2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
More I'm looking at the lists, depending on how it shuffles out obviously, I'm thinking the Leafs move back and trying to pick up a mid-2nd rounder if they can.
Yeah if a guy the Leafs like is gone, wouldn't mind trading back with someone like Ottawa and getting the 25th and 39th picks, if Ottawa has a guy they really want

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
After his combine I wouldn't be shocked if he went before that
This ranking might be a bit rich for me, but Sportsnet now has him at 12. :confused:

My high-end comp is Robert Thomas.

Conversely, they seem to think Solberg makes it to our exact pick. :eek3:

1000008376.jpg

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Luchanko and Solberg both received votes for best skater and most competitive player on the scouting survey.
Is that scouting survey published anywhere? In that Athletic article even? (my sub expired literally last week - terrible timing haha - and I'm not sold on re-upping)

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
What defines Solberg above everything else is his mean streak. He’s not content just repelling opponents. He wants them to be as close as possible, as it’s then easier for him to press his stick in their back. He inflicts pain every chance he gets, immobilizes opponents, and knocks them away from the front of the net. -EliteProspects 2024 NHL Draft Guide
I have never watched this player but this post made me hard

• Haha
Reactions: Taylor Halls Teeth

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
This guy might be my second favorite defenseman in our range after Solberg but 23 also might be a little high for him at the moment. I really hope we can add a mid-2nd rounder somehow.

Conversely, Teddy Stiga is probably my favorite forward prospect after Luchenko and Surin. He's a play driver from the wing, very similar to Cowan.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
This guy might be my second favorite defenseman in our range after Solberg but 23 also might be a little high for him at the moment. I really hope we can add a mid-2nd rounder somehow.

Conversely, Teddy Stiga is probably my favorite forward prospect after Luchenko and Surin. He's a play driver from the wing, very similar to Cowan.

Big fan of Stiga. Saw a lot of Luchanko in Guelph and he's a beauty! Fast and smart.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Becoming intrigued with Surin. Based on what I've read, decent size and skill as a C, and plays on the edge.

I watched some clips of him the other day and was surprised with how greasy he plays.

I like this post on him from the prospects forum...

Screenshot (1447).png

Reactions: Kiwi

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What about Dean Letourneau? A 6’7” Tage Thompson that can skate?
I'm going to post this and then the kids going to go on to be a hall of famer...

1st things- never seen him play, huge grains of salt.
Regardless of his size, I hate the idea of spending a 1st round pick on a kid out of Canadian Prep/U18AAA. It's the hail mary of hail mary's. Tage Thompson was a late birthday that played his U18 at the USNDP, and put down a solid freshman season (near point per game) in the NCAA to earn his 1st round spot. Why isn't he at least playing GOJHL or OJHL? Scouting is hard enough at the best of times, let alone having to adjust for a giant shredding a league where the majority of kids are going to top out making D3 college 3 years from now.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Theres a reason theres only one Tage Thompson. He also has one of the best shots in the entire league. His shot has always been elite and is a massive part of his game.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I'm going to post this and then the kids going to go on to be a hall of famer...

Regardless of his size, I hate the idea of spending a 1st round pick on a kid out of Canadian Prep/U18AAA. It's the hail mary of hail mary's. Tage Thompson was a late birthday that played his U18 at the USNDP, and put down a solid freshman season (near point per game) in the NCAA to earn his 1st round spot. Why isn't he at least playing GOJHL or OJHL? Scouting is hard enough at the best of times, let alone having to adjust for a giant shredding a league where the majority of kids are going to top out making D3 college 3 years from now.
Looked for a list of nhl players drafted out of that league and couldn’t find one, only one I could think of is Warren Foegele, who happens to be playing in the Stanley cup final right now. If the Leafs take Letourneau at 23 that would make him the second highest drafted player out of a Canadian highschool ever, behind only Mark Jankowski who went 21st back in 2012.

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Looked for a list of nhl players drafted out of that league and couldn’t find one, only one I could think of is Warren Foegele, who happens to be playing in the Stanley cup final right now. If the Leafs take Letourneau at 23 that would make him the second highest drafted player out of a Canadian highschool ever, behind only Mark Jankowski who went 21st back in 2012.
For SAC, Morgan Barron and Warren Foegele - and more recently, prospects Stienburg, Morden, Devlin, Campagna

SAC has been growing in terms of a pipeline, but you usually end up having guys use it as a stepping stone into major or minor juniors - guys like Robert Thomas, Alex Newhook, Michael Del Zotto, Dylan Sikura, and this year's Jack Pridham

But they also play in a Prep School league with Shattuck St. Mary's and Culver, who you'll find several guys being drafted from.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah I saw his name on the THN list around our pick and his highlights on YouTube look interesting but have no idea about Canadian Prep. I suppose this is the definition of a boom bust pick cause if he goes off a la Easton Cowan in Boston College next year how the heck did we let a 6’7” swift skating offensive powerhouse slip through the cracks for a defensive need. Or if he’s a flop you wonder how we ended up with a Rempe who doesn’t Rempe.

• Haha
Reactions: Frostitute

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think at #23 they 90% keep the pick, they didn't trade it for playoff help, they probably had a guy they really wanted?

Alternatively, maybe U18s etc someone they liked moved up the rankings and won't be there, thus, a trade back is always possible.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think at #23 they 90% keep the pick, they didn't trade it for playoff help, they probably had a guy they really wanted?

Alternatively, maybe U18s etc someone they liked moved up the rankings and won't be there, thus, a trade back is always possible.

I'd rather just sit at #23 and take our guy, I'm sure we're going to make some trades so try to make some picks up there rather than trading down

I think they kept the pick because the prospect pool is thin and we've traded away most of our picks recently, can't do that forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad