Prospect Info: 2024 Draft, 9th Overall, Zayne Parekh

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Had him at 8, so it’s not like a reach, but Buium getting pushed down was unexpected, and an incredible value pick at 9 - he was my 3 on my personal list

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Had him at 8, so it’s not like a reach, but Buium getting pushed down was unexpected, and an incredible value pick at 9 - he was my 3 on my personal list

Well if he kept falling and both he and Parekh are close, I guess the tie breakers would be RD positional need and less of a signing risk?

Buium did keep falling till 12th

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Well if he kept falling and both he and Parekh are close, I guess the tie breakers would be RD positional need and less of a signing risk?

Buium did keep falling till 12th
I mean, just because he did doesn’t mean he should have. Not sure I would have them as equals, or equal enough that I would let handedness be the deciding factor.

I kind of get the long-term flight risk, but a 9th overall pick shouldn’t be treated as a massive immediate flight risk. It’s rare that they forego typically 3 years of their ELC to become an FA. Worst case he pulls a McGroarty but he’s still an asset then.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Gonna repeat some stats I posted in the NHL Draft thread in addition to some other ones.

-Led all 17 year old players in scoring in the OHL
4th in goals among all 17 year old players in the OHL.

-42nd most productive 17 year old season in OHL history (15th this century, and the only defenseman)

Notable players below him: Nick Suzuki, Shane Wright.

Notable players just ahead of him: Alex Debrincat, Steven Stamkos, Tyler Seguin (only a 10 point gap at most)

3rd highest scoring 17 year old OHL defenseman of all time. The 2 ahead of him are players that played in the highest scoring era of all time (1980s).

Notable players he finished ahead of that were drafted this century: Drew Doughty, Sam Dickinson (same year), Dougie Hamilton, PK Subban, Aaron Ekblad, Alex Pietrangelo.

The closest player to him in production on this list is Drew Doughty.. outproduced him by 22 points.

Ofc for every "notable" player ive mentioned there are also quite a few players that didn't pan out. For one, Ryan Ellis and Ryan Murphy are just below him in the defenseman rankings and didn't exactly light the league on fire, and the only 2 defenseman with higher scoring seasons than him, although different time, didnt amount to much at the NHL level either. But the point of this is his potential is absolutely massive.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I mean, just because he did doesn’t mean he should have. Not sure I would have them as equals, or equal enough that I would let handedness be the deciding factor.

I kind of get the long-term flight risk, but a 9th overall pick shouldn’t be treated as a massive immediate flight risk. It’s rare that they forego typically 3 years of their ELC to become an FA. Worst case he pulls a McGroarty but he’s still an asset then.

In just saying that if the flames had that concern, other teams did too. It's being mentioned on Buium's prospect thread.

I read somewhere this kid might play like Subban, Hughes and Karlsson. Adding to the fact he fills a major positional need in our pipeline, I'm thinking this will turn into a very good pick for us.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I’ve seen him a lot.

Calgary got a D that doesn’t play D. He’s cocky af and you can sell your zambonis because the amount of time he lays on the ice “injured” he can clean the ice at the same time. I’d be pissed if I was a Flames fan.
Seems you're still butthurt over the Memorial Cup...

0628-zayne-Parekh-ohl.jpg

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Brzustewicz is a RD no?

Yes but we needed more.

Bru, Parekh and Boltmann are our RD prospects. Then like 3x the number of players for LD prospects.

NHL roster RD is Andersson, Miromanov, Pachal. It's really thin.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Mine too actually. I had:

1. Celebrini
2. Catton
3. Buium
4. Parekh

I didn't rate the Russians. Just not enough info.

Reactions: User1996

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
In a soon to be 34 team league winning the Cup is no guarantee. So you want to be entertained at least and have players that sell jerseys because of the name on the back. This guy just might do that.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I said pre draft he had the second highest potential of anyone in this draft. We need star talent. Him, Morin and Brewski give us guys who project as top 4 guys. Hopefully Kuzmetsov and Solovyov can compliment them

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Normally, I'd be pretty happy with this pick. The only reason I'm not was because I was all aboard Big Anton Silayev train and he was 100% available.

That said, he was probably third on the list of D that I figured would be available to us (In order: Silayev, Yakemchuk, Parekh, for the D that I figured would be available).

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I’ve seen him a lot.

Calgary got a D that doesn’t play D. He’s cocky af and you can sell your zambonis because the amount of time he lays on the ice “injured” he can clean the ice at the same time. I’d be pissed if I was a Flames fan.
From your post history, you sound like a wildly bitter London Knights fan. I live in an OHL town and Parekh is nothing like what you described here.

You're a hater.

Reactions: Mitts and Lunatik

Matt93

Sep 30, 2005
Seems you're still butthurt over the Memorial Cup...

0628-zayne-Parekh-ohl.jpg
Not at all. Knights won the OHL which is a better achievement than a week long tournament.

I don’t like players that dive and pretend to be injured to draw calls. He was also suspended for spitting on a player. He’s a real class act.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Mo
I said pre draft he had the second highest potential of anyone in this draft. We need star talent. Him, Morin and Brewski give us guys who project as top 4 guys. Hopefully Kuzmetsov and Solovyov can compliment them
Morin, statistically took a massive step back this year. I didn’t get any viewings but for me, that kind of dip in production can be a red flag. I still really like the tools to be top 4, I just don’t know if it’s as much of a guarantee as I thought after he was drafted.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brzustewicz is a RD no?
D prospects...

NAMELD/RDPLAYSTYLENOTES
ParekhRDOffensiveScored 30+ goals @ 17
BrzustewiczRDOffensivePlaymaking, put up 79A
PoirierLDOffensiveMore balanced offensively than Parekh or Bruiser
SolovyovLD/RDDefensiveRussian Tanev
GrushnikovLDDefensiveBig, has physical edge
KuznetsovLD/RDDefensive/Two-Way
JurmoLDPuck RushingLoves to carry the puck up ice, but isn't creative offensively and hasn't put up goor offensive numbers.
BoltmannRDDefensiveReturning to NCAA for a 5th year
HurtigLDDefensive
MorinLDOffensiveSimilar G/A balance as Parekh, but lower numbers overall

Reactions: Nanuuk and Fig

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I love the pick. Parkeh looks like he can be a special player, his ability to see the ice and anticipate plays in both ends is remarkable. His hockey IQ and intelligence to see plays that others don't is reminiscent of Erik Karlsson. And for those that like to see the counting stats, his production as a u18 player is off the charts.

I think the defensive issues are a little overblown for a player of his ilk. He is obviously a bit weak but it's not his game to be a defensive stopper, overall I can't fault his decision making in his own zone. On the defensive side of thing, he reminds me of a lot of things I saw in Quinn Hughes as a prospect. He doesn't put himself in compromising positions and use his skating and puck carrying to alleviate pressure and evade forecheckers. But at the same time, yes, he'll have a hard time defending the cycle and won't be much of a crease clearing presence.

I'm not that hyped on our current defensive prospects. We've added a lot of young bodies on the blueline in the last year+ but they largely look like 3rd pairing/depth defensemen to me. I was hoping Morin could be the exception to that as a potential #4 but now I'm uncertain of his upside. But Parekh definitely is the exception to that and is a potential top pairing guy, and i hope the Flames add a couple more D here in the next couple rounds.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Love this pick. I feel he’s our top prospect.

I wouldn’t say he’s cocky either, but he’s very confident and honest about his game, he has self awareness and I think that’s part of what makes him so good. His skills are as elite as any dman in this draft.

Hopefully he becomes that star dman we need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad