2024 Draft Discussion

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Comparing a physical power winger with a great shot that has a mid 1st ranking to a defenseman that was softer than fresh goose shit on a rainy day that most outlets ranked in the 2nd? I do not understand this at all.
Their play styles are nothing alike. What's similar is that I find them uninspiring and they were drafted by the Red Wings so I try to talk myself into liking them

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I have no idea why people think MBN has a low ceiling. He reminds me of a St. Louis Blues 1st round pick that turns into a Tarensenko/Oshie/Perron.

IMO we need to lean into the Vegas model has much as possible. Try to win through depth, forechecking upfornt and length and nastiness on the backend.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
1000019178.jpg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Their play styles are nothing alike. What's similar is that I find them uninspiring and they were drafted by the Red Wings so I try to talk myself into liking them

What’s uninspiring? He had good numbers in a men’s league. They may not jump off the page but he did really well for someone his age there. Especially after the WJC. And he’s looking realgud at the WC.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
connelly is the type talented exciting game breaking winger we need for danielsson/kasper

Hard pass. The dude apparently used his teammate’s bag as a toilet after they played a bad game. Also accused of making racist comments to an opponent. Also that whole swastika thing on twitter. He’s got the makings of someone that can’t get out of his own way.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What’s uninspiring? He had good numbers in a men’s league. They may not jump off the page but he did really well for someone his age there. Especially after the WJC. And he’s looking realgud at the WC.
My concern with him is he would be a Granber/Kapanen at the NHL level. Which is not the worst guy to have. But kind of an energy guy who can score off athleticism.

If we draft him I’ll hope he can develop into Timo Meier, the version we saw with SJ.

Like with any prospect, I think there is a range of outcomes with MBN. Heck I still think there is a decently wide range of outcomes with Kasper a few years after being picked.

My main concern with MBN is his puck skills, but I think he’s solidly a top 20 player for this draft, and probably not someone you should be mad at at #15. I just personally prefer some other players and think they have better upside. We’ll see what Detroit ends up doing. I could see them liking some of these other players, including some that haven’t been discussed as much.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I wasn't a big debrincat advocate, far from it, but the return was better than I expected. That being said, I really don't think we are in a place to be trading assets. Yes, we almost made the playoffs, and rightly should have, but not a true contender. I feel a team should only trade assets to put you over the top. We are not there yet, so unless something crazy falls into our lap, just make to pick. Never seek out a bad trade just because you don't love the options.
I honestly feel this 15th overall pick may very well be a long shot to make the NHL given that this 2024 draft class is said to be average…A team like Calgary may be willing to trade with for they appear more likely to attempt a rebuild (or retool) rather than try to pass themselves off as a legit playoff team.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My concern with him is he would be a Granber/Kapanen at the NHL level. Which is not the worst guy to have. But kind of an energy guy who can score off athleticism.

If we draft him I’ll hope he can develop into Timo Meier, the version we saw with SJ.

Like with any prospect, I think there is a range of outcomes with MBN. Heck I still think there is a decently wide range of outcomes with Kasper a few years after being picked.

My main concern with MBN is his puck skills, but I think he’s solidly a top 20 player for this draft, and probably not someone you should be mad at at #15. I just personally prefer some other players and think they have better upside. We’ll see what Detroit ends up doing. I could see them liking some of these other players, including some that haven’t been discussed as much.
We are drafting 15. I think those expecting an above average, bona fide top 6 forward with amazing individual skill are setting themselves up to be disappointed. Everyone in this range is flawed in some respect. Betting on strong-skating, high motor players with good size is not the worst gamble to make.

I honestly feel this 15th overall pick may very well be a long shot to make the NHL given that this 2024 draft class is said to be average…A team like Calgary may be willing to trade with for they appear more likely to attempt a rebuild (or retool) rather than try to pass themselves off as a legit playoff team.
Well then why would Calgary want to give you anything of value for it?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
We are drafting 15. I think those expecting an above average, bona fide top 6 forward with amazing individual skill are setting themselves up to be disappointed. Everyone in this range is flawed in some respect. Betting on strong-skating, high motor players with good size is not the worst gamble to make.

Well then why would Calgary want to give you anything of value for it?
Mangiapane (decent 2nd line winger) is set to become a UFA after this season…That 1st rounder could be used as part of a package for him, or any other roster player on a rival club.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Bob M... updated top 15 doesn't include Greentree nor Hage.

Sporting news ( B. Murphy) has Hage at 15.

Hockey Writers has Greentree at 15 and Hage at 23, with Iginla at 17

What Bob M has right is at least this; this draft will be unpredictable. A perfect scenario for Yzerman magic? We shall see.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Mangiapane (decent 2nd line winger) is set to become a UFA after this season…That 1st rounder could be used as part of a package for him, or any other roster player on a rival club.
that's how organizations remain shit forever.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
We need to draft like Dallas. They have wyatt Johnston and Stankoven 20 and 21 years old drafted like 24th and 47th overall step up and do things. We need prospects or Stevie needs to let some of our guys do that.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We need to draft like Dallas. They have wyatt Johnston and Stankoven 20 and 21 years old drafted like 24th and 47th overall step up and do things. We need prospects or Stevie needs to let some of our guys do that.
Have you looked at their stats prior to getting called up?

None of the Wings prospects aside from Burger come anywhere close to Stankoven. You'd have to add Mazur and Kaspers stats together, lol.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Those guys were drafted in very strong draft years.

This ain’t that type of year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad