been good against U-20 competition. Saarinen could be one of the first goalies taken due to the potential with his size, but if he’s available in the fifth round, Toronto should take a flier.

Evan Gardner, Saskatoon (WHL)

Gardner played AAA U-18 hockey with the RINK Hockey Academy in Kelowna a year ago. This year, he finished with a WHL-leading .927 save percentage in 30 games with the Blades as a rookie. He shared the net with veteran Austin Elliott but Gardner was the better of the two goalies, going 21-5-0. He has decent size at 6-foot-2 while maintaining a calm presence in the crease. His rebound control has always been an issue but he moves well enough to at least help compensate for it. Gardner is one of the more positionally sound goaltenders I’ve seen in this class and tracks pucks well, too. The biggest question – was Gardner’s success fueled by having a great team in front of him, or is he the real deal?

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I'd really like to see the Leafs take a player like Cole Beaudoin with pick #23. I have been watching him over the past few years here in Barrie, he is an absolute puck hound, similar to Zach Hyman. His skating isn't as strong as Hyman but he has the smarts and he is a highly committed athlete in the Gym so I only see that improving over time and with development. He has NHL size and tenacity. No I don't see him as a scoring line player in the NHL, just a guy you need on your team to win. That's what the leafs need. Hard nosed workers to get the dirty work done. I will be disappointed if he is available and they don't take him, unless it's for a big strong mobile mean defender (bonus if right handed shot). If they pick another soft skilled player it will be a wasted pick.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd really like to see the Leafs take a player like Cole Beaudoin with pick #23. I have been watching him over the past few years here in Barrie, he is an absolute puck hound, similar to Zach Hyman. His skating isn't as strong as Hyman but he has the smarts and he is a highly committed athlete in the Gym so I only see that improving over time and with development. He has NHL size and tenacity. No I don't see him as a scoring line player in the NHL, just a guy you need on your team to win. That's what the leafs need. Hard nosed workers to get the dirty work done. I will be disappointed if he is available and they don't take him, unless it's for a big strong mobile mean defender (bonus if right handed shot). If they pick another soft skilled player it will be a wasted pick.

I would agree. I think he has potential to get much better overall. I would say if he's around where the Leafs pick there's a good chance the Leafs take him.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Treliving seems to prefer keeping his firsts and drafting every year which is nice, but I think this is a year you gotta move it if you can get a top 4 dman or a good goalie back. We don't have a first next year and have big name players possibly walking.

If Marner is back, we gotta go for it because he is likely walking for free and there is no way with our depleted draft capital and lower end prospect pool we can find the assets to continue to contend.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I was a big fan of K'Andre Miller in his draft year and after watching Emery in early games this season and comparing that to the latter games I watched I beleive i can see notacible progression in his game, especially his puck handling
Miller was a forward who shifted to defense and was on the same development arc imo

He keeps on improving at this rate i think he's going to be very good very quickly

He also doesn't need to be nasty if he's big, can skate, has a high defensive IQ and a developing ability to get the puck out of his own end

I've had enough of these average sized guys with average tools, let's get some size with some plus tools who's on a steep development curve and see what we can do with him
One thing that fans underrate which is heavily valued by professional organizations is the improvement in a prospects game over the course of a season or seasons. Teams value players who show progression because it suggests that they can continue to improve.

I know people roll their eyes at this, but scouts also value size. You can't teach it and as you get deeper in the playoffs it seems all the remaining teams are big, especially on D. To be valuable at 6'0 or below you need to have dynamic skill.

Reactions: weems and Kiwi

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Just described Elick. Elick and Beaudoin are my two favorites as well. Beaudoin I think can surprise and become better than people expect as well. He is a horse.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Unless Yakemchuk somehow drops to us, I'll be taking Yegor Surin and call it a day.

Incredible compete level and a high motor. Good puck skills attached to a very aggressive playstyle.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Unless Yakemchuk somehow drops to us, I'll be taking Yegor Surin and call it a day.

Incredible compete level and a high motor. Good puck skills attached to a very aggressive playstyle.
I have some doubts Yakemchuk gets out of the top 10. Surin plays with a reckless abandon that is really rare in players his age. Late riser. He would be a good pick, I'd prefer to get a center or defencemen, but I like the player a lot.

Reactions: Visnovsky

Scion

May 25, 2012
I'm good with Beaudoin or Greentree if we take a forward
I've been rewatching Windsor games this week, and my goodness does Greentree have soft hands, and not just for a big man, for any sized forward. If he can add power in his stride he could be an impact top 6 forward in the league. My money is still on Luchanko out of the OHL guys though, he does everything at an average level or better. Whichever team gets him is getting a future 2C, IMO.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
for those who have been following the draft prospects closely, how would you rank Elick, Brunicke, and Emery?

Seems like a great year to add a big, mobile RHD to the pipeline.

Jiricek is another option if he happens to fall to us.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
for those who have been following the draft prospects closely, how would you rank Elick, Brunicke, and Emery?

Honestly those 3 are all very similar, and play kinda similar games. Brunicke might have the best upside, Elick probably the most physical. But youre really splitting hairs. I'd be happy with any of those 3, Jiricek as well but don't think he will last till our pick.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

I feel like Brunicke has the highest ceiling of the bunch. Elick and Emery are the much more safer picks though and I feel like Elick has some sneaky offensive potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad