2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't understand this trade.

Unless they had Intel that the team ahead of them was gonna take their guy it makes no sense. Chicago is the rebuilding team. They are the ones that should be hoarding picks.

The Islanders should be too but they keep fooling themselves they can still compete.

They probably need to have a pick in the teens to be able to jump up again.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Re Chicago, it's a little early to have a finalized draft board, but it wouldn't surprise me if their scouting team sees a major drop after 18 or 19 and valued getting on the right side of it. Then either A- there was another shelf in the 50's that they traded over, or
B- 2nd rounder swap was just extracting a extra little value of of pick 61

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Re Chicago, it's a little early to have a finalized draft board, but it wouldn't surprise me if their scouting team sees a major drop after 18 or 19 and valued getting on the right side of it. Then either A- there was another shelf in the 50's that they traded over, or
B- 2nd rounder swap was just extracting a extra little value of of pick 61

It's a bit of a strange trade for sure.

But at least there are a few somehwat reasonable explanations for it. NHL GM's have done a lot dumber stuff than this before. Whatever reason it was a rebuilding Chicago felt necessary to waste a pick in order to move up two spots in the first round I'm sure it was a good one.

Just because I can't think of it doesn't mean it's not true.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Wow, Michael Hage looks ridiculously good offensively. Skating, shot, dangles. Not much of a play-maker and I don't know about his defense yet, but man is he fun to watch.

Reactions: KMNRB

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It's a bit of a strange trade for sure.

But at least there are a few somehwat reasonable explanations for it. NHL GM's have done a lot dumber stuff than this before. Whatever reason it was a rebuilding Chicago felt necessary to waste a pick in order to move up two spots in the first round I'm sure it was a good one.

Just because I can't think of it doesn't mean it's not true.
There is someone they are after. They may feel the second rounders are years away.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Ask any person and they'll give you a different answer for when the draft "drops off".

If its a top 20 draft according to you, then why wasnt 20th overall good enough?

And do you really believe the top 20 will go 20/20 for the first 20 picks on every teams board?
Im giving perfectly good reasons the trade was made. The Leafs would do well to move up if the next Joe Sakic or Shea Weber dropped. Chicago may see it as a drop off where they were. They wanted a certain or better player or they may see the next Joe Sakic. It isnt a stupid trade.Not till draft day. But I do think if the Leafs can get a 2nd rounder, its a good idea.

Last edited:

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
nhl draft
Ask any person and they'll give you a different answer for when the draft "drops off".

If its a top 20 draft according to you, then why wasnt 20th overall good enough?

And do you really believe the top 20 will go 20/20 for the first 20 picks on every teams board?
Maybe they think it's a top 18 draft, but I think it's more likely they have more moves in mind.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Im giving perfectly good reasons the trade was made. The Leafs would do well to move up if the next Joe Sakic or Shea Weber dropped. Chicago may see it as a drop off where they were. They wanted a certain or better player or they may see the next Joe Sakic. It isnt a stupid trade.Not till draft day. But I do think if the Leafs can get a 2nd rounder, its a good idea.
Yes but you won't know your guy is there til your pick is up. This trade makes no sense right now. These trades happen when a team knows their guy is available to pick.

There's surprises every year with teams throwing off the projected rankings. Like Arizona taking Simashev last year, Columbus taking Chinnakov, Boston taking Senyshen way above where they are projected for example. On the other end you get guys that unexpectedly drop far in the draft like Chychrun.

Reactions: kb

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
those asking about Chicago/NYI trade the only thing that really makes sense is Chicago wants to move up significantly like into the top 10 of the draft with this pick but moving from 20 to 9 as an example is probably not likely to happen so they made this deal to get a little closer and might make another to get to 13-14 before the draft. in order for this strategy to work they can't wait till draft day to pull off these moves.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Yes but you won't know your guy is there til your pick is up. This trade makes no sense right now. These trades happen when a team knows their guy is available to pick.

There's surprises every year with teams throwing off the projected rankings. Like Arizona taking Simashev last year, Columbus taking Chinnakov, Boston taking Senyshen way above where they are projected for example. On the other end you get guys that unexpectedly drop far in the draft like Chychrun.
They could be after Cole Hutson, a dman. With that first he could be ready by 2025 season.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Chicago moving to 18 pretty much guarantees that they are getting somebody they really like. Either somebody they thought that was a top 10 talent drops or guys like Jiricek, Hage or Senneke are more than likely to be available in that range. According to the one draft sim online that tells you value of picks those 2 picks they got from the Islanders could move them up to the 11th pick pretty much. If they throw in their 67th pick they could get the 10th pick and I'm sure New Jersey would be willing to move down 8 spots in the 1st to get a 2nd round pick and a 3rd. So possibly having picks 2,10,34,72,138 and 168 probably sounds much better to them.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Sam O'Reilly is growing on me. Liking what I've seen from him since TSN has started televising all their playoff games. I feel like he's gonna have that Cowan D+1 season next year and a lot of teams will regret not taking him.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Sam O'Reilly is growing on me. Liking what I've seen from him since TSN has started televising all their playoff games. I feel like he's gonna have that Cowan D+1 season next year and a lot of teams will regret not taking him.
I feel you're right, The Memorial Cup could make him a 1st rounder. Always liked what I saw. He could be a really good 2C two way center if he pans out.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The strategy to move up is completely valid, I guess the only risk doing so is there's too much fog of war nearly a month out to know how the draft goes down.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Been watching some of the London games during the memorial cup run and he looks like a high energy guy. With a bigger role on London next year he could have that huge jump in production like Cowan did but if we really like him I can definitely see us trading back to pick him up and another pick or 2.
He’s rocketing up draft boards. He will go in the 20’s imo.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I feel like maybe we should just revert back to territorial rights, and claim O'Reilly, Barkey, Dickinson, Bonk etc....

Reactions: aingefan and horner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad