2024 Draft Discussion

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think this is largely it. Even if you think a lack of high-end puck skills limits him offensively, what are the other available options bringing that make them more likely to produce more offensive (or contribute to the production of more offense).

I don't love MBN's profile early in the draft, but I have time for it in the mid first and later in most years.
Yeah, I think it's pretty likely all of Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton, Helenius, Eiserman, Senecke will be gone by our pick.

So I don't know that there will be a lot of high upside options. I think Connelly is that, but I could understand if for a few reasons the team wasn't interested in him. I think Hage is a good option with good upside, but I understand I am a bit higher on him than the consensus in that regard.

Greentree and Parascak are interesting options, but the skating is kind of rough. I just picked up The Black Book and they are decently high on them both. They gave Parascak a 9/9 in hockey sense which is pretty cool, and were pretty complimentary on the skill of Greentree. Both guys need a good amount of work with skating though.

The rest of the forwards you are looking at are pretty similar in upside to MBN as far as Chernyshov, Boisvert, Hemming, etc.

Personally I am hoping the draft doesn't go chalk and someone slides like Yakemchuk, Senecke, or Iginla. (I also would not hate drafting Jiricek at all at #15.) Honestly I am not even sure I am that into Eiserman anymore?

Reactions: raymond23

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Comparing Holmstrom to Abdelkader in any way is blasphemy.

Holmstrom had a wicked wrist shot, a nicely developed 200 foot game, excellent positional awareness, astounding hand-eye coordination, the endurance of a marathon runner, and a body made of cement. If not for his below-average skating ability he would've been a solid top-six winger in his own right, and likely a full-time first line winger regardless of complementation.

The only thing Abdelkader had was a big weird bouncy butt that Datsyuk could put pucks off of.

If not for being from Michigan and being a Red Wings draftee Abdelkader likely ends up a career 4th liner with more AHL than NHL time.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, I think it's pretty likely all of Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton, Helenius, Eiserman, Senecke will be gone by our pick.

So I don't know that there will be a lot of high upside options. I think Connelly is that, but I could understand if for a few reasons the team wasn't interested in him. I think Hage is a good option with good upside, but I understand I am a bit higher on him than the consensus in that regard.

Greentree and Parascak are interesting options, but the skating is kind of rough. I just picked up The Black Book and they are decently high on them both. They gave Parascak a 9/9 in hockey sense which is pretty cool, and were pretty complimentary on the skill of Greentree. Both guys need a good amount of work with skating though.

The rest of the forwards you are looking at are pretty similar in upside to MBN as far as Chernyshov, Boisvert, Hemming, etc.

Personally I am hoping the draft doesn't go chalk and someone slides like Yakemchuk, Senecke, or Iginla. (I also would not hate drafting Jiricek at all at #15.) Honestly I am not even sure I am that into Eiserman anymore?

Hage is a good option IMO.

Parascak could be a Toffoli, maybe, if he hits.

Boisvert is interesting, but I'd be underwhelmed with him at 15.

---

I'm also hoping a riser goes before Detroit.

If Detroit doesn't trade the pick, just go with BPA.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

---

Boisvert definitely doesn’t generate as much talk as he probably should in this thread. I could see Detroit really liking him.

I think Boisvert, M.B.N, and Luchanko are the most ‘prototypical’ Yzerman/Detroit type picks out of forwards in our range.

I think Greentree, Connelly and Eiserman are probably the most ‘Anti’ Yzerman/Detroit type forwards in our range.

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Boisvert definitely doesn’t generate as much talk as he probably should in this thread. I could see Detroit really liking him.

I think Boisvert, M.B.N, and Luchanko are the most ‘prototypical’ Yzerman/Detroit type picks out of forwards in our range.

I think Greentree, Connelly and Eiserman are probably the most ‘Anti’ Yzerman/Detroit type forwards in our range.

Why is Greentree the anti Yzerman pick? He plays a power forward game and is a solid distributor. He has a skating problem but not a work ethic and defense problem from what I’ve read.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Why is Greentree the anti Yzerman pick? He plays a power forward game and is a solid distributor. He has a skating problem but not a work ethic and defense problem from what I’ve read.
Looked out of shape at the combine. Dedication to fitness seems to be a thing. Doesn’t skate very well. He may be ‘passable’ in his own, but I wouldn’t call him good defensively. I don’t see this brass picking him.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Looked out of shape at the combine. Dedication to fitness seems to be a thing. Doesn’t skate very well. He may be ‘passable’ in his own, but I wouldn’t call him good defensively. I don’t see this brass picking him.

I always see the highest potential in these guys who are behind at physical development.

Because that's the easiest thing to develop.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think the other question I'd put to the MBN train is what qualities do you think he's noticeably better than Kasper was in his draft year? And try to remember how you viewed Kasper then, not now that he's been on a boring if steady development path for two years since. Try to remember when he still had the new toy shine to him.
The huge differentiator is the shot. MBN clearly has a shot that's a potential weapon, and it's one of Kasper's bigger weaknesses.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

---

Parascak is Toffoli with Hyman like ability in the net front role (but with Hyman type of skating issues). Parascak went from minor hockey to over 100 points in the Dub in one season. That's incredible production jump. He seems to find the soft spots on the ice pretty well for just a rookie in major junior hockey.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I always see the highest potential in these guys who are behind at physical development.

Because that's the easiest thing to develop.
You can look at it that way. Or you can say his team missed the playoffs and he had 2 months to get in shape for the combine. As a kid without any money and all the potential in the world and the metabolism of a teenager…. he is still not in shape.

It’s Tough to project that once he has a couple million, some fame and all the freedoms of adulthood and slower metabolism that he will get in better shape. It can always happen. But there is some degree of risk it might not.

I know Greentree is a bigger guy, so it might be harder for him. But Beaudoin is the same size and absolutely ripped.

I personally wouldn’t take Greentree off my board. But we seem to have picked a lot of prospects in great physical condition. Not sure he fits the mould.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
You can look at it that way. Or you can say his team missed the playoffs and he had 2 months to get in shape for the combine. As a kid without any money and all the potential in the world and the metabolism of a teenager…. he is still not in shape.

It’s Tough to project that once he has a couple million, some fame and all the freedoms of adulthood and slower metabolism that he will get in better shape. It can always happen. But there is some degree of risk it might not.

I know Greentree is a bigger guy, so it might be harder for him. But Beaudoin is the same size and absolutely ripped.

I personally wouldn’t take Greentree off my board. But we seem to have picked a lot of prospects in great physical condition. Not sure he fits the mould.
I went through combine results from 2019-2023 and pretty much all our first round picks show up in at least two top ten results for the combine. Greentree isn't on any.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

---

I am going to pass on Parascak at 15, but would consider him later in the first. I think he is 100% hockey IQ which is really fascinating. I think you can get similar upside at 15 from other prospects with more + attributes. If you love hockey IQ and Little Joe, you should love him.

On a completely unrelated note, we should probably be giving Chernyshov much more love than we do. If you are considering Greentree and MBN, why wouldn't you consider Chernyshov as well?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I am going to pass on Parascak at 15, but would consider him later in the first. I think he is 100% hockey IQ which is really fascinating. I think you can get similar upside at 15 from other prospects with more + attributes. If you love hockey IQ and Little Joe, you should love him.

On a completely unrelated note, we should probably be giving Chernyshov much more love than we do. If you are considering Greentree and MBN, why wouldn't you consider Chernyshov as well?

I agree with Chernyshov and MBN. I would not at all be surprised for Chernyshov to go ahead of him in the draft. Greentree is a completely different player and I would not group him with the other two.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I agree with Chernyshov and MBN. I would not at all be surprised for Chernyshov to go ahead of him in the draft. Greentree is a completely different player and I would not group him with the other two.
This begs for more detail. I think Greentree is on one end of the continuum and his general style of play is different (a bit slower and more cerebral). I don't, however, think they are so different in terms of impact at the NHL level that you couldn't consider all three at 15 if you are looking for a wing with average to above average size.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
This begs for more detail. I think Greentree is on one end of the continuum and his general style of play is different (a bit slower and more cerebral). I don't, however, think they are so different in terms of impact at the NHL level that you couldn't consider all three at 15 if you are looking for a wing with average to above average size.

Greentree does not at all play a power forward-esque game. He has significant stickhandling and playmaking abilities along with a great shot. If you are only comparing them size wise, sure they are similar height.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad